Favoreting a cache I helped place

Andronicus

I was reviewing my favorites the other day, and thought about a cache that I helped place. It is on top of a crazy peak on a mountain. I was in the crew who scrambled up there. When the cache in question was placed, I had actually separated from the CO to go place a cache of my own on a different summit.

I was thinking that that was a super fun scramble with great views. But so far it has not been found, so it has not been favorited. I think it definitely deserves a favorite, so was thinking of using one of mine. But when I went to the cache page, there was no option because of course I have not logged a find.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I was thinking that the moderator who closed that one thinks the favorite trick posted in there is 'bad'. Is this GS opinion, or just one lacky's opinion? What is the opinion of the geocaching populous?

First calling a moderator a "lacky" isn't a good way to start off a conversation, it's actually extremely rude. Do you walk up to someone you disagree with and call him names while trying to make a point.

Moderators are hard working volunteers without whom this forum would descend into chaos. Probably would get the topic closed pretty quick.

Now as to your point: There are rare exceptions to the you have to have found it to favorite it but to change the guidelines for them would open it to people giving favorite points to a cache that someone says take a look at since they like the concept they would favorite. I for one would oppose it.

If you really want to try to get it changed go to the feedback forums and see how many votes you get.

First calling a moderator a "lacky" isn't a good way to start off a conversation, it's actually extremely rude. Do you walk up to someone you disagree with and call him names while trying to make a point.

Moderators are hard working volunteers without whom this forum would descend into chaos. Probably would get the topic closed pretty quick.

:blink:

Check out the Knowledge Books article titled "Identifying Lackeys and Reviewers":

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=260

Lackey Profile: Users who work for Groundspeak are known as "Lackeys".
Edited by Pup Patrol

Not to take this too far off, but lackey is a term used by Groundspeak to describe their employees. It's a tongue in cheek term of endearment that has long seen common usage in the geocaching community at large (Heck, I have a "lackey" geocoin issued by Groundspeak). Sandy happens to be a lackey. The volunteers (Mods and reviewers) are generally not considered to be lackeys.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

If I helped with a cache I wouldn't log a find, so favoriting it would not be an option. Since you logged a find, then why not favorite it? You "found" it.

I didn't actually find the cache. After placing my cache we came back down the mountain by a different rout. I am not suggesting that I log a find. Just considering doing the favorite 'trick' that was posted in that other thread. The 'trick' esentialy makes if possible mark a favorite without a find.

Check out the Knowledge Books article titled "Identifying Lackeys and Reviewers":

The moderator's profile sais "lackey from down under". There was no insult intended or made. Just using the official rank (in goecaching, the rank of lackey is above the rank of moderator).

Edited by Andronicus

How was I to know that GS had a sense of humor. I love it.

Why not let the cache get favorite points naturally by those who seek out the cache and actually find it, and were not involved in placing it? The favorite point would have no meaning otherwise.

That would be almost as bad as being able to specify how awesome your cache was during the cache submission process. Wouldn't that be completely goofy?

If it's a great cache, it will get favorite points. Give it time and don't artificially inflate it.

I didn't actually find the cache. After placing my cache we came back down the mountain by a different rout. I am not suggesting that I log a find. Just considering doing the favorite 'trick' that was posted in that other thread. The 'trick' esentialy makes if possible mark a favorite without a find.

I didn't know about that trick. In that case, as Sandy said, it's not what the system was meant for.

I can see the temptation. Two weeks ago I found a cache on the top of a mountain in Vermont. It was a beautiful 2 1/2 mile hike to the summit in snowshoes with a breathtaking overlook feet from the cache. The cache itself was under 3 feet of snow. I lucked out and found it, but if I didn't actually find it, I would certainly still have included it among my favorite cache hunts. But it wouldn't have been one of my favorite cache finds, and finds is what the system was intended to be used for.

I didn't know about that trick. In that case, as Sandy said, it's not what the system was meant for.

