Geocaching.com site update Feb 1st 2011

What happened to the layout?!?

1) Why is the title of the cache now like 20-40 spaces to the right of the icon?

2) Why is the D/T stacked now? It's harder to read

Glad you fixed some bugs and got the site back up quick, but got a few glitches to work through still I guess.

Disable Greasemonky. All will look normal. You need to update the Bag o' Tricks, the Vip List and the Favorite Percentage scripts.

No need to disable Greasemonkey. Just go to this page and click install for any scripts you're using that were just updated (green in the date column).

Well, disabling Greasemonkey was my first step in figuring out why my web page looked so strange. I quickly narrowed it down to the "Bag 'O Tricks" and was extremely happy that you had already updated it. I think that you do a great service to us and I appreciate your efforts.

Around here, it's very common for a seeker to post a NM, the owner to post a Temp Disable, replace the cache and post an Enable, never realizing that there is still a NM on their cache. The cache can go for years with that cross icon. Perhaps a method can be enacted to clear the attribute after an owner enables thier cache. A check box type of system, "do you wish to clear the Needs Maintenance Attribute"?

Just thinking.

I think you are exactly right and people are just now realizing that they have these attributes because of the added visibility of the icon in search results. I'll get a user story added to our database for review so address this. Thanks!

Update -- now the Beta maps don't show any caches at all at any zoom level. Same in IE and Firefox.

We just had a database issue. Statistics and personalization settings on the maps are currently affected. We're working on it; thanks for your patience!

And we are back in operation.

Update -- now the Beta maps don't show any caches at all at any zoom level. Same in IE and Firefox.

We just had a database issue. Statistics and personalization settings on the maps are currently affected. We're working on it; thanks for your patience!

And we are back in operation.

Perfect. Appear to be working fine now. Thanks.

I have been part of Usenet and Internet forums since 1992. I can not remember a day like this. I think that the Groundspeak Lackeys have gone above and beyond in their efforts to engage their users through this major update. You make me feel that I am part of the team, and I appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

:anicute:

I echo some of the comments. It appears the favourites widget is interfering with the cache information.

-Titles are spaced much more to the right.

-Instead of being beside each other, D & T are stacked (as mentioned).

-The javascript favourites feature is stuck in an endless loop.

-There is no break between cacher owner and placed date.

And yes, the tiles & caches in the new map interface are essentially halted.

They'll get it fixed however!!! :) No worries...

This is a good list of the bugs we are currently zapping. Thanks!

Edit: The stacked D/T rating is intended, however.

To be honest, I don't actually mind the D/T stacking - it makes it easier to compare the two figures...

I don't like the large white space between the terrain rating and the Coordinates and thus I would have preferred these numbers appear after clicking to get them rather than being the default setting. Also for me the % is just a spinning wheel until I close and reopen it. [safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4)]

Off to check the map changes now....

All fixed :) thnx..

Thanks for reducing the size of the favorites information box on the “View Geocache Log” when logging finds.

Also, thanks for moving it lower on the page.

Another improvement would be to remove the really lame cheerleading:

Keep it up. Find 6 more geocache(s) to earn a Favorite Point!

Halfway there. Find 5 more geocaches to earn a Favorite Point!

So close. Find 4 more geocaches to earn a Favorite Point!

and so on …

It is hard to imagine there is a geocacher out there who is going to go caching just so they can earn another “Favorite Point.”

What if the site mocked you instead: "Slacker! STILL 4 more caches to go..." :anitongue:

Yea we can probably remove that...

As a slacker it sounds good to me. Thanks.

And, to the Firefox defender ... was it Don J.? We who don't happen to think Firefox is the greatest thing since sliced bread shouldn't have to deal with being sniped at just because we don't want to change.

Edited by two bison

Regarding #24599, once a Needs Maintenance tag is set to a cache, what steps need to be taken to get it removed (i.e., not showing an issue with the status of the cache)?

There are a couple of maintenance attributes on the info column in the search results for 2 of my caches and there is no need for maintenance acording to the logs so how I do I get rid of them?

Post an "Owner Maintenance" log on the cache after taking care of any issues.

Around here, it's very common for a seeker to post a NM, the owner to post a Temp Disable, replace the cache and post an Enable, never realizing that there is still a NM on their cache. The cache can go for years with that cross icon. Perhaps a method can be enacted to clear the attribute after an owner enables thier cache. A check box type of system, "do you wish to clear the Needs Maintenance Attribute"?

Just thinking.

That's a very good idea.

Thanks for bringing back the "decrypt" link in individual log entries within a list. However clicking it does not work on the Mac under Chrome and the iPad under Safari. The page refreshes but the entry is still encrypted.

In user profiles viewed in the iPad Safari, clicking on a tab in a user's profile doesn't seem to do anything. This used to work.

