Suggestions

JordanDyck

Hi all,

I am new to the Kananaskis (alberta, canada) area and I am looking to try geocaching this year. More specifically, my girlfriend and I enjoy kayaking and hiking, and i was wondering if there are any trails that may involve a lake kayaking trip to a trail and then a hike to a nice lookout point or something. (sort of romantic you know?)Any trail/geocaching suggestions would be great. thanks

Jordan

Welcome to K-Country! I'm told there's some good kayaking in the area. I know there's lots of great hiking.

For a good combination of kayaking/hiking/geocaching, one possibility would be Upper Kananaskis Lake. You could kayak to the "Hawke Island Estate" cache (GC1DWEX). From there, continue paddling to the west shore, where you can find three more caches on three different points (GC12TNV, GC12TNY, and GC1322P). Then stretch your legs a bit with a fairly short walk to GC1V546 and/or GC78C6. As you kayak back to your vehicle, you might want to stop at "Sometimes an Island, Sometimes Not!" (GC1DCDP) and "A Chimney On The Point" (GC1DCE2), both of which are interesting places along the shore.

If you prefer a longer trip, then consider kayaking to "Spray Lakes Reservoir Bike & Hike" (GC1F2AE) and hiking to GCHY0F and/or GC1F5QF (EarthCache).

Lots of Calgary cachers enjoy playing in the Kananaskis, so another good resource for you would be our local forums.

Edited by CanadianRockies