I can see the temptation. Two weeks ago I found a cache on the top of a mountain in Vermont. It was a beautiful 2 1/2 mile hike to the summit in snowshoes with a breathtaking overlook feet from the cache. The cache itself was under 3 feet of snow. I lucked out and found it, but if I didn't actually find it, I would certainly still have included it among my favorite cache hunts. But it wouldn't have been one of my favorite cache finds, and finds is what the system was intended to be used for.

Great explanation. I will go with that.

No legit find should be no favorite vote for it.

I don't need to see a favorite vote to know that a cache on top of mountain after a trail and scramble up is going to be a good one!!

Trail? what trail? It was a 16km (round trip) bushwack.

...That would be almost as bad as being able to specify how awesome your cache was during the cache submission process. Wouldn't that be completely goofy?...

Sounds like another caching site I have heard of (humm...open..huhumm..caching..hmm... .com)

Well, since you were not actually with the CO when the cache was placed, you could climb back up there, find the cache, and log it. Then you could legitimately favorite it.

Well I could, but I have alot of other great scambles on my "to do list", so unless my cache needs maintanence, I don't plan on going back up there.

Edited by Andronicus

How was I to know that GS had a sense of humor. I love it.

They also used to have a page that explained that the premium membership fees were for their supply of Cheeze Whiz and something else. (I forget)

Also there used to be a line in the source code of the cache pages which said "Bug in IE makes me do this"

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

if you have a "find", I see no reason not to favorite it, that includes beta test finds. If you are okay with beta test finds and are not the CO, why not favorite it? I would think as long as you are okay with "finding" through beta testing or the fact you found it afterwards, I see no reason why not to favorite it. I will favorite any cache I have found (if worthy), whether its a beta test or otherwise.

If I helped with a cache I wouldn't log a find, so favoriting it would not be an option. Since you logged a find, then why not favorite it? You "found" it.

I agree. If I own a cache or helped with it I would not ever think of logging it as a find thus making the "favoriting," option mute/null/void BUT if the site allows CO's to log their own caches as finds/for points then hey,why not, go ahead and favorite your own cache. If you log a "find," on a cache you hid why not go all the way and make it one of your favorites ??

Besides all the other things that have been said, how exactly did you "help place" the cache? You weren't even in the area when the owner placed it, and you never found it yourself.

If you are pretty sure it's a cool cache, mention that on the page of your own nearby cache.

I've done that... Otherwise, if it's not great enough for you to go back and find it yourself, it would be disingenuous for you to mark it as a "favorite."

Besides all the other things that have been said, how exactly did you "help place" the cache? You weren't even in the area when the owner placed it, and you never found it yourself.

If you are pretty sure it's a cool cache, mention that on the page of your own nearby cache.

I've done that... Otherwise, if it's not great enough for you to go back and find it yourself, it would be disingenuous for you to mark it as a "favorite."

How did I help... I was in the summit party. I was on another nearby peak (2km away?) placing my cache when the one in question was placed. And yes, I did mention on my cache page that you should find the other one on your way to mine. Is is 'great enough' to go back and find? Well, it is a 3h drive from my house, and a 16h scramble, so.... unless my cache needs maintanence in the future, I don't plan on going back up there. There are plenty of other scrables that I have not done, so don't plan to repeat ones I have done without a good reason.

Anyway, points taken. I am not listing it as a favorite.

How did I help... I was in the summit party. I was on another nearby peak (2km away?) placing my cache when the one in question was placed. And yes, I did mention on my cache page that you should find the other one on your way to mine. Is is 'great enough' to go back and find? Well, it is a 3h drive from my house, and a 16h scramble, so.... unless my cache needs maintanence in the future, I don't plan on going back up there. There are plenty of other scrables that I have not done, so don't plan to repeat ones I have done without a good reason.

Anyway, points taken. I am not listing it as a favorite.

You were over a mile away when it was hidden. I don't think anyone's going to point fingers at you if you go make the find.

That being said, there are many really great caches that I haven't looked for and don't intend to. I will not be marking them as faves.