Geocaching Apps on Android needs "android.permission.READ_CONTACTS". Why?

geodhont

Current version of Geocaching application requires 7 specific permissions to execute on android:

android.permission.INTERNET --> OK, you need the get to your back end

android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION --> sort of obvious if GPS is deactivated, I guess

android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION --> Ok, this is obvious.

android.permission.ACCESS_LOCATION_EXTRA_COMMANDS --> Questionnable: what is this used for ?

android.permission.READ_CONTACTS --> NOK -> unacceptable : You do not need this to allow geocaching activities!

android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE --> Questionnable: What is this used for ?

android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE --> sort of obvious to do data caching, story cache info, etc

I would like to understand why Geocaching Android application needs "android.permission.READ_CONTACTS" to run on my android phone.

Geocaching has nothing to do with reading my contacts' list data. Could Groundspeak describe what this is used for ?

If you go to "Search By Location" then "Import from Contacts"...that's why it needs permission to read your contacts.

Thanks for Clarifying. Could Someone from Groundspeak confirm this ?

It could be worth mentionning this into the application description on the Market.

Edited by geodhont

Thanks dakboy.

Of course I read the description provided by the manifest for each of these permissions before posting.

I never created an android apps. Thus it is a little bit cryptic to understand the type of data accessed or the premissions given to APIs or data.

My question is more on what does the application with these permissions ;-)

If you're looking for an official answer from Groundspeak about their commercial application, you need to ask them in the support forum for their app that they created, monitor, and pinned to the top of htis group.

If it's not already asked, post it at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=85

Thanks for the suggestion, robertlipe.

I've created an entry asking for clarification.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75279-geocaching-for-android/suggestions/1444549-clarify-usage-of-android-permissions-required-by-t?ref=title

Do not hesitate to support that request by voting on the "idea".