That one container you never mind finding, no matter how many times...

Coldgears

I love nano containers, those small pesky things. I love them so much I have them in my avatar, most other types of caches out-stay there welcome. But, nano's never get old.

What kind of container does that too you?

Any container is fine as long as it is appropriate for the location it is in and that location is worth visiting. That said I'm not sure what would be my favorite but it wouldn't be a nano. They are seldom hidden in places that I enjoy caching and wouldn't often be appropriate if they were.

To me it is more about if an area is saturated with 1 type of cache, LPCs are a common example, about a month ago I had found 6 micro LPCs in one day, all in the same area, all by the same CO. Finally just drove 10 minutes in another direction to get away from them.

But the weekend before last I found 80 caches in 2 days at Cacheapalooza 5, 90% of there were the ammo cans we all profess to love till the end of time, but truthfully I don't want to see another ammo can for at least a month. When the rare micro came up that weekend I was jumping for joy because face it, there are only so many ways to hide an ammo can. There was no challenge to find them, walk 528 feet, look down, wash, rinse, repeat.......

Edited by KI4HLW

Any container with dry contents especially a dry logsheet. :) Ammo cans especially.

To me it is more about if an area is saturated with 1 type of cache.
I found 80 caches in 2 days at Cacheapalooza 5, 90% of there were the ammo cans we all profess to love till the end of time, but truthfully I don't want to see another ammo can for at least a month. When the rare micro came up that weekend I was jumping for joy because face it, there are only so many ways to hide an ammo can. There was no challenge to find them, walk 528 feet, look down, wash, rinse, repeat

This is also true, though the prevalence of geo-trails in some rural/park areas - especially when an event takes place - can make it too easy. And IMO even an easy ammo can hide is nice if the saturation is lighter - sometimes its about the hide, sometimes its about having an excuse to take a different trail.

Maybe that's an idea to bring up with the Crew for CP6...

I love nano containers, those small pesky things. I love them so much I have them in my avatar, most other types of caches out-stay there welcome. But, nano's never get old.

It's nice to know someone likes them... :huh::laughing:

It's nice to know someone likes them... :huh::laughing:

In my area nano's are used almost entirely just to have a cache in an area the CO wants the bring you. Caches larger then a nano are hard to hide, but nano's can be hidden anywhere, so when there's someplace the CO wants to bring you he'll use that because generally that's the only thing that will go there.

I'm an Ammocanitarian. My choice should be obvious. To me, there ain't nothin' like the "clunk-whoosh" sound a 30 calibre ammo can makes as it's being opened. <snip>

...and the smell.:wub:

Now THAT'S a winner. :cool:

Ammo cans have survived all kinds real life hardships.

Fires. Floods. Earthquakes and tornado's...

I have an ammo can cache that was recovered from last springs flood. The container had washed up into a persons property downstream.

The contents, including a Unite for Diabetes TB, were still in the container. The log was intact but the rescuers needed to dry it out. The plastic ziplock had been breached. A good portion of the logs in the book survived. The container had some damage on the hinged side of the can but not at the lid itself. Which leads me to believe that the damaged of the container may have happened before the flood.

Point is, the cache survived. I had replaced the cache earlier with a brand-spankin new ammo can.

The cache had some history. Placed in April 2003. Visited by 184 geocachers INCLUDING billzjeep who had passed away (while geocaching) about a year later.

The cache container was returned to me at last Sundays event that I had attended.

Aside from used parking meters, sculpted goats (or whatever that was), pieces of a heart (or was it an intestine), birds, cows, pigs, chickens, a bucket full of bloody eyeballs, and various other representations . . . I have to go with ammo cans.

Edited by mulvaney

Any container is fine as long as it is appropriate for the location it is in and that location is worth visiting. That said I'm not sure what would be my favorite but it wouldn't be a nano. They are seldom hidden in places that I enjoy caching and wouldn't often be appropriate if they were.

Then, perhaps you should come looking for my nanos! (I think I only have three, but might be wrong.) Appropriate to the location, and in great spots that even you would enjoy! :ph34r:

I also have a number of other micros. Again, mostly appropriate to the location, and most in very nice locations. (Ignoring my sense of humor of hiding a bison tube in Vibrafoam stuck up the butt of a bronze rabbit, hidden in a tree stump off in the woods. But, that was just me trying to be silly.)

Then, perhaps you should come looking for my nanos! (I think I only have three, but might be wrong.) Appropriate to the location, and in great spots that even you would enjoy! :ph34r:

I also have a number of other micros. Again, mostly appropriate to the location, and most in very nice locations. (Ignoring my sense of humor of hiding a bison tube in Vibrafoam stuck up the butt of a bronze rabbit, hidden in a tree stump off in the woods. But, that was just me trying to be silly.)

