Benchmarking with a Garmin Nuvi

LSUFan

Paul, here is a partial tutorial I have written up in our local geocaching forum about loading all of a state's benchmarks into your Nuvi for paperless geocaching. I tried to write it for our members just getting started. You are probably familiar with most of the steps and can bypass a lot of it. It's not all the way complete, but I did finish enough of it, to show you what you need to change, to adapt it over for benchmarking purposes. I tried to highlight a few things in the tutorial of where i changed the gsak macro process from geocaching to benchmarking....along with a few things to look out for. Hope it is where everyone can understand it.

I'll try to finish it in the next day or so.

There are probably easier/better ways to accomplish this. I am just posting how I did it for myself. Maybe the professionals will post their expertise.

DISCLAIMER: I can't be held personally liable for anyone who is late for work, weddings, or dinner.....due to stopping to look for benchmarks when your proximity alert goes off on your NUVI. :lol:

http://www.nelageo.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=12706&Itemid=54#12714

Edited by LSUFan

LSUFan hopefully you can help me out. Did you create the benchmark icon used in the macro? I'm having a heck of a time getting my icons to save as indexed. Regular RGB files show all colors for a POI including the Magenta transparent color. I have my benchmarks split up into Adjusted, Scaled and Stations. I use the standard benchmark icon, destroyed benchmark icon and the locationless icon, respectively, for my POI files.

Did you create the benchmark icon used in the macro? I'm having a heck of a time getting my icons to save as indexed. Regular RGB files show all colors for a POI including the Magenta transparent color. I have my benchmarks split up into Adjusted, Scaled and Stations. I use the standard benchmark icon, destroyed benchmark icon and the locationless icon, respectively, for my POI files.

Yes, I did create it somewhat. I think I got it from the Garmin site or a similar one (I will have to see), then adjusted the size to be 16 X 16 bmp image just like the ammo can icon was in the original macro. I put it in the tutorial for others to use (after downloading)

Are you running the macro/poi loader for these three separate types of these benchmarks? As I stated, in my experience so far (the experts may know better), that when you run the poi loader, it's going to encode whatever icon you have set in the poi macro (the folder with the four tourguide named files).

It would be fairly easy to separate your benchmarks with GSAK into the 3 different types as you said (Adj, Scaled, and Intersection Stations). You could generate a gpx file for each of these three.......then run each separate gpx file thru the macro/poi loader process, just changing the icon to differentiate each one each time you run it. (the part where you changed the geocaching icon to the benchmark icon).

Once all three of these different types of gpx files (now converted to pois) are loaded onto your nuvi, they would all show up together as you drive, just letting quickly look at the icon to see what type it is.

Let me look back and see where I got the benchmark icon from, and see if I can adapt the other two also. I don't guess I am familiar with the destroyed benchmark icon, as you stated above. Can you point me to where I can see it?

Edited by LSUFan

2ddcdccc-5eb9-4144-bc0d-b54efe6d1e1b.jpgaa056f10-c710-4066-a4e3-8a0b81d4dc5c.jpg10e6dea0-0db2-4e9b-91db-77c56fe76356.jpg

Of course the way it usually works, I figured out how to do it after I asked. These are the three files I'm using. I pulled the images from different logs for benchmarks and the locationless one from a cache a fellow cacher did.

Good deal, so you got it to work correctly with the icons being in the jpeg format? If you don't mind, I will copy them over to the webpage where I have the tutorial residing, for others to get if they may want them for future use.

2ddcdccc-5eb9-4144-bc0d-b54efe6d1e1b.jpgaa056f10-c710-4066-a4e3-8a0b81d4dc5c.jpg10e6dea0-0db2-4e9b-91db-77c56fe76356.jpg

Of course the way it usually works, I figured out how to do it after I asked. These are the three files I'm using. I pulled the images from different logs for benchmarks and the locationless one from a cache a fellow cacher did.

Good deal, so you got it to work correctly with the icons being in the jpeg format? If you don't mind, I will copy them over to the webpage where I have the tutorial residing, for others to get if they may want them for future use.

No I didn't save them as jpg's. The dang site converts whatever you upload to that. If you want, PM me your email and I'll send the bmp files for you to use.

No I didn't save them as jpg's. The dang site converts whatever you upload to that. If you want, PM me your email and I'll send the bmp files for you to use.

OK, that works. My email is hktire@aol.com

Thanks

I found this subject this morning on GSAK, that already has lot of different icons in the 16X16 bmp format. I downloaded it and there was at least 5 different kinds of specific benchmark icons.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7033

Bullygoat, I also updated the tutorial to reflect your idea. I personally favored the benchmark icon with a ? mark (included in the pack above) for scaled benchmarks.....but that's just my preference. :lol:

Edited by LSUFan

LSU,

I just received a new Garmin NUVI 2460 and am trying to get it loaded via your method. I just tried a test file and got it to load, but the description is cut off about half way through and is missing all of the important data. My first question is there a new GSAK macro that includes the newer models? The output model does not include 24XX series and also what about the new 62 series models?

