Twittering on Cache pages.

Over the past couple of months I have noticed (in Melbourne at least) more and more people using the 'notes' feature to leave comments which are largley unrealted to the cache. Many of these instances have occured on new caches just as the are published, with people logging a note to say how they wish they could try fo a 'Firt to find" on this cache but are busy, or on holiday. Some of these have even turned into conversations between geocachers - on the caches page! Is this really relevant to a geocache, or appropriate use of the cache page? I don't think it is. However, keen to here what others have to say.

I would put some links up to show examples, but that would mean showing names of people doing it, which is not what this is about.

Edited by Pathfinder24

I agree and have also noticed this increasing phenomenon. Seriously people, I don't care if you really wish you could get the 'ftf'. I don't care who gets the first to find, let alone care about an inane discussion about why you couldn't go for it. If I was the cache owner of a cache which has this sort of discussion on it, I would delete the irrelevant posts.

I'm going to disagree, although we may be talking "apples" and "oranges" here.

It's nice for the cache owner when people log to a new cache page about their interest, or about their plans to get after the cache.

A new 5/5 was recently listed in my area. Quite a lot of chatter on the cache page in the first week. I'm sure the cache owner was gratified that the community was taking notice.

Now there's a find log, I expect that will ease off, or even stop.

Online logs are part of what build a community.

I've seen some less pleasant chatter on caches, especially difficult caches with many DNFs. Still, the cache owner is getting some attention, and knows people are interested in the game that they've offered. There's probably a place where a line is crossed, but to me, that line is pretty gray and pretty broad.

I'm going to disagree, although we may be talking "apples" and "oranges" here.

It's nice for the cache owner when people log to a new cache page about their interest, or about their plans to get after the cache.

A new 5/5 was recently listed in my area. Quite a lot of chatter on the cache page in the first week. I'm sure the cache owner was gratified that the community was taking notice.

Now there's a find log, I expect that will ease off, or even stop.

Online logs are part of what build a community.

I've seen some less pleasant chatter on caches, especially difficult caches with many DNFs. Still, the cache owner is getting some attention, and knows people are interested in the game that they've offered. There's probably a place where a line is crossed, but to me, that line is pretty gray and pretty broad.

I admit to having been annoyed by "twittering" as It's being called in this thread, in the past. I also admit to engaging in it, and allowing it on my cache pages.

But Isonzo Karst brings up an excellent point I never thought of, especially in this day and age of the legions of the clueless caching with Blackberry's, Iphones and Droids dropping blank logs, or TFTC logs on us. "Online logs are part of what build a community."

So put me down for it's not as bad of a thing as I thought. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Frankly, I'm surprised the reviewer isn't putting the kabosh on those "conversations". I've seen many cache pages where the reviewer has insisted that the cache page is not supposed to be a forum, and to stop the chatter. Perhaps your reviewer is not aware of those situations?

Depends on the situation. A couple or three posts doesn't usually matter much. But if it is an ongoing debate those usually get squashed. If the reviewer is aware of them.

I think it depends on how on-topic the notes are. As long as they relate to the cache, I think it is fine.

For example, there is one cache which is on my watchlist. It's a difficult cache; it's been published 5 months and has 4 finds (one of them by me). There are 17 notes on the page; many from the CO (giving additional hints/encouragement), but some from other cachers. Initially there were notes about how cachers were failing to solve the puzzle, later there have been notes congratulating new finders (I have left such a note). All the notes are related to the cache. I think this is a good thing. It shows there is interest in the cache; it shows some are trying to solve the puzzle but are unable to, etc.

Obviously it can be overdone, and if a cache was found regularly and there were lots of notes commenting/congratulating the finder that would get old. But on a cache like this one I think it's fine.

I'd be upset to open a cache on my palm pilot to read the last 5 logs only to find 5 logs of such tripe.

So please, cache owners, delete any logs like that!

In at least one part of Wisconsin, people play a game where they race to see who is the first to post a "Write Note" on a new cache. Not first to find, not first to log online, but first to say "hey, I got the new cache alert." Sometimes, there are a handful of follow-ups discussing who others though would post it first.

A friend of mine there and his (now ex-) girlfriend find this pointless and annoying, so when she had her first cache published, she deleted the "FTP" (first to post) log. The poster then got upset by this, posted it again, she deleted again and then the poster emailed her to express his dissatisfaction, saying that what he's doing is not against the rules, it's harmless and a "common" part of the game "everywhere".

Some people Just Don't Get It.

I'd be upset to open a cache on my palm pilot to read the last 5 logs only to find 5 logs of such tripe.

So please, cache owners, delete any logs like that!

In at least one part of Wisconsin, people play a game where they race to see who is the first to post a "Write Note" on a new cache. Not first to find, not first to log online, but first to say "hey, I got the new cache alert." Sometimes, there are a handful of follow-ups discussing who others though would post it first.

A friend of mine there and his (now ex-) girlfriend find this pointless and annoying, so when she had her first cache published, she deleted the "FTP" (first to post) log. The poster then got upset by this, posted it again, she deleted again and then the poster emailed her to express his dissatisfaction, saying that what he's doing is not against the rules, it's harmless and a "common" part of the game "everywhere".

Some people Just Don't Get It.

I find the "First to Post" craze more than a little odd... :drama:<_<

I think it would be ideal if there was some way to tie the cache into the overall community (something like a twitter feed). I know a lot of people watch caches but there really isn't any intereaction there. I would love to have some sort of conversation update about some of the finds that we have had simply so we could swap stories about it or just get to know the people in our caching community better.

Aside from the few events that we have been to, we haven't cached with anyone but our team/family and having some interaction on the cache pages could really help to foster a little more community for everyone in general.