Geocaching.com site update Feb 1st 2011

Nice to see a much more useful set of upgrades than some of those in the past. I look forward to playing with the maps and the favorites. The stats aren't my thing but with the option to keep them to myself they aren't a big deal. Any chance we will be able to hide our find count in the future in the same way we can hide the rest of our stats?

Nice update!

However, I'm curious about the favourites/premium log ratio. Particularly, will the ratio be affected if a cacher favourites a cache and at some point in the future that cacher is no longer a premium member? Or is the premium status saved with the log data?

Nice update!

However, I'm curious about the favourites/premium log ratio. Particularly, will the ratio be affected if a cacher favourites a cache and at some point in the future that cacher is no longer a premium member? Or is the premium status saved with the log data?

We treat anyone who applied a favorite to the cache like a PM, even if their account lapsed since awarding it.

I echo some of the comments. It appears the favourites widget is interfering with the cache information.

-Titles are spaced much more to the right.

-Instead of being beside each other, D & T are stacked (as mentioned).

-The javascript favourites feature is stuck in an endless loop.

-There is no break between cacher owner and placed date.

And yes, the tiles & caches in the new map interface are essentially halted.

They'll get it fixed however!!! :) No worries...

This is a good list of the bugs we are currently zapping. Thanks!

Edit: The stacked D/T rating is intended, however.

To be honest, I don't actually mind the D/T stacking - it makes it easier to compare the two figures...

I don't like the large white space between the terrain rating and the Coordinates and thus I would have preferred these numbers appear after clicking to get them rather than being the default setting. Also for me the % is just a spinning wheel until I close and reopen it. [safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4)]

Off to check the map changes now....

I've noticed with the new stats page update that the number of finds I show elsewhere on the site (stats bar, profile, etc.) differs from the number displayed in the stats. I imagine this has to do with Moun10Bike's list of cache exclusions, but wondered if the number mismatch was by design or unintended?

I've logged this as a bug on the Feedback forum also just in case.

Darn... I was hoping the stats went offline to fix this issue, but it still shows as mismatched.

I've noticed with the new stats page update that the number of finds I show elsewhere on the site (stats bar, profile, etc.) differs from the number displayed in the stats. I imagine this has to do with Moun10Bike's list of cache exclusions, but wondered if the number mismatch was by design or unintended?

Darn... I was hoping the stats went offline to fix this issue, but it still shows as mismatched.

This is being looked into now. It seems we are improperly excluding some Mystery caches from the stats, which would account for the discrepancy.

This is being looked into now. It seems we are improperly excluding some Mystery caches from the stats, which would account for the discrepancy.

It's not mystery caches per se, but the fact that the moving cache list was being incorrectly applied to these stats (many of which happen to be "unknown" cache types).

It's not mystery caches per se, but the fact that the moving cache list was being incorrectly applied to these stats (many of which happen to be "unknown" cache types).

Stats are down again briefly to fix this issue.

With the new maps I have Enable Personalization chosen (I wish it was chosen by default but I have to choose it every time). With both My Hides and My Finds enabled, all caches, including my placed caches show up with the icon as if I hadn't found it and I hadn't place it. For example, I placed a traditional cache that shows up with the traditional icon instead of the star.

If I disable My Finds, all caches are removed correctly that I have found and all remaining caches that I have placed switch to the star icon.

If I disable My Hides all caches disappear regardless of whether they are my hides or not.

I'm using the most current version of Chrome on WinXP

Thanks for the upgrades they are great!!!

I'm noticing a minor discrepancy with my stats, wondering if anyone else is having an issue? System may just need to sync up...

On my main profile page I see the following (correct)

Premium Member

Caches Found: 849

On the new stats page it's off by 1

Your Caching Chronology

*You've found 848 caches (847 distinct) since your first cache find on 04/24/2003.

Just wanted to let someone know.

Thanks again!

Ming

We just hotfixed a couple issues:

-Souvenirs server error

-Javascript error viewing the Favorites percentage (endless "loading...")