I tried 8xx and 7xx, but do not seem to get what I need, but I do not know if that is my problem.

I did download the latest POI and GSAK softwares.

This is going to be so great once I can get them to work correctly.

Thanks,

Kurt

LSU,

I just received a new Garmin NUVI 2460 and am trying to get it loaded via your method. I just tried a test file and got it to load, but the description is cut off about half way through and is missing all of the important data. My first question is there a new GSAK macro that includes the newer models? The output model does not include 24XX series and also what about the new 62 series models?

I tried 8xx and 7xx, but do not seem to get what I need, but I do not know if that is my problem.

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt, I am going to go thru some basic stuff first, just to check. When you first put the datasheet gpx file(s) into GSAK (before running the macro), does all the information show up on the datasheet, when just viewing it in GSAK. You should be able to click (or doubleclick) on the pid and get another screen to pop up with the datasheet.....most likely showing it is from an offline database.

2. What conversion utility are you running to convert the datasheets from the dat format into a gpx format (that GSAK can understand)?

I found out the other day that there is actually another poiloader macro out there, that includes everything that Pilotsnipes did with his, and more. Pilotsnipes said he wasn't going to upgrade his anymore because this newer one would do all his did. From the preliminary reading and looking at the screenshots, it is supposed to have some benchmark capabilities encoded into it, which may save us from having to adapt the current one as much as we do. I just haven't had time to download and try it. Maybe someone reading this will kick the tires for us.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8546&st=0entry99234

Edited by LSUFan

LSU,

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt, I am going to go thru some basic stuff first, just to check. When you first put the datasheet gpx file(s) into GSAK (before running the macro), does all the information show up on the datasheet, when just viewing it in GSAK. You should be able to click (or doubleclick) on the pid and get another screen to pop up with the datasheet.....most likely showing it is from an offline database.

2. What conversion utility are you running to convert the datasheets from the dat format into a gpx format (that GSAK can understand)?

I found out the other day that there is actually another poiloader macro out there, that includes everything that Pilotsnipes did with his, and more. Pilotsnipes said he wasn't going to upgrade his anymore because this newer one would do all his did. From the preliminary reading and looking at the screenshots, it is supposed to have some benchmark capabilities encoded into it, which may save us from having to adapt the current one as much as we do. I just haven't had time to download and try it. Maybe someone reading this will kick the tires for us.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8546&st=0entry99234

LSU,

I use the Parkrrr converter, been using it for a couple years. The sheets show up great in GSAK and when I open the .gpx file that was created; I see all the information. This tells me that something in the NUVI is only allowing so much text before it cuts them off. Any idea what the different model export do? Since my unit is not in the list, it could be something in the exporter.

I tried the other macro and got the same problem. I went into the .gpx file and tried stripping out some of the information and then loaded it. The smaller description showed up. Once again, I think the description is too long to fit.

Thanks,

Kurt

Edited by CallawayMT

LSU,

I just tried this again and while I checked a few benchmarks and had the same results with all being cutoff. Then I happened to hold down the screen and the rest of the text started to populate the screen! So this works great, but my NUVI loads so much data and then needs some extra effort to continue loading all of the description data.

Thanks for all the help,

Kurt

LSU,

I just tried this again and while I checked a few benchmarks and had the same results with all being cutoff. Then I happened to hold down the screen and the rest of the text started to populate the screen! So this works great, but my NUVI loads so much data and then needs some extra effort to continue loading all of the description data.

Thanks for all the help,

Kurt

Good deal Kurt. I had sent you an email today, that you can disregard now as far as showing the info. On my nuvi, I have a page down arrow that I use to scroll down the page.

LSU,

Thanks for all the help,

Kurt

Good deal Kurt. I had sent you an email today, that you can disregard now as far as showing the info. On my nuvi, I have a page down arrow that I use to scroll down the page.

Yes my NUVI does have the arrow, but the text just stops and then as I hold the screen the new text scrolls into view. I loaded 4 states and it is a little slow, but no matter where I go I have a waypoints and descriptions. That really helps when you never know where you may be from day to day and not always have time to prepare.

I even got all 4 states loaded on my Garmin GPS Map62S as well. I am amazed at the tools people create and share in these forums. I was in a Trimble GPS processing class today and we were looking at OPUS and CORS processing and commented on how much work we had to go through 15 years ago just to get ONE datasheet. It used to be like getting USGS data, make a request, wait for help. Then we were able to buy the CD's with all the data sheets on them once a year; that was way big. Now we just have to wish for things and here they are!

Thanks to all,

Kurt