geocaching and firearms

shep1369

I have a friend who wants to go caching with me, but I have a problem. He carries a pistol with him everywhere he goes. He is licensed, but most of the caching around here is in an urban area. I own lots of guns myself, but do not feel caching is the place to be carrying a gun. Am I wrong?

It depends on where you're caching. When I'm out caching in the Arizona desert, I pack my Taurus Judge. I have 2 rounds of .45 in case I run into drug smugglers or coyotes (the two legged variety) and 2 rounds of .410 shotgun in case of rattlesnakes. I keep the fifth chamber empty under the hammer as an extra safety.

Some of the hottest and most vile debates I have seen in these forums involve that very issue.

Always comes down to those that think it is a right and duty and those that think it is unwise and unsafe. Hard to change the opinion of either side.

Do what feels right and fully legal to you.

I have a friend who wants to go caching with me, but I have a problem. He carries a pistol with him everywhere he goes. He is licensed, but most of the caching around here is in an urban area. I own lots of guns myself, but do not feel caching is the place to be carrying a gun. Am I wrong?

Not just geocaching, I'd feel uncomfortable going *anywhere* with someone who is carrying a gun <_< Is this guy carrying concealed or "John Wayne" open style? lol

If he is carrying a gun legally it shouldn't make a difference if he is geocaching, shopping, hiking or whatever.

If you are uncomfortable being with someone who is carrying, they by all means avoid it. But if it doesn't bother you during other activities, I see no reason geocaching should be any different.

Edited by briansnat

If you legally are carrying, then sure its fine.

That's highly oversimplified. Having a license doesn't prevent accidents or stupidity.

That's true, but you could also fall off a cliff while hiking. I find the people that are usually uncomfortable around guns are the ones that don't have a clear understanding of them or have never been around them in general.

That's true, but you could also fall off a cliff while hiking.

In which case you only kill yourself. Can't argue Darwin.

Well to change the scenario, you could be hit by a car tomorrow and killed by a "moron". In fact your more likely to be hit by a car than to ever be shot....

I see your point, some idiot can get a gun and shoot someone. But idiots are everywhere and do everything, and since we protect them I guess we sort of do argue Darwin. bad_boy_animated.gif

Well to change the scenario, you could be hit by a car tomorrow and killed by a "moron".

But I can take precaution against that and look left and right before crossing the street. I can't do the same with people who carry concealed guns.

As for the OP's case, the simile would be being passenger in somebody's car when you don't know how good of a driver they are. Only that in today's north american world, having personal transportation is an almost essential need. Having a gun isn't.

In fact your more likely to be hit by a car than to ever be shot....

Because more people have cars than people have guns.

I see your point, some idiot can get a gun and shoot someone. But idiots are everywhere and do everything, and since we protect them I guess we sort of do argue Darwin. bad_boy_animated.gif

Who is "we"? I don't protect idiots who have guns.

Edited by dfx

If you legally are carrying, then sure its fine.

That's highly oversimplified. Having a license doesn't prevent accidents or stupidity.

Nothing can prevent accidents or stupidity or malfunction but (and here I am speaking of my local area as I know laws vary from area to area) having a carry permit or even more so a concealed carry permit means that you have taken and passed tests, both practical and theoretical to prove that you are competent to carry the weapon. You also have to pass extensive background checks. For myself, I feel far safer with that person in the woods than I do on any highway.

Well to change the scenario, you could be hit by a car tomorrow and killed by a "moron".

But I can take precaution against that and look left and right before crossing the street. I can't do the same with people who carry concealed guns.

As for the OP's case, the simile would be being passenger in somebody's car when you don't know how good of a driver they are. Only that in today's north american world, having personal transportation is an almost essential need. Having a gun isn't.

In fact your more likely to be hit by a car than to ever be shot....

Because more people have cars than people have guns.

Who is "we"? I don't protect idiots who have guns.

Look left and right eh?

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/pd%3A-car-crashes-into-home,-kills-man-in-phoenix

More than a need, having a gun is a right.

nothing can prevent accidents and stupidity. you'll have to live in a bubble to best avoid them.

Wrong. Car accidents could be prevented by not allowing cars. Draw the conclusion yourself.

More than a need, having a gun is a right.

Maybe it is where you live. And even then, something being a right doesn't mean that it's necessary. Furthermore, laws are never perfect either. Many times, quite the contrary is the case (funnily enough, especially in the US - see DMCA etc).

Edited by dfx

You guys have turned this into a gun control issue and that's not what the question was, but trying to keep it on topic would be pointless I guess. The OP as stated that he owns guns, so he as no problems with that. Since they are friends, I would assume they go other places together, and since the guy always carries, I assume the OP doesn't have a problem with him carrying other places. As someone else said, I don't see why you would have a problem with him carrying while caching then, it's no different than carrying anywhere else.

I'm not even going to way in on the whole gun control issue. Never talk politics, religion, or gun control. It's like wrestling with pigs, you just come out dirty and the pig enjoys it. :laughing:

You guys have turned this into a gun control issue and that's not what the question was, but trying to keep it on topic would be pointless I guess. The OP as stated that he owns guns, so he as no problems with that. Since they are friends, I would assume they go other places together, and since the guy always carries, I assume the OP doesn't have a problem with him carrying other places. As someone else said, I don't see why you would have a problem with him carrying while caching then, it's no different than carrying anywhere else.

I'm not even going to way in on the whole gun control issue. Never talk politics, religion, or gun control. It's like wrestling with pigs, you just come out dirty and the pig enjoys it. :laughing:

I support cache and carry. :laughing::laughing::laughing: