Searching in the snow

shopdmz

I've always wanted to try geocaching but didn't want to buy a gps just to try it out. Well I just realized that my new Droid phone is a gps so I took my daughter out for our first hunts this weekend. Unfortunately we picked the worst month (and year) to start this hobby in the New Jersey since we just had the snowiest January on record! We went walking through several feet of snow today and found 3 out the 6 we looked for. Some others we didn't even attempt after seeing the giant mounds of snow surrounding the area. We are so bummed because it will take months before all this snow is gone and we can really have some fun, especially with the ones along hiking trails and parks. But my daughter loved finding them and we are hooked.

Anyway, my question is: is there an easy way to tell if the cache is findable in this much snow? I know many say they are available "in winter", but I don't think anyone expected there to be mounds of snow 8 feet high! We are trying to stick to the "park and grabs" and that seems to help. Any tips for searching in the snow would be helpful! Thanks!

Welcome to the obsession! We started in January ourselves in Minnesota a couple of years ago. You can check through the listing of nearby caches on Geocaching.com and look for hides that have been found recently. That's a big help to know that it is findable in the snow. Plus, if it hasn't snowed since the last time it was found, you may be able to see some helpful tracks leading you to GZ, although sometimes it isn't as helpful as you might think since the last cacher may have left tracks everywhere in their search. For now, stick to the more urban,open area, larger types of cache until you can get a feel for what you are looking for. It is a lot of fun to cache in the snow and as you'll find out, it is very different from caching in any other season. Good luck!

The wife and I went caching a couple of days ago in the snow. We love winter caching in Michigan. It adds a new challenge to caching. We found three out of four in a park. That is very good especially since some were under the snow. The more you cache the more you will know what to look for. If the cache is on the ground look for bumps in the snow. It could be logs or rocks. Look for down trees as they will make the snow higher than what is around them. Always have a stout walking stick to prod the ground. Check hints, sometimes they tell you it is in a stump. Finding a cache under feet of snow is very rewarding. At least we have a great time. You won't find them all but with experience you will enjoy the challenge.

Welcome to geocaching. Looks as if you are from my area. There are plenty winter friendly caches around. As Nordicman mentioned, look for recent finds. That is a clue. Also look for caches placed about this time of year in previous years. Many of those where placed with snow on the ground and are likely accessible. I placed this cache last week and it's probably not too far from you. Definitely findable in the snow.

Of course its a lot easier with experience. If you know the kinds of places that caches are hidden, you have a better chance of finding them under snow. But even without experience you can find caches with snow on the ground. If you like I can probably send you a list of enough caches that are findable in the snow in this area to keep you busy until the snow melts.