Too Good To Be True? PN-40 Price.

4bejeepin

I don't want this to be a sale thread, but I have been debating several GPSr units and ran across what seems to be a great price on the DeLorme PN-40. ePal has it listed at $119, with free shipping, for a refurbished unit. I was a little suspicious but everything seems legit and I paid with PayPal, just in case there are any issues. They also have an eBay store with it listed at $129 for the same thing. I was looking at getting a Garmin Oregon 450 or 550, but for the price of the DeLorme, I think I can live with the differences in features. Mods, if this isn't allowed, please delete. I just thought there might be others interested. I will keep this thread updated with how it works out.

http://www.shopepal.com/p-453-delorme-earthmate-pn-40-handheld-waterproof-gps-remanufactured.aspx

Again, no spam intended. I am not affiliated with ePal in any way. I just saw what seems like a good deal and wanted to share. Here's hoping everything goes as planned.

s1xty7

The price is that low because it's a factory refurbished unit.

First time I've ever heard of someone paying with PayPal "in case there are issues." Usually PayPal is the source of issues. You have far more protections as a consumer if you use a credit card.

Pay Pal only cares that you got the item. If there is something wrong they tell you to bad.

Thanks

I wonder what exactly makes a factory refurbished. I assume it was defective and then repaired.

I think far more frequently than returned as defective, is that they are just simply returned.

Nevertheless, they can no longer be legitimately sold as new.

Consequently, the manufacturer, or agent thereof, runs verification QC checks on them and then puts them back in the marketplace as refurbished or reconditioned.

I have bought half a dozen mp3 players for myself and family members which have been reconditioned and all have performed flawlessly.

I appreciate the various inputs received. Now, regarding the fact that it is refurbished, I have had great success with refurbished items in the past. I would imagine a repaired item undergoes more scrutiny and QCing than those right off the assembly line. They have been individually reviewed and tested where the normal production line may only have a random sampling tested (maybe DeLorme checks them all though).

As for using PayPal for protection, I've had favorable results in the past, but would prefer the transaction to go smoothly. If all else fails, DeLorme may have a repair rate that is reasonable (even if not covered under a factory warranty) that might still result in a cheaper than new unit.

Then there is always the fact that it is cheap enough that if the whole thing turns out to be a write off, then I'm not out big money and the community learns something new. If it works out fine though, it may be a viable alternative for those looking for a decent budget GPS.

In any case, I'll post updates here to let everyone know. I've certainly learned from others being guinea pigs; now it's my turn.

Have a great night.

s1xty7

For clarification purposes, I spoke with DeLorme and they are checking to see if that store qualifies as an authorized reseller (highly unlikely), but did tell me services are still available at their regular rates ($47 to replace a broken screen with a new one, $10 for a new memory door, etc). They sound very willing to assist as need be. It would still be ideal if no PayPal intervention or additional repairs were necessary.

s1xty7

In the past, TigerGPS has been at least one "official" outlet for DeLorme refurbs. I took a peek over there and sure enough they have refurf PN-40's, although their price is $199.

At that price difference, I would be tempted...but cautious. The package on the epay site seems complete. I scanned eBay to see if I could locate their store to see what their seller ratings were like. I couldn't find it (I'm not all that familiar with the eBay organization scheme), but I saw someone else selling PN-40 refurbs also at $199. So the title of your thread is apropos.

It might be a great deal...glad you're pioneering it so you can tell us how it turns out.

Their eBay store has quite a few reviews (over 32,000 with 99.2% positive). And the first 6 comments (didn't look for more) left by people that purchased a PN-40 from them were all positive. I even called and spoke with them today and they said it should ship tomorrow (they are caught up in the bad weather back east). Here is a link to their eBay store: http://myworld.ebay.com/shopepal/

s1xty7

I ended up getting one. $120 with free shipping and no tax is hard to beat.

I didn't know if there was a difference between re-manufactured and refurbished. I found this little blurb online.

When you are shopping for consumer electronics or computer related products, chances are you've seen products labeled as refurbished, remanufactured or reconditioned.

All three terms mean the same thing, and they refer to the product being returned in less than 30 days, sent back to the manufacturer to be inspected, tested, repackaged, and then resold.

Most refurbished products have been sold, lightly used or not even used at all, and then returned. "Once an item is opened, it can't legally be sold as a new product. Often returns are sent back to the manufacturer to be refurbished. But sometimes a merchant's contract with the manufacturer doesn't allow returns or only allow so many. In that case the merchandise may go to a company known as a refurb house which cleans the items, checks them out and packs them in new boxes with manuals and accessories.

