Geocaching on BBC Breakfast - Sat 29th Jan

From twitter a few minutes ago: @mikebreakfast "there are 75000 of them, they get people shouting in the undergrowth, they get kids out at the weekend..will reveal all on breakfast tomorro" - BBC Breakfast's Mike Bushell was filming with a gaggle of kids up on Coombe Hill a couple of Sundays ago so expect to see England's oldest cache featured, along with a few cachers who joined in with the hunting. For those who miss it, there will be an iPlayer link along I'm sure :)

Sue of thegoughs posted a note on Mike Bushell BBC Sports News (GC2MG0M):

The filming is being shown on Saturday 29th January 2011.

Here is a link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12307628 (as above)

or You tube:

She also notes a link has been added to the cache page - Looks good to me :)

Edit- Who is that handsome man in the background, 58 seconds and 1m58s in? ;)

Edited by Simply Paul

You don't mean this one do you Paul? Oh well, there was supposed to have been a screen shot there as well! It was of a guy in a pale jacket lurking in the background :lol: Got there.

37f31f44-ac95-446f-88fe-05dc569cc929.jpg

Update, on the TV at about 09:40

ayepee

Edited by ayepee

A very good article which showed geocaching off nicely. I did get worried at the very start of the walk as the cache Mike was going to put out seemed to be in a bright orange carrier bag... :o

Well done to everyone who took part.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I saw the report on the news, that's what brought me here to find out more, it seems like allot of fun, I would love to try it out with my kids, there seems to be allot of them in my area. unfortunately I cant find a cheap gps that I can afford (cheapest i found is on gumtree at £150)so wont be able to find most of them, but I am on the hunt for an OS map that might help me find some of the easier ones.

Didn't see him - was he hiding behind you ? ;):laughing:
Is the correct answer! :D

Apart from a few minor details (Caching's a little more than 10 years old now, and the one on Coombe Hill is only the oldest survivor in England, not the UK's oldest cache and the like) I think all the important points got put across, especially the 'swap don't take' and 'get permission' cornerstones. All praise to thegoughs who suggested caching as a possible feature to Mike in the first place, as I understand it.

That first hide wasn't a real hide, was it? I cannot imagine it surviving very long being sat just there, but maybe I am wrong.

Wasn't the first, but it is the oldest in England:

View from Coombe Hill

Sorry, I meant the first hide they found in the video.. the one in the puddle, which they placed back in the puddle.

The log sheet had been signed a few times which suggests that it's genuine and been found before but you're right... it's a really daft place to hide a cache. Puddles like that are usually the result of farm traffic. You can image what's going to happen to that container the next time a tractor goes over it.

Does anyone recognise it.... presumably it's not a million miles from the Coombe Hill cache?

That first hide wasn't a real hide, was it? I cannot imagine it surviving very long being sat just there, but maybe I am wrong.

Wasn't the first, but it is the oldest in England:

View from Coombe Hill

Sorry, I meant the first hide they found in the video.. the one in the puddle, which they placed back in the puddle.

The log sheet had been signed a few times which suggests that it's genuine and been found before but you're right... it's a really daft place to hide a cache. Puddles like that are usually the result of farm traffic. You can image what's going to happen to that container the next time a tractor goes over it.

Does anyone recognise it.... presumably it's not a million miles from the Coombe Hill cache?

Well I thought the first "find" was awful as Mike enthusiasticly gushed there will be swaps inside look there's a note book and a pen we will leave this photo in it!

The ammo box find would have been a much better find to show to the BBC audience.

Who would replace a micro cache like the first find back in a puddle..............I ask you lol

I saw the report on the news, that's what brought me here to find out more, it seems like allot of fun, I would love to try it out with my kids, there seems to be allot of them in my area. unfortunately I cant find a cheap gps that I can afford (cheapest i found is on gumtree at £150)so wont be able to find most of them, but I am on the hunt for an OS map that might help me find some of the easier ones.

Welcome! Glad you found us. There are much much cheaper ones than that, the basic Garmin Trex H can be had for around £50 or less. I would check the well known auction site as there's always cheap GPS units on there too.

Dependent on the area you're in I am sure that a friendly cacher would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

Do you have a smartphone? The Geocaching App has a free version on iPhone if you're that way inclined too.

Let us know how you get on!

All the best

Collin

Hi Collin.

Thank you for welcoming me.

I did have a quick look at the well known auction site in question but thought i should read some reviews first, last time i got anything technology based there it was completely the wrong item.

I am in fife,I may use a map to begin with just until i have had a read of some reviews and know what i am buying, I have noticed three caches are literally round the corner from my house so i might try to find them first and then take it from there, I wouldn't want to put anyone out asking for help if i haven't tried myself first.