-Stats find count discrepancy

Yepper! This seems to display correctly. Now the only number that doesn't seem to equal total finds is in the distance category, which makes sense if they're being excluded using Moun10Bike's list.

Thanks again Ladies and Gents. :grin:

Thanks for reducing the size of the favorites information box on the “View Geocache Log” when logging finds.

Also, thanks for moving it lower on the page.

Another improvement would be to remove the really lame cheerleading:

Keep it up. Find 6 more geocache(s) to earn a Favorite Point!

Halfway there. Find 5 more geocaches to earn a Favorite Point!

So close. Find 4 more geocaches to earn a Favorite Point!

and so on …

It is hard to imagine there is a geocacher out there who is going to go caching just so they can earn another “Favorite Point.”

Geocaching Favorites

Except for small tweaks here and there, Maps, Stats and Favorites are now in a good state to let the community get to know the features and offer feedback for improvement. But don’t worry, we’re headed back in the lab to develop some exciting new Geocaching toys.

Man, those hamsters must be exhausted. Good job guys, don't forget about changing NA to something more palatable.

Thanks for adding the Favorites ratio.

Thanks for making tabs for the Statistics.

Thanks for allowing users to edit their milestones.

Would it be possible to add the ability to disable certain milestones? I care about my 100th, 200th, etc but not my 5th, 10th, 25th, or 75th; I suspect I'm not the only one.

24599: display Needs Maintenance attribute in search results

Added needs maintenance attribute to "info" column in search results

Nice idea. Now if only we could get COs to properly clear NMs when they do perform maintenance. :P

24904: List of additional caches to add to the traveling/armchair cache list

Added a number of traveling caches to the exclusion list for stats and souvenirs

Now that I've found a Moving Cache I'm especially grateful for this.

24861: Statistics: convert finds per month line chart to bar graph

Converted the graph style in this section of the statistics

I think I like it better this way for me, but I've only been caching for a year. I hope it doesn't look too crowded for people that have been caching for 5-10 years.

Thanks for reducing the size of the favorites information box on the “View Geocache Log” when logging finds.

and so on …

It is hard to imagine there is a geocacher out there who is going to go caching just so they can earn another “Favorite Point.”

What if the site mocked you instead: "Slacker! STILL 4 more caches to go..." :anitongue:

Yea we can probably remove that...

Regarding #24599, once a Needs Maintenance tag is set to a cache, what steps need to be taken to get it removed (i.e., not showing an issue with the status of the cache)?

There are a couple of maintenance attributes on the info column in the search results for 2 of my caches and there is no need for maintenance acording to the logs so how I do I get rid of them?

In the stats tab on maps the flag for the Isle of Man does not appear. My stats are hidden so not sure if you can see them. I have checked a few Isle Of Man cacher's and the IOM is blank for them as well.

I'm early in this thread but it is the "Bag 'o Tricks" script by Lil Devil. He has already issued an update.

Edit to note, I thought I was replying to a different post. I'm sorry for any confusion. With the inception of the new forums, I have done this several times. To many Reply buttons spread out all over the place.

Edited by Don_J

Regarding #24599, once a Needs Maintenance tag is set to a cache, what steps need to be taken to get it removed (i.e., not showing an issue with the status of the cache)?

There are a couple of maintenance attributes on the info column in the search results for 2 of my caches and there is no need for maintenance acording to the logs so how I do I get rid of them?

Post an "Owner Maintenance" log on the cache after taking care of any issues.

24599: display Needs Maintenance attribute in search results

Added needs maintenance attribute to "info" column in search results

Nice idea. Now if only we could get COs to properly clear NMs when they do perform maintenance. :P

Seeing how there is already two posts in this thread asking how to clear that flag, I think making this more visible is going to be a big help.

There are two ways to clear that flag.

But don't clear the flag until AFTER the actual cache maintenance is done.