The iPad view of the beta maps doesn't seem to have any controls to allow scaling the map. Pinch doesn't seem to achieve this either (or maybe it is just very slow).

A minor CSS glitch: At the top of an event cache page such as this one, there's a line that starts with "An event cache by". That line is long - especially if the hider's name is long too - and apparently that big long line isn't allowed to word-wrap. For small to medium sized windows, this forces the right-side widgets past the edge of the window, where it's really chilly.

Don't forget us travellers on the small-screen netbooks. Horizontal scrolling isn't the worst thing in the world, but it isn't particularly fun either.

On the plus side, the new maps ROCK.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I am using firefox. When I go to a cache page, I have a white border and it is giving me a huge headache. When I go to the forums I have a green border. The cache page was not like this before the update. I have to get rid of the white border or I will not be able to look at another cache page, gc.com homepage or my stats.

Thanks for reducing the size of the favorites information box on the “View Geocache Log” when logging finds.

and so on …

It is hard to imagine there is a geocacher out there who is going to go caching just so they can earn another “Favorite Point.”

Where do you find

So close. Find 4 more geocaches to earn a Favorite Point

Thanks

and so on …

Where do you find

Thanks

Log a find. The next window that opens is a view of that log. You'll find them there.

Thanks for reducing the size of the favorites information box on the "View Geocache Log" when logging finds.

and so on …

It is hard to imagine there is a geocacher out there who is going to go caching just so they can earn another "Favorite Point."

Where do you find

Thanks

Favorites are a Premium Member feature, you would not see this as you can't earn favorite points.

Hi!

Just some comments from my side:

1. Favorites: The new improvements (percentage, less prominent positioning while logging) start making them kind of more useful now if one likes it. Personally I still will not make any use of them but the changes made them way less annoying now ;-)

2. Beta Maps: They absolutely don't work for me right now!

- Sometimes I'll get an error while displaying the map (yellow bang). I'm using IE8 on XP SP3.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1; MS-RTC LM 8)

Timestamp: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:32:13 UTC

Line: 934

Char: 351

Code: 0

URI: http://www.geocaching.com/ScriptResource.axd?d=505Ei8M7ZlngNGrYollsMqUWHv2KuyjM-SqtQfpvrTXoBek5OkZv6s05YEWA9qqitC_K-lfZdcYHUDAWD2ZUVvVdltGo0_yGkiuOe0zH4HPtnBkmQGBMsQAAZ3LheVZFNP6fr08tsN7QwUe3QgDPbWu2zmLqjHMOSd_dnI4TlNQa4jT_Y_aYFWyb8t2zkDmkEoR7ysXsT0KvjbM3wWANYYbeY-rSZcogqg8JoZaXq4uES2hTmFrXYiOpRSiXdQzt05WH3Pkcp24CQFsNK3DzzmkBHZT1MpKkbi2PCmSynNcRPtwVO8Izj4BqJ3OoQIIJMdo0JrCEKLcT5VMoraeJEge6nrCxREMDpv8avfw1-g_DTImCuPP2SlmGtpOQovxeRcYhD9RcLBUXQ043ESaoocDXaoljmLGenRTAQaN86hZCRm5ZrnSUEmP6LHWFLnsFzIPBsvIxs51CVnVeKim6mDBWZImO8HYzqPS8KOhlA2KwPOa3Woes4PLsYcYVNDL1XePNZwzYU0N6gFYoZYHvB7_apac-QFAPRdJQpyMirzYZE1ZVEVSaoBPYnLxdy4nEe11LnTTFWbu9VOFNjXGmBHTVZOK5f4gEWCuXxwF8X5LgPrzAidRiGkg7XBPg-F24s6TCamLtBwvouSoeGsBJIyctWpV_US2Oys6lDDL9mr0EenQRbNTRxgoenUh92liACXZ437osXvPisPRfiEJSCYwT0uIcvt7vkZKnGPYwwkLZQqVOtJYrIaopRGurt1fXWc2nBSTrh2QlRMU9pM1O5eeVOxlQxDrOQXjAcytlqecEu3CxnenK4Mq2vrxsvBcLgfSVi11xCHoogA0OtlBycd5sJaRi8pjvHGUxTMpHr5BC96Pb0