If you've ever returned a product at a big box electronics store within the 30 day return policy, the returned product will most likely go through this process and resold as refurbished.

Rest assured refurbished products are not defective and are tested to be in perfect working condition. Best yet, refurbished products sell for anywhere between 20% - 60% off the normal retail price of the product.

Edited by johnvanderlip

The main issue with getting Topo 8 rather than 9 is that the latest firmware update for the 40 is designed to be fully functional with 9 and when used with 8, there is some loss of functionality, primarily with the way files are synched between the software and device. If the unit is used strictly for geocaching then it may not be an issue. Many cachers with PNs never even use the Topo software.

Of course, you don't have to update the device to the latest firmware but it does offer some nice enhancements.

Wow - that sure is a good price even if it is refurbished. I was going to buy the Delorme PN-60 through that Amazon deal for $238, but not sure if it is worth the extra $100 plus. My primarily use will be for taking fishing, marking fishing spots and hiking. Think the refurbished PN-40 is all I need or go for PN-60.

I'm starting to get anxious. Tracking information said the estimated delivery date was Monday, but called the company and they said it had been delayed because of the weather over there (they're in Illinois). Anyway, I already started ordering accessories. I have the DeLorme power kit on the way (waiting to order a screen protector because I hear this kit used to include some), a Transcend 16GB class 10 SDHC card, a GPS Outfitters' MicroPak, and a battery from Cabornay. I debated getting the 32GB, but most seem to run the 16GB and use only a fraction of it. I can always upgrade later and move the 16GB to one of the cameras. I'll likely get the annual subscription too. I didn't realize how many accessories there were for a GPSr, but if I'm going to use this for geocaching and some search and rescue duty, I want to have everything I'm going to need. I'll have to see about the upgrade from DeLorme on the Topo software (maybe they'll do the cost of shipping only deal, but that seems doubtful). So, for the $119 GPS, I've already bought $119 worth of extras, and have a possible $105 more to spend, even at the best prices. :wacko: So much for a cheap entry into the GPSr world. Maybe I should have just used the unit as it was for a little while first, but that wouldn't fit with my tendency to go overboard. Boy, that refurb unit better work out!

s1xty7

You must have posted while I was composing my reply. At this point, based on all of the reading and everything I've done, I'll probably go with a DeLorme PN-40 even if this one doesn't pan out (which I'm sincerely hoping it works out GREAT). Kind of a drag the weather is interfering with me though, but at least I'm not living in that lovely mess. I guess I can be a little more patient. ;) I'll post some pics/details as soon as I get it in my hands.

Edited by 4bejeepin

I'm looking forward to receiving mine as well. Paypal is useless unfortunately and even though the money has been withdrawn from my bank account for a week now the payment to epal is still pending.

I emailed Delorme about the upgrade to topo 9, they sent me a form to fill out and send in with the barcode from the GPS package. It says on it the cost is $9.95 for shipping.

Hopefully it works out. I figure I won't see mine for at least 2 weeks and then another six weeks for Topo 9 so hopefully I'll have a new toy for this spring.

Hmmm, I might have to just go ahead and order the Zagg. I hear good things about it.

And that seems to be great news about the Topo 9. I'll have to contact DeLorme and get the form as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

4bejeepin

Just got off the phone with DeLorme customer service, they said the retail packaging should include an upgrade card to fill out and send in with a copy of the receipt and the UPC from the box, and then it would just be $9.95 to get the new version. We'll see how it goes.

Another update. Just checked my shipping status and the package cleared a sort facility in Illinois this morning, so I'm guessing it'll get here on Monday or Tuesday!

Edited by 4bejeepin

to ease ever ones mind i received my PN40 today from the same place. Looks an preforms like new an it came with Topo 9!! Later

ric

Very cool and great news!

Want to hear back from 4bejeepin and johnvanderlip when they recieve theirs.

Need to keep cost down and this seems like a great deal. I also need to upgrade my computer,

so need to be frugal with money. My son and I started geocaching mid-summer last summer and

I borrowed an old unit from a friend. Would like to get a more up-to-date unit for coming spring.

I would also appreciate hearing comments on actual use of these units.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

to ease ever ones mind i received my PN40 today from the same place. Looks an preforms like new an it came with Topo 9!! Later

ric

That is great news. I can't wait for mine to show up. I hope it has Topo 9. Maybe they have a mixed stock of refurbs, but I would hope they would have run out of the Topo 8 ones earlier. The tracking says it came through a sort facility 4 hours away at 2 AM, so maybe it'll be here today, with any luck.

Thanks for the update.