I am sure that many of yours would be very interesting. But there are just too many people in too small a space in the NYC/Newark area for me. Got any that won't get me into that infamous metro traffic? :laughing:

[i am sure that many of yours would be very interesting. But there are just too many people in too small a space in the NYC/Newark area for me. Got any that won't get me into that infamous metro traffic? :laughing:

Ah. Sorry. That IS where those containers become appropriate. Is this view worth a nano? (No. I cannot hide it on the other side of the fence.)

b4abfd6a-a944-4279-8a42-215df1d24f03.jpg

[i am sure that many of yours would be very interesting. But there are just too many people in too small a space in the NYC/Newark area for me. Got any that won't get me into that infamous metro traffic? :laughing:

Ah. Sorry. That IS where those containers become appropriate. Is this view worth a nano? (No. I cannot hide it on the other side of the fence.)

Great view! Can I get there without getting into that traffic that is so famous? It's not you man. It's me. :laughing:

When I read the title to this thread, at first I thought you were finding the same cache over and over, and that didn't sound like any fun to me :laughing: :laughing:

It depends on what mood I'm in as to what type of container I like looking for. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the really big ones. Sometimes I really want a good challenge.

I'm only tired of finding any of them after a really big run. So then I take a few days off.

I'm an Ammocanitarian. My choice should be obvious. To me, there ain't nothin' like the "clunk-whoosh" sound a 30 calibre ammo can makes as it's being opened. Other containers I enjoy are Therapak jars, Nalgene jars, Lock & Locks, soda bottle preforms and true Bison Design canisters.

I'm with you, Riff. Ammo cans do it for me. (See my sig line)

I really dont have a prefereance. I have found a few nanos that are really memorable because of the hide....then there are a few ammo cans that are memorable because of the journey...I guess it depends...as long as there is something worth while...it doesnt matter to me if it is the hide, the location (or view) or the journey to get there as long as there is something worth while...although there are days that a simple P&G is good too...I've even enjoyed a couple that I didn't even get out of my truck, I just rolled down the window...lol

Great view! Can I get there without getting into that traffic that is so famous? It's not you man. It's me. :laughing:

The NY metro area doesn't even crack the top 10 for worst traffic.

Anyway, I'll never tire of finding ammo boxes because they tend to be in the kinds of places I enjoy visiting. And there is something about the clunk of the container as you pull it out of its hiding place and the woosh sound as you open it that says geocaching.

Today I found an ammo box, the contents of which were soaking wet. I'd never seen such a thing before.

I've had to replace a few of my ammo cans due to NM logs claiming they were wet inside.

One had a corner of a baggie closed in the lid, which allowed water to wick in.

The other two had leaky bubble soap left as swag.

Improper closure and crappy swag can ruin the best container. ;)

Today I found an ammo box, the contents of which were soaking wet. I'd never seen such a thing before.

I've had to replace a few of my ammo cans due to NM logs claiming they were wet inside.

Had one get wet inside, but I know it was submerged periodically in very wet weather. Found one that was absolutely soaked. Oddly enough it wasn't in what appeared to be a particularly wet area and there was no bag or anything inside that might have compromised the seal. The seal looked fine. Never figured that one out.

Had one get wet inside, but I know it was submerged periodically in very wet weather. Found one that was absolutely soaked. Oddly enough it wasn't in what appeared to be a particularly wet area and there was no bag or anything inside that might have compromised the seal. The seal looked fine. Never figured that one out.

briansnat,

Maybe what happened to one of my caches happened to the one you described. See below link:

Log explaining wet cache contents

medoug.

briansnat,

Maybe what happened to one of my caches happened to the one you described. See below link:

Log explaining wet cache contents

medoug.

Nah, I'd have noticed the odor of urine. It was just wet.

Edited by briansnat

I like finding this kind, personally.

<<big photo snipped out>>

Unfortunately we've only found two or three so far. One of them had all sorts of monkey related content, very strange... :D

I saw one of those at a surplus stand in a local farmer's market. It was $15 but all I could think was "Where could I put this honkin thing?"

I passed it by and bought a couple $8 .30cal cans. If I see another I will grab it, even if I can't put it out anywhere, it is just too cool.

I found a bunch online, they're actually pretty cheap. I bet the shipping is murder, though. There's a surplus place here in town I keep meaning to hit, maybe I'll get lucky.

And yeah, it'd be tough finding a spot for it. Though I was really surprised how out in the open the A.P.E. cache is -- amazing that thing has stuck it out for 10 years without disappearing.