I have to point out I wasn't around for the first half of filming, only the stuff up on the hill. I think I'd have avoided the swampy side of caching if it'd been me! I was worried that GC171's location might be compromised during the filming too but I don't think you could find it just based on what you could see on TV. GAGB's had a lot of fresh interest off the back of the broadcast, I read, so hopefully the 'I'll hide it in a puddle' style of cache placement shouldn't take off, with some help from them.

... GAGB's had a lot of fresh interest off the back of the broadcast, I read, so hopefully the 'I'll hide it in a puddle' style of cache placement shouldn't take off, with some help from them.

Oh, I don't know <_< ... a new series, "Puddleducks" maybe? Not as extreme as using the SCUBA attribute but maybe a new attribute required... welly boots? A duck?

MrsB

Hi Collin.

Thank you for welcoming me.

I did have a quick look at the well known auction site in question but thought i should read some reviews first, last time i got anything technology based there it was completely the wrong item.

I am in fife,I may use a map to begin with just until i have had a read of some reviews and know what i am buying, I have noticed three caches are literally round the corner from my house so i might try to find them first and then take it from there, I wouldn't want to put anyone out asking for help if i haven't tried myself first.

If you have a car sat Nav you will probably be able to use that as first attempt - I know with my old garmin you can change some of the settings to give you more precise readings.

I watched the feature as I was getting ready for work this morning.

To be honest, given the short attention span of viewers at this time in the morning [including my own]I think the puddle cache bit must of put most people off. What were they thinking of the producers for showing this ?

Were there no Geocachers around who could have put them right on this point ?

It was 'sold' on the idea of being a kids pastime [and it's certainly great for kids] but maybe if a mention was made of some of the other reasons why people go caching i.e to get to those unique viewpoints, or really interesting locations or even 'Extreme caches' it may have been a little bit more attractive.

I only give it 3/10 i'm afraid.

I had a late night last night, and was looking forward to a bit of a lie in after a shockingly rubbish week... cue my mobile ringing at 6.10am.... on a SaturdayLOL

It was My Parents, the Sandiway Seachers...

SS's: "have you seen Geocaching on the Telly?"

Me: (in a confused state as per..) "er... I don't know, I found out about it from the telly 6 years ago..."

SS's: (clearly exasperated at my drowsy state) "Noooooo - on telly NOW"

I must have knocked EVERYTHING off the bedside table to find the TV remote..... oh **** there goes last night's cup of tea......

Missed it.....

30 mins or so later (and I'd dropped back off) "ting ting" goes a text... it's on again...

Try and scrape myself from under the duvet to sit up, and I watch.....

OMG - what a great article... I too thought the first "hide" was dreadful, but not bad coverage overall... Well done chaps!!!

This is the best thread of 2011.

Hi Rachelorch.

Good luck with your quest. This hobby is a great way to get out and about..alone or with family. Go for a cheapo basic gps 1st while your still deciding if this is for you.

Hi Hazel S. The best way to start a brand new week is caching.

Your alarm should be ringing at 6.10am not your phone. Caching beckons for you.

Your parents know better than you. :lol:

Well done Simply Paul. Fame beckons at last.

Hi Pharisee. I've never found a micro in a puddle.

But that does give me an idea.

Hi GAGB.

Moving on swiftly. :ph34r:

Hi Cache U Nutter.

I was so close to yet another 5/5 today. Close but ignored. ;)

I saw this on Breakfast yesterday and it looked such a great idea, given that we already enjoy walking in the countryside. Downloaded the appropriate app and set off today for our first ever geocaching experience. Searched and searched for 2 caches today and didn't find either. We were all disappointed as we'd tried really hard and one of them was only rated a 1.5! Still, we've got the bug and will try again next weekend!!

I saw this on Breakfast yesterday and it looked such a great idea, given that we already enjoy walking in the countryside. Downloaded the appropriate app and set off today for our first ever geocaching experience. Searched and searched for 2 caches today and didn't find either. We were all disappointed as we'd tried really hard and one of them was only rated a 1.5! Still, we've got the bug and will try again next weekend!!

Don't be disheartened. If you want to give us the GC numbers of the ones you tried to find (in the top right corner of the cache page) then people might be able to give you some extra hints or suggestions.

MrsB :)

My non-caching chum was very excited to see my mad obsession (as she calls it!) on telly, will have to take a look

And re not affording expensive GPS I agree with the others, you can get loads of fun without spending too many pennies. Before I started I already had an old forerunner (bought at much cheapness of ebay) for knowing my speeds when I was horseriding. This still gets me to GZ on most occasions. The only frustration with that was not having the cache info with me without printing stuff out but upgraded my phone (free) and managed to get a smart phone so now have all the cache info stuffed onto there.