1. Post an "Owner Maintenance" log to the cache page.

2. Edit the list of attributes and turn of the Needs Maintenance attribute.

Please note that it is bad form to post an "Owner Maintenance" log saying something like "I'll get out there next week to check on it. Don't do this. Wait until AFTER you perform the maintenance, then you should clear the flag.

OK, I think I understand how to do this with active caches, just log an Owner Maintenance log, right?. As a very minor request, I have an archived event (GC1N4W9) that has a NA flag, that I now can't remove. Admittedly minor housekeeping, but when ya get a sec, can you help a fellow cacher out??

Nice update!

We treat anyone who applied a favorite to the cache like a PM, even if their account lapsed since awarding it.

So when someone who didn't vote for the cache premium mebership lapses does the ratio go up?

OK, I think I understand how to do this with active caches, just log an Owner Maintenance log, right?. As a very minor request, I have an archived event (GC1N4W9) that has a NA flag, that I now can't remove. Admittedly minor housekeeping, but when ya get a sec, can you help a fellow cacher out??

Took care of that for you; it took some under-the-covers work, as NM logs are no longer available for events!

Is the beta map still getting updates right now?

I'm not seeing the Premium member only caches on the map. I'm sure this has been mentioned earlier just don't recall reading it.

Keep up the great work!

We did not have time to complete the PMO cache layer, so that will have to wait for another release. Sorry!

Took care of that for you; it took some under-the-covers work, as NM logs are no longer available for events!

Thanks! Sorry for the trouble, but I'm starting to like this feature. Good to be able to split the ones that simply haven't been found from the ones that need help. Cheers!

Thanks for allowing users to edit their milestones.

Would it be possible to add the ability to disable certain milestones? I care about my 100th, 200th, etc but not my 5th, 10th, 25th, or 75th; I suspect I'm not the only one.

Agree with this. I'd also like to be able to enable certain milestones. For example, I'd like to display the 1100th, 1200th, etc., and not jump all the way from 1000 to 2000.

What happened to the layout?!?

1) Why is the title of the cache now like 20-40 spaces to the right of the icon?

2) Why is the D/T stacked now? It's harder to read

Glad you fixed some bugs and got the site back up quick, but got a few glitches to work through still I guess.

Disable Greasemonky. All will look normal. You need to update the Bag o' Tricks, the Vip List and the Favorite Percentage scripts.

I personally think that it was great that Groundspeak worked with Lil Devil and that he was able to roll out updated scripts within hours of the the new site update.

What happened to the layout?!?

1) Why is the title of the cache now like 20-40 spaces to the right of the icon?

2) Why is the D/T stacked now? It's harder to read

Glad you fixed some bugs and got the site back up quick, but got a few glitches to work through still I guess.

Disable Greasemonky. All will look normal. You need to update the Bag o' Tricks, the Vip List and the Favorite Percentage scripts.

No need to disable Greasemonkey. Just go to this page and click install for any scripts you're using that were just updated (green in the date column).

Nice update!

So when someone who didn't vote for the cache premium mebership lapses does the ratio go up?

I'm wondering the same thing. I think I should have phrased my question as "Will the ratio be affected if a premium member logs a cache and does not favourite that cache, and at some point in the future that cacher is no longer a premium member?

and so on …

What if the site mocked you instead: "Slacker! STILL 4 more caches to go..." :anitongue:

Yea we can probably remove that...

Everyone using Firefox removed it a month ago.

Great Job! loving the new updates...

I don't see it mentioned, if it was then please disregard this post.

on the beta maps personalization feature it doesn't display my hides for some reason.. a possible bug?

I see that many of your caches are PMO. We unfortunately didn't get the PMO filter implemented for this release, so you still won't see any on the map.

Post an "Owner Maintenance" log on the cache after taking care of any issues.

Around here, it's very common for a seeker to post a NM, the owner to post a Temp Disable, replace the cache and post an Enable, never realizing that there is still a NM on their cache. The cache can go for years with that cross icon. Perhaps a method can be enacted to clear the attribute after an owner enables thier cache. A check box type of system, "do you wish to clear the Needs Maintenance Attribute"?

Just thinking.