What cache size have you found the most of?

lemon16

Regular has the most, micro and small are in a dead heat for 2nd place. To be perfectly frank though, if caches sizes were listed correctly that would probably change, we have a bunch of micro caches around here that have been stuck in something else and called small. And more than a few Not Chosen and Other that are in fact micros. I don't mind hunting micros but if Nick is along it makes him really mad to find a micro shoved up a plastic squirrels other end (or some variation of that theme) and called a small.

Micro--44.37%. My caching days started in Chicago, so city caching has a lot of micros. Surprisingly, I have no large caches, so now I'm wondering what a "large" cache is. I thought a 5 gallon bucket would be one, but it's listed as regular. Geez, how much bigger can one be? Other than those jumbo ones you see in pictures.

# Micro * 824 (44.88%)

# Regular * 490 (26.69%)

# Small * 383 (20.86%)

# Not chosen * 58 (3.16%)

# Other * 36 (1.96%)

# Virtual * 35 (1.91%)

# Large 10 (0.54%)

"Not chosen" are almost always micro or nano, so they could probably be lumped in with the others. Micro is up at the top, but at least I have found more regular and small combined than micro. I lived in the city of St. Louis for 4 years, so that contributed to the micro count. There are many more micros in SW Ohio, though, where I had most of my finds in 2005 and 2006. It's kind of out of control.

Edited by benji55545

- Regular 38.5%

- Micro 25.3%

- Small 21.3%

Our local area has become more and more saturated with micros over the past few years. We don't hunt for many of the urban ones and we do a fair amount of caching outside our local area, which is why we still have more regulars.

Edited by succotash

What is it we are learning here?

Nothing important really. I was just curious what the results would be.

Oh, C'mon Gof, be a sport. I think we is learning that most highly active cachers that go after everything listed on the website are going to have micro on top. I for one am proud to have micro as #3, and less than 25% of my finds. :lol:

Regular 42.46%

Small 25.56%

Micro 24.53%

Oh, C'mon Gof, be a sport. I think we is learning that most highly active cachers that go after everything listed on the website are going to have micro on top. I for one am proud to have micro as #3, and less than 25% of my finds. :lol:

Regular 42.46%

Small 25.56%

Micro 24.53%

I was going to post this earlier but was afraid Gof would yell at me. :laughing:

Regular 51.36%

Micro 24.32%

Small 17.73%

I tend to enjoy forest caches, which tend to be regular rather than micros but you probably knew that already by looking at my stats.

Regular 42.46%

Small 25.56%

Micro 24.53%

Hey buddy. How's things?

I still stand pat. I have no idea what my distribution of size found is and I certainly don't care what yours is. I was really expecting someone to attempt to use these numbers to prove some silly theory. I am pleasantly surprised that they haven't.

Regular 42.46%

Small 25.56%

Micro 24.53%

I was going to post this earlier but was afraid Gof would yell at me. :laughing:

Regular 51.36%

Micro 24.32%

Small 17.73%

I tend to enjoy forest caches, which tend to be regular rather than micros but you probably knew that already by looking at my stats.

Nah. I don't get to yell at people here.

Micro 43.5%

Small 25.73%

Regular 19.36%

Not chosen 9.55%

Other 1.06%

Large 0.8%

This is pretty interesting, especially the part about large containers. I found 3 of them, and didn't even realize it! Two of them were indeed very large ammo cans, but the one was more of a regular from my recollection (it and one of the others have since been archived).

Much like D/T ratings, I have found some which I would have considered to be different sizes than what was specified, but I would say the vast majority of them have been accurate.

Here is an overview of the stats posted in this thread so far.

33 posts:

Regular - 16 (48.5%)

Micro - 14 (42.4%)

Small - 3 (9.1%)

The results so far surprise me. I was expecting micro to beat out regular by a long shot. But it looks like the two are pretty close.

Well. If it is a competition, so far I am winning with the low low micro rate of 12% :laughing: (or loosing, depending on how you are judging :sad: ).

This sir, makes you the winner!! In my opinion, of course.

I've been playing with a cache page of a well-visited local cache with hundreds of visits. I tell you, I click on any profile of a 500+ find account, probably 95% of them fall into the "micro by a landslide" category. :unsure:

I click on any profile of a 500+ find account, probably 95% of them fall into the "micro by a landslide" category. :unsure:

That makes sense. In our urban area, there are 4500+ caches to be found. FOUR are sized 'large' and if you grabbed every regular available you'd still be 100 short of 500.

Also, if you live in an urban area and you like interesting/challenging hides...those are predominately 'micros'. In our area, the smalls are probably the least interesting and least challenging of the size types. IMO.

I click on any profile of a 500+ find account, probably 95% of them fall into the "micro by a landslide" category. :unsure:

That makes sense. In our urban area, there are 4500+ caches to be found. FOUR are sized 'large' and if you grabbed every regular available you'd still be 100 short of 500.

Also, if you live in an urban area and you like interesting/challenging hides...those are predominately 'micros'. In our area, the smalls are probably the least interesting and least challenging of the size types. IMO.

Depends on what you mean by interesting/challenging. A long hike to a beautiful location is likely to end at a small or regular. A fake bolt on a guardrail is challenging and some think interesting but not going to be anything but a micro.