If you want to try it out without a GPS, try using google Earth and enter the coords there and zoom in. I found my first cache or two like this but it only really works well in an area you really know, and is a pain for multis as you have to go home to work out where the final is which usually is not far from the last cache/clue you found :) then I got a cheap bluetooth GPSr which connected to an old palm pilot and found caches quite well with the help of a couple of fairly cheap palm apps so there are several low cost options for trying it out. Have fun and I'm sure if you found a local event you would find someone willing to go caching with you and then you can also see a range of different GPSr units to see what you fancy when you do spend the pennies - it doesn't normally take much to persuade a cacher to go find a cache.

i too saw it on bbc breakfast and we deceided to give it a go. 10 cache's later and where did the weekend go, we had great fun and are now looking forward to next weekend, although i have a business trip to Edinbrough this week i may find myself on the hunt in my spare time whilst there.

I was sent along to give the GAGB view - and was interviewed for a few minutes about 3/4 the way through - most of it was obviously cut out and only the bit about the space station etc left in - all the bits about landowner permissions and support for UK cachers left out - but the main thrust of the piece (which eventually took nearly 5 hours to film)was to encourage children to get out and about and it did give general publicity to the hobby. The first cache is one of the goughs series which was removed from its hide and used as a "pretend" cache - I really shouldn't have been hidden in a puddle - but kids splashing about makes good film - it was replaced back in its proper place. I must say that Mr Bushell and his cameraman have lots of patience and all that work for a couple of minutes on the telly seems like a hard job to me ! Met up with Simply Paul on Coombe hill and did the other cache - so not a bad day !

PS he did mention the landowner permissions on the studio shots

Since the BBC sent a sports reporter, does that mean geocaching is now officially a sport? :blink:

Will be be seeing it at the olympics sometime soon :D

May I take it you were not aware Geocaching is a rash :yikes:

no not the itchy kind :laughing:

But in fact RASH=Recreational Activity Sporting Hobby :laughing: Which tends to cover how different people people take part in different ways.

Deci :laughing:

I think it might have been nice if they had hidden a special cache for Mike and the mob to find rather than taking the chance of compromising View from Coombe Hill, or indeed have relocated this cache just for the filming like they did their own micro. As it is, one of the trackables that was contained in the cache was found dropped on the ground some distance away and another has vanished altogether. Recent logs state how easy the cache is to find, whilst I (and SP) spent some time and effort covering it up on a recent maintenance visit, so it looks like another check is in order. I have very mixed feelings about this. I think the piece that appeared on TV was good, but it did not leave me with a warm glow <_<

As earlier stated - this was not a serious piece on Geocaching. It was primarily a fun piece to encourage children to get fresh air and exercise. Several conversations were not put in, either due to time constraints on the piece, or perhaps, not in keeping with the "fun" element.The first cache was re-located by the cameraman before anyone had a chance to let him know that a puddle was not an ideal place. But, apparantly it was for the shot of kids, splashing about. It was put back in its correct spot in due course.Again the Coombe Hill venture was mainly for the kids. The shots where generally "non specific" in order to try and protect the actual location of the cache. But Mr Bushell wanted lots of kids scratting about in the bushes "finding"the cache,which obviously led to things getting a bit rowdy with the container.I'm sure he did not want things to go missing but we were several hours into the filming of this small piece and he was trying to keep up the kids interest. We did try to give a "grown up" view during the interviews, but again all cut out, although as I said earlier he did mention the landowner permissions in the studio piece. The most surprising thing of all, considering the 10 seconds of my interview, and the odd shot of simply Paul, I have had lots of friends and colleagues mentioning the fact that they "Saw us on TV!!" Any publicity is good publicity, even if a bit skewed and not terribly factual ! Lots more enquiries received by GAGB and, hopefully, more people getting involved in caching

Rachel, if you don't want to scribble all over your OS maps (they cost too much to be defaced :shocked: ) click on streetmap on the cache page - you get a nice orange arrow pointing exactly to the cache, and can print it off to take with you.

Thank you, i hadnt thought of that, I will try that in the future, i also have on order a gps so will have an easier time, I now have 11 wich i know by most peoples standards is nothing but we are really exited about them

Rachel, if you don't want to scribble all over your OS maps (they cost too much to be defaced :shocked: ) click on streetmap on the cache page - you get a nice orange arrow pointing exactly to the cache, and can print it off to take with you.

Thank you, i hadnt thought of that, I will try that in the future, i also have on order a gps so will have an easier time, I now have 11 which i know by most peoples standards is nothing but we are really exited about them

Are you sure you need a GPS?

:laughing: :laughing:

:D

I received this week's "Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter" earlier today and the "In the News" section had:

3. Mike Bushell goes geocaching, BBC News (Northumberland, UK [my underlining]), 31 January 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12307628

I suppose that if you are sitting in California with a world atlas in front of you, Northumberland might well appear to be approximately the centre of the UK! :unsure:

I understand that there have been lots of problems persuading BBC staff to relocate from London to Manchester! :o If they had been proposing to move from London to rural Northumberland I think that they would have had to close down the BBC!! :blink: But, that would have been their loss!!! ;)

Edited by Phil100