4bejeepin

Edit: On an unrelated note, I just realized I've been signing with my username that I normally use. :lol: Hah! Since we GeoCache as a family, I used a different name for all of us. Guess old habits die hard.

Edited by 4bejeepin

ric

That is great news. I can't wait for mine to show up. I hope it has Topo 9. Maybe they have a mixed stock of refurbs, but I would hope they would have run out of the Topo 8 ones earlier. The tracking says it came through a sort facility 4 hours away at 2 AM, so maybe it'll be here today, with any luck.

Thanks for the update.

4bejeepin

Edit: On an unrelated note, I just realized I've been signing with my username that I normally use. :lol: Hah! Since we GeoCache as a family, I used a different name for all of us. Guess old habits die hard.

When i talked to them they told me it would have Topo 8 also but it is Topo9! Hope you get Topo9 with yours. Later

ric

A few items showed up today, including the PN-40! It arrived in a Priority Mail package and this was inside (note the refurb sticker):

PN-40_box_med.jpg

Once inside, I spotted Topo 9!!

PN-40_topo9_med.jpg

This is all that came in the box:

PN-40_pack_med.jpg

Aside from the PN-40, my 16GB class 10 SDHC card, my DeLorme power pack, and my Cabbat all showed up. Note the 3 screen protectors that came in the power pack.

PN-40_all_med.jpg

Just need to get the MicroPak to have everything. I'll certainly be modifying the battery cover, charging the Cabbat, and getting updated software, maps, and PQs on this thing as soon as I can (well, it is Valentine's day, so it might get bumped until later). The only odd thing I noted on my PN-40 is that there was a VERY small amount of rust on the cover screws. It wipes right off though. So far, so good it seems.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.

4bejeepin

Very cool... would love to hear your thoughts more on it.

Again, both TigerGPS and the place you got it from no longer have it in stock.

Additionally, TigerGPS sent me an email stating that they will no longer have stock of the

PN-40 because it has been discontinued.

Looks like I'm stuck watching for sales at Best Buy, Amazon, etc for a new unit or get a PN-60.

So far, I like the PN-40 a lot, but all I've been doing is setting up maps and updating software, etc. I'll try and actually use it at some point today. The screen protectors that come with the power kit keep wanting to lift a bit at the edges. It's still functional, but a bit of an eyesore. The PN-60 looks cool, but if I got into that price range, I'd be having a more serious debate about PN-60 vs Oregon 550(t). I thought I heard someone mention a deal for the PN-60 for about $240 a while ago, which seems like a very good price. All in all though, so far I'm happy with my refurb unit. I don't think I'd hesitate to buy any DeLorme refurb, which could end up saving you some extra cash. That's a bummer the one I linked to is gone. Maybe there are a few more that will pop up. I'll update with more notes after I've used it for a while, but it will likely just be a mini PN-40 review and nothing specific to the refurbished unit.

4bejeepin

Edited by 4bejeepin

That is lame. There are a number of places selling the remanufactured/refurbished ones for $175 - $180 (search through the Google shopping section), although at that point, I might just shop around for a good price on a new one or wait for a sale. There have been a few PN-40s in the GPS Garage Sale section for good prices. You could also keep an eye out for deals on the PN-60. It would be nice to have the extra battery life, although my Cabbat should work fine (but can you ever have too much battery life?). I wish you luck in finding something that works for you and fits your budget.

4bejeepin

Last bit of follow up for this thread. Had this for a few days now and have done a number of caches with it in the snow and rain, night and day, and even tossed it around some. I enjoy the device, and have only a few little things I'd change about it. None of the things I'd change have anything to do with it being refurbished. It is exactly what I would expect from a new unit. If you spot a good price on a factory refurbished PN-40 (or any other DeLorme), I wouldn't let the refurbished status keep you from purchasing it. Seems to be a great way to get a quality unit at a lower price. Now I'm off to give this thing a little more use finding weekend caches! :D

4bejeepin

Finally got mine. It took 6 weeks all together after the paypal delay and USPS estimate of 2-3 days was more like 2 weeks. I'm Canadian so I had it shipped to a hotel where I was scheduled to stay and it didn't arrive in time. I finally had a trip back to the same hotel and luckily it was still there after 3 weeks at the front desk.

As for the refurbished unit, It came with Topo 9.0 which was important since I need the Canadian maps. The Delorme Topo maps for Canada are pretty bad though, many key landmarks where I go aren't there and they are on the free icybus topos I use on my Garmin.

The unit appears to be brand new, there isn't a mark on it. I think it was purchased and immediately returned without being used.

Thanks for posting this deal, it's a lot of bang for the buck. No complaints about epal so if they ever get more of these in stock don't hesitate to grab one.