URI: http://www.geocaching.com/ScriptResource.axd?d=505Ei8M7ZlngNGrYollsMqUWHv2KuyjM-SqtQfpvrTXoBek5OkZv6s05YEWA9qqitC_K-lfZdcYHUDAWD2ZUVvVdltGo0_yGkiuOe0zH4HPtnBkmQGBMsQAAZ3LheVZFNP6fr08tsN7QwUe3QgDPbWu2zmLqjHMOSd_dnI4TlNQa4jT_Y_aYFWyb8t2zkDmkEoR7ysXsT0KvjbM3wWANYYbeY-rSZcogqg8JoZaXq4uES2hTmFrXYiOpRSiXdQzt05WH3Pkcp24CQFsNK3DzzmkBHZT1MpKkbi2PCmSynNcRPtwVO8Izj4BqJ3OoQIIJMdo0JrCEKLcT5VMoraeJEge6nrCxREMDpv8avfw1-g_DTImCuPP2SlmGtpOQovxeRcYhD9RcLBUXQ043ESaoocDXaoljmLGenRTAQaN86hZCRm5ZrnSUEmP6LHWFLnsFzIPBsvIxs51CVnVeKim6mDBWZImO8HYzqPS8KOhlA2KwPOa3Woes4PLsYcYVNDL1XePNZwzYU0N6gFYoZYHvB7_apac-QFAPRdJQpyMirzYZE1ZVEVSaoBPYnLxdy4nEe11LnTTFWbu9VOFNjXGmBHTVZOK5f4gEWCuXxwF8X5LgPrzAidRiGkg7XBPg-F24s6TCamLtBwvouSoeGsBJIyctWpV_US2Oys6lDDL9mr0EenQRbNTRxgoenUh92liACXZ437osXvPisPRfiEJSCYwT0uIcvt7vkZKnGPYwwkLZQqVOtJYrIaopRGurt1fXWc2nBSTrh2QlRMU9pM1O5eeVOxlQxDrOQXjAcytlqecEu3CxnenK4Mq2vrxsvBcLgfSVi11xCHoogA0OtlBycd5sJaRi8pjvHGUxTMpHr5BC96Pb0

- Search isn't working every time and a message window with "Geocode was not successful for the following reason: ERROR" pops up.

- For my home town (Munich, Germany) I only get the map with a kind of tile overlay on top just showing samll borders and a red cross top left of each tile.

- It is soooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooowww ;-)

- Letterbox caches are using green bullets and I do wonder why. At least in my area they usually are more like a multi cache as I do know only one single letterbox cache where the coords directly point to the cache. All the others require some more walking and solving something upfront. So in my eyes they would way better fit into the yellow "group".

3. Statistics:

Looks like not allowing them to be shown in my profile for the public will disable them completely. Not sure if this a bug or a feature ;-)

I guess that's it for the moment and thanks for all the hard work you're doing!

Bye,

Christian

Edited by monsterbox

Hi,

my comments:

- after the update the website seems to be slower than before

- statistics aren't working at all. If I try to change the settings at my account details page, I get an error 500: http://www.geocaching.com/error/500.htm. If I try to look at my statistics, I get "Geocaching statistics are not available at this time."

- Beta Maps don't show any caches for me.

:-(

Bye,

Michael

The updates aren't working!

1) The beta map isn't showing any caches

2) The statistics aren't available

I am located in Belgium!

Hopefully they manage to fix it quickly!

I can confirm this post by RaffeR.

I'm also located in Belgium

PQ error?

From the Active Pocket Queries window, in the preview column, I click the left icon to preview a PQ.

The window opens with a list of 1000 caches...... lets say these are the 1000 caches closest to my home.

I then click the Placed column, to presumably order the 1000 caches newest to oldest......

What I then find is that the list populates with caches that were NOT in the original 1000 cache PQ..... it comes up with caches that are at the opposite end of the UK and even some from the Netherlands appear. The list still claims to have 1000 over 50 pages.

What is going wrong here? Surely the Placed column reorder should display the original 1000 in order newest to oldest?

Anyone any ideas if this is a bug in the software?

Thanks.

If I check "Encrypt this log entry*" when posting a cache log, it removes the line feed formatting for the entire log on the cache page(all text ends up on one long line).

Also there is no "decrypt" button.

The log preview window that comes up immediatly after you submit the log is OK.

Is this a Bug, or supposed to happen ?

Can really spoil the look of a log and make it harder to make sense of.

Beta Maps -

- Default location (Seattle area) seems to come up OK, but if you try to filter out any cache type, ie. multi, then all the caches disappear. This happens at any zoom level at any location.

- If I move to another area (Vancouver Island), at long zoom levels (100km +) all caches appear, although some tiles are very slow - up to 15 sec. At closer zoom, (50-20 km) some tiles do not appear even after 1 min., starting from the West. (50km zoom = 126º cutoff / 20km = 124º cutoff)

The cutoff is not consistent, but at 10km zoom all caches have always disappeared. If you play with the zoom enough even in the Seattle area all the caches will eventually disappear.

Using Firefox 3.0.10 on XP

Overhere same thing: no stats and no caches on the map. Was this ever beta-tested ? I remember an item on the feedback pages that stated that updates are better betatested and that a lot of people would be volunteering to betatest, what happened to that idea ?

Kris

PQ error?

