For an old Etrex Vista Cx - what is best map?

oRapunzel

I have an old Garmin Etrex Vista Cx that was given to me about 4 years ago. I started using it for Geocaching, and then, life got in the way. It went into a drawer and hasn't been used since. I want to get back to Geocaching, but I remembered being frustrated by the lousy map that came on the thing. I'd like to put on a better map system. Which would be better - a TOPO map or a city navigator map?

I know...I don't need something more than what's on there to do geocaching in general, but it would be nice to have something at least a bit more detailed. Suggestions?

Btw, I live in the Atlanta suburban area. So, I have plenty of city around me...but I also get out for hiking and trails, too, up in the northern part of the state.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by oRapunzel

I have an old Garmin Etrex Vista Cx that was given to me about 4 years ago. I started using it for Geocaching, and then, life got in the way. It went into a drawer and hasn't been used since. I want to get back to Geocaching, but I remembered being frustrated by the lousy map that came on the thing. I'd like to put on a better map system. Which would be better - a TOPO map or a city navigator map?

I know...I don't need something more than what's on there to do geocaching in general, but it would be nice to have something at least a bit more detailed. Suggestions?

Btw, I live in the Atlanta suburban area. So, I have plenty of city around me...but I also get out for hiking and trails, too, up in the northern part of the state.

Thanks for your help!

"Best" map is really a question only you can answer. It applies to your intended use. If you want the map for assisting in the field then the additional details of topo is "best". If you want to use it for routing from cache to cache then City Navigator is "best".

Of course you could install both.

One thing Garmin did right was make sure maps would be compatible across (practially) all their units. So when you find a map for "Garmin" at say gpsfiledepot, you automatically know it'll work in your Etrex model.

There's a fantastic ecosystem of maps out there, worldwide, in Garmin format, both free and not free. gpsfiledepot is probably the place to start looking for the free ones.