I think this caching business is getting a little addictive

Rachelorch

I went out on my first hunt last night (well afternoon) and managed to find one, i did go looking for another but it was in a graveyard and i felt a little uncomfortable so left without searching.

I also went today looking for some and managed to find a few, got home and my other half is now looking at maps and gps systems, the kids are on about searching after school. I think this is more addictive than i thought. especially since i received a few emails from people and am really pleased with how friendly everyone seems to be. so i guess i will be out caching in the week aswell.

(i wasnt trying to make a pointless topic, just pointing out that as a complete noob i am really enjoying the game)

No journey, however short. No holiday, no matter where. No trip to see friends...(etc, etc..) will ever be the same. You'll find yourself checking your route for caches that you can 'do on the way'.

Its a fact! But don't worry too much, just allow a little extra time...

Welcome to the hobby, and enjoy yourself.

haha thats what happened today, we was suposed to be going to the beach at st andrews to collect some sea water from the bay there. didnt get to the beach because we found plenty of caches to look for and it was dark by the time we remembered the beach. looks like i will have to go to kirkcaldy for the water in the week, (via the 27 caches on the way of corse just dont tell hubby)

I am really enjoying finding. i just wish i had more time during the week so i could go looking for more.

Definite signs of addiction, I'm afraid there is little hope for you :D

No journey, however short. No holiday, no matter where. No trip to see friends...(etc, etc..) will ever be the same. You'll find yourself checking your route for caches that you can 'do on the way'.

The time to worry is when you feel "normal life" gets in the way of caching

lol. but i dont have a problem, your only an addict if you have a problem or are dependent according to the official meaning of the word, so its all good :)

however, i do need to buy a GPS something or another. so will be selling my scanners and whatever else may get me some decent paypal cudos to buy one.

ohh, and what constitutes a good swap item? i made some little soaps but after reading the bad swap thread think they might be a crappy thing.

 sooo true.

lol. but i dont have a problem, your only an addict if you have a problem or are dependent according to the official meaning of the word, so its all good :)

however, i do need to buy a GPS something or another. so will be selling my scanners and whatever else may get me some decent paypal cudos to buy one.

ohh, and what constitutes a good swap item? i made some little soaps but after reading the bad swap thread think they might be a crappy thing.

You aren't an addict and you don't have a problem, but you are going to sell your scanners and stuff to buy a gps..

Trust me - you've got the bug ;) and you *are* an addict - welcome!!

Oh that's very well said!!!!!!!!! Of course no expenses with this addiction - I haven't gone on more hols in the last year just to seek out caches and I'm not going to Wales this year just for a little event that might be happening about there!!!!!!!! Ahem!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy it all - it's a good healthy addiction to have :lol:

try to leave something of the same value as you take or better still trade up leaving something that is worth a little more.

soap might not be a good idea, the perfume may attract vermin and if water gets into the box it will turn into a gooey mess and not nice for the next person

i made the mistake of typing in gps and nearly had a heart atack at the price, i think second hand is definatley the way to go

You can certainly spend a lot of cash on a GPS. You can get them very cheaply used but as always you get what you pay for. The cheapest ones will tend to lose signal under tree cover, not support maps etc.

A Garmin Legend HCx isn't bad. The 'H' receiver is good under tree cover, it's got a colour screen and you can put Talky Toaster's maps on it too. New they go for £130.

It won't do paperless but there are some kind of work arounds out there and it won't do OS mapping. I found many caches with mine until the GPSr envy hit and I bought my 550 (which is truly amazing and I wouldn't now go back)

Edited by Andy K!

Thank you for recomending the gps to me, I will go and have a look at those. £130 isnt as much as i originally thought i might be paying for a gps so will definatley go and look at them. I really want to continue using maps aswel as gps. its an important skill especially for kids to learn so i would be able to use both methods when out on a walk.

Welcome to the great game, Rachelorch!

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and use that in conjunction with real OS maps. I already owned quite a few of the 1:25000 series and have added a few more to my collection since discovering geocaching.

When planning a route, I use Google Earth satellite view and just draw little crosses on my OS map that correspond to the cache locations. Then I use the map in the field to decide which path to take etc., and use the GPSr for the last 200' or so to pinpoint the cache.

My long-term plan is to upgrade to an all-singing all-dancing paperless GPSr at some point in the future.

Thanks for all of your replies.

well it seems i may (possibly) be becoming addicted.

I went to the gp's today, I was off to a smoking cesation apointment. but on the way, there just happened to be pne that i was able to grab. i decided not to do this and take a ten mile de tour and collect the one in a park.

then i had to go and order a gps

maybee its nicotene reaplacement therapy :)

Thanks for all of your replies.

well it seems i may (possibly) be becoming addicted.

I went to the gp's today, I was off to a smoking cesation apointment. but on the way, there just happened to be pne that i was able to grab. i decided not to do this and take a ten mile de tour and collect the one in a park.

then i had to go and order a gps

maybee its nicotene reaplacement therapy :)

So which one have you ordered? Don't keep us in suspense.

I am like a kid at christmas lol. there is a cache at the end of my road, i have been there four times in the last 2 days and cant find it, so hopefully it will help me out with that. then there is lochore meadows with the umptine ones there. ohh and benarty hill. ohh then theres the others ohhh i am getting ahead of myself.

ohh, what do i do with geo coins, do i put them in the next box like travel bugs or just log that i saw it?

Re: Travel bugs and / or geocoins.

They are not treated the same as swap items in the cache - you don't need to trade for them in any way - If you want to retrieve one to help it along on its journey then do so.

It's a really good idea to make a note of the tracking number of any TB or geocoin as soon as you take it from a cache because if you have any difficulty, or make any mistakes, with the logging it can always be corrected if you have the tracking number to hand.

There's a full explanation of how it works here:

How to log a travel bug or geocoin.

MrsB

I think there is one in the cache i am hoping to go for later on

Bear in mind that geocoins are susceptible to theft so you can often see a coin listed as being in a cache but it isn't there when you visit; this can also happen if someone legitimately retrieves a coin (or TB) but hasn't had chance to log the cache yet (e.g. they're on holiday). If you visit a cache which has a TB or coin on it's cache page, but it isn't in the box then mention the fact when you log the cache - that way it will soon become apparent to others that the item is missing and the owner can mark it as location unknown.

Thank you for recomending the gps to me, I will go and have a look at those. £130 isnt as much as i originally thought i might be paying for a gps so will definatley go and look at them. I really want to continue using maps aswel as gps. its an important skill especially for kids to learn so i would be able to use both methods when out on a walk.

Garmin basic low as £20 to £35 and use a os map,saves cash and great for the important skills for kids.

update bit late see youv got a H :laughing:

Edited by Geobuzzbee

I received my new one today. I have had a little play with it but havent had a chance to sit down and properly look at it because we went to england house hunting.

good luck and enjoy iv had the Gramin and live in a forest and never had any DNFs under full summer cover even,only been caching few months but hooked for life, new places i wouldnt even think of going to,opened lots of areas to the family free days out :)