From the Active Pocket Queries window, in the preview column, I click the left icon to preview a PQ.

The window opens with a list of 1000 caches...... lets say these are the 1000 caches closest to my home.

I then click the Placed column, to presumably order the 1000 caches newest to oldest......

What I then find is that the list populates with caches that were NOT in the original 1000 cache PQ..... it comes up with caches that are at the opposite end of the UK and even some from the Netherlands appear. The list still claims to have 1000 over 50 pages.

What is going wrong here? Surely the Placed column reorder should display the original 1000 in order newest to oldest?

Thanks.

That is by design. Your PQ is maxed out, meaning you have it set to return caches out to a radius that exceeds the 1000 cache capacity. When viewing it sorted by distance, it returns the 1000 closest caches, even though the pool you are telling it to draw from is greater. When you then sort by date placed, it sorts all of the caches in that pool by date and returns the 1000 newest. Some (or many) of those newest ones may not be among the group of closest ones.

You should trim down the radius in your PQ so that it is not unnecessarily drawing from caches so distant from the origin. It's best to try to set the radius to a point where the number of returned caches fall at or just below the maximum of 1000.

Two small points.

On the maps parts of the statistics page can the Isle of Man be added as a label and a flag? At the moment that line is blank except for the number of finds.

Thanks; we'll look into this. I imagine that it was expected that Isle of Man would be wrapped into the UK stats, but I can't confirm that.

Secondly a minor point, as I have plenty of spare favourites. Finds 9538, Logs to next favourite point 3. Surely it should say 2?

Events do not count toward favorite points, so you'll need to account for any of those comprising your find count.

PQ error?

Thanks.

That is by design. Your PQ is maxed out, meaning you have it set to return caches out to a radius that exceeds the 1000 cache capacity. When viewing it sorted by distance, it returns the 1000 closest caches, even though the pool you are telling it to draw from is greater. When you then sort by date placed, it sorts all of the caches in that pool by date and returns the 1000 newest. Some (or many) of those newest ones may not be among the group of closest ones.

You should trim down the radius in your PQ so that it is not unnecessarily drawing from caches so distant from the origin. It's best to try to set the radius to a point where the number of returned caches fall at or just below the maximum of 1000.

This is counter-intuitive. When you get a list and sort it, you expect THAT list to be sorted, not to get another list. Making the user adjust the radius everytime the numbers change is (IMO) ridiculous. My closest to home PQ changes the distanct everytime I run it - new caches hidden, caches I find both change the radius. And often I see 2-5 caches at the radius not included because they are above the max number. If I have a PQ set at exactly the radius, then sort that list which of these 2-5 other caches are included?

The files .loc downloaded by a premium member cannot be opened with mapsource.

The same file of caches downloaded by a basic member if they can be opened with mapsource.

The problem seems to reside in the "tags" <difficulty>, <terrain> and <container> that the files include .loc downloaded by a premium member.

Any solution for this problem?

Greetings.

OmortsoN

Los archivos .loc bajados por un usuario premium no se pueden abrir con mapsource.

Ese mismo archivo de caches bajado por un usuario no premium si se pueden abrir con mapsource.

El problema parece residir en los "tags" <difficulty>, <terrain> y <container> que incluyen los archivos .loc bajados por un usuario premium.

¿Alguna solucion para este problema?

Saludos.

omortsoN

This is counter-intuitive. When you get a list and sort it, you expect THAT list to be sorted, not to get another list.

It's not counter-intuitive at all if you realize that the limit is the last step in the process. The selection and sort are done first in one step, not as separate steps, so you can't do select, limit and then sort.

Great overall upgrade! But...............

Maps Beta will not function. Using Win XP with multiple browsers (IE8, Firefox3, Chrome9. Screen is dim and non-responsive, although map and caches, as originally set, can be seen. Need to 'back page' the browser to get out of it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PQ error?

Thanks.

This is counter-intuitive. When you get a list and sort it, you expect THAT list to be sorted, not to get another list. Making the user adjust the radius everytime the numbers change is (IMO) ridiculous. My closest to home PQ changes the distanct everytime I run it - new caches hidden, caches I find both change the radius. And often I see 2-5 caches at the radius not included because they are above the max number. If I have a PQ set at exactly the radius, then sort that list which of these 2-5 other caches are included?

Thanks to your both for your quick reply. I fully agree with The Jester and his/her comments above. If I run a PQ to generate a list, I expect that list to be reordered and not draw in caches from within the set radius. How does one find the optimum radius to select 1000 caches only? This radius figure would, on average, reduce each day, as there are more newer caches in my area than those that are archived. This would require everyone to edit their PQ daily to reduce ( and work out ) the optimum radius. The software currently only returns 1000 max caches and dumps these into the .gpx file, so why cannot it be set to ignore caches outside the 1000 closest?

Thanks. Steve