Maine's 10 Anniversary of Caching geocoin - Portland Headlight lighthouse

kayakerinme

In commemoration and celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the first cache placement in Maine, I've created this new geocoin to add to the collection of Maine-related geocoins. Since this is the nation's most photographed lighthouse, it's the exact dimensions of a photographic slide. The transparency is meant to be like a 35mm "negative" but as a positive image, like a slide has. They are trackable on geocaching.com with a unique icon. Maine's first cache is GC128 The For Williams Cache, placed on January 2, 2001, in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

The coin depicts the Portland Headlight at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. You can find more information about the Portland Headlight at the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Head_Light). This historic lighthouse was completed in 1791 and has been in operation ever since. Fort Williams Park is operated by the Town of Cape Elizabeth. You can find out more about the park at http://www.capeelizabeth.com/visitors/attractions/fort_williams_park/home.html

At the time of the anniversary, GC128 had had 1158 logged visits. The cache was replaced and relocated in 2003 and has been hidden in the same location since. It's perhaps Maine's most beat up ammo can :-) All logs from 2003 until now are still in the cache.

Photographs of the coin are attached... the color in the photos is a bit off. The outside is all white on both sides, regardless of how it looks in the photo. The transparency inset has white, green, red, and blue.

In total, there are 300 coins: 50 Gold (G) (Mainers only) and 250 Black Nickel (BN) (for everyone). All are available for the 10th Anniversary price of just $10 each.

The Gold version is limited to Maine geocachers only. Each Maine cacher is limited to ONE (1) Gold version. This version is only be available when you see me in person or make arrangements to pick one up. After the debut event on January 30, there were just 4 Gold versions remaining so I'll hold those for Mainers.

The Black Nickel will be available to all with shipping available. Each coin is $10 plus $2.50 shipping for US addresses for the first coin and $0.50 per coin for each additional coin (e.g., 2 coins are $23, 4 coins are $44).

There are just 300 and when they're gone, there are no more. About 200 remain after the Celebrate Caching event on January 30.

If you have any questions, please post or email and I'll do my best to reply promptly. Please don't send PMs as I don't see those very often.

To order, send an email to: Maine10@kayakerinme.com with your PayPal email address, caching name, name, mailing address and how many Black Nickel coins you would like. I'll send a PayPal invoice for the total amount, then ship on payment. For international orders I'll send an email with a quote for shipping, depending on how many coins and where you are.

If you want to trade, I'm happy to do so as long as it's for a coin I don't already have. These days, that's a lot! Send trade offers to the same email as for orders: Maine10@kayakerinme.com.

Lastly, I do still have some kayakerinme sets in antique silver available for trade. Send me an email for more details.

Black Nickel:

Maine10_BN_Front_sm.jpgMaine10_BN_Back_sm.jpg

The transparency in the Black Nickel:

Maine10_Trans_Front_sm.jpgMaine10_Trans_Back_sm.jpg

Gold (for sale to Mainer's only, nearly sold out):

Maine10_Gold_Front_sm.jpgMaine10_Gold_Back_sm.jpg

Edited by kayakerinme

In commemoration and celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the first cache placement in Maine, I've created this new geocoin to add to the collection of Maine-related geocoins. Since this is the nation's most photographed lighthouse, it's the exact dimensions of a photographic slide. The transparency is meant to be like a 35mm "negative" but as a positive image, like a slide has. They are trackable on geocaching.com with a unique icon. Maine's first cache is GC128 The For Williams Cache, placed on January 2, 2001, in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

The coin depicts the Portland Headlight at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. You can find more information about the Portland Headlight at the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia....land_Head_Light). This historic lighthouse was completed in 1791 and has been in operation ever since. Fort Williams Park is operated by the Town of Cape Elizabeth. You can find out more about the park at http://www.capeeliza..._park/home.html

At the time of the anniversary, GC128 had had 1158 logged visits. The cache was replaced and relocated in 2003 and has been hidden in the same location since. It's perhaps Maine's most beat up ammo can :-) All logs from 2003 until now are still in the cache.

Photographs of the coin are attached...

In total, there are 300 coins: 50 Gold (G) (Mainers only) and 250 Black Nickel (BN) (for everyone). All are available for the 10th Anniversary price of just $10 each.

The Gold version is limited to Maine geocachers only. Each Maine cacher is limited to ONE (1) Gold version. This version is only be available when you see me in person or make arrangements to pick one up. After the debut event on January 30, there were just 4 Gold versions remaining so I'll hold those for Mainers.

The Black Nickel will be available to all with shipping available. Each coin is $10 plus $2.50 shipping for US addresses for the first coin and $0.50 per coin for each additional coin (e.g., 2 coins are $23, 4 coins are $44).

There are just 300 and when they're gone, there are no more. About 200 remain after the Celebrate Caching event on January 30.

If you have any questions, please post or email and I'll do my best to reply promptly. Please don't send PMs as I don't see those very often.

To order, send an email to: Maine10@kayakerinme.com with your PayPal email address, caching name, name, mailing address and how many Black Nickel coins you would like. I'll send a PayPal invoice for the total amount, then ship on payment. For international orders I'll send an email with a quote for shipping, depending on how many coins and where you are.

If you want to trade, I'm happy to do so as long as it's for a coin I don't already have. These days, that's a lot! Send trade offers to the same email as for orders: Maine10@kayakerinme.com.

Lastly, I do still have some kayakerinme sets in antique silver available for trade. Send me an email for more details.

Maine10_BN_Back_sm.jpgMaine10_BN_Front_sm.jpgMaine10_Gold_Back_sm.jpgMaine10_Gold_Front_sm.jpgMaine10_Trans_Back_sm.jpgMaine10_Trans_Front_sm.jpg

Very Nice Geocoin Barry. We hope to visit Maine My husband is been there before but not myself, Really like the pink one on top first pic.

Very Nice Geocoin Barry. We hope to visit Maine My husband is been there before but not myself, Really like the pink one on top first pic.

Thanks! I should note that the colors are a bit off in the photos. The outside is a glossy white, like a slide. There aren't any colors for them. The interior transparency has white, green, blue, and red.

Domo!!!

What a beautiful & uniquely designed Geocoin, this is!

AND, even better when you actually see it, and actually see-through it yourself!!!

Just got mine (TB42Q7Y) yesterday, and Boy! I LLLLOVE IT! Just Awesome!

Just like how I saw the Portland Headlight when also finding Maine's First & Oldest Active Cache, presently owned by kayakerinme himself, the producer of this geocoin as well.

Love the unique and nostalgic form of a "Color Slide" as well! One of a kind!

Thanks Barry for this wonderful commemorative creation!

Happy 10 Years! of Geocaching in Maine! And many more!

~ Dr.MORO

Hi there! I believe that we spoke or e-mailed when I was on vacation in Maine last summer. I don't remember the circumstances, but perhaps it was in regard to the Wherigo in Portland. Anyways, I am very interested in obtaining one of these coins. I can trade a 2010 Wisconsin coin or buy it outright. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Rick