FTF Breakfast Run for Geocachers

GEO936

Hi Everyone

We are planning to host an Event in March 2011 - possible dates 12 or 13 or 26 or 27. We thought that most geocachers would be away for the long weekend, and so that weekend is not on the cards.

We'll be teaming up with two or three other geocaching teams to place some new caches along one of our popular Breakfast Run routes, when we used to do a lot of biking. We have discovered that there are many geocachers who have motorbikes (besides the famous dakardrix). So the idea is to set up these new caches, then we meet at 6am at the agreed starting point, and set off on the planned route and find the new caches ALL TOGETHER and get joint FTFs en route to our resting spot for breakfast. This will be a good opportunity for cachers to get more FTF and earn their respective badges and belts. For some cachers it will be the first time that they will be getting FTFs. We request that cachers do not try to look for these caches before the start of the Run, but rather leave them to be found with everyone else as a FTF.

When we post the Event, we will call it something like "Geocachers Breakfast Run", as we can't advertise the "caching" part in the Event listing. We will have a link to this thread in the forum though.

So all you teams out there - even if you don't own a motorbike - you will be welcome to join us. There will be a number of cars joining, as I (Silvia) won't be able to join Rolf on the back of the bike this time as we have kiddies now. So that is why the "support crews" to the bikers are also welcome.

Please let us know if you are keen and what you think about it? Which day would be better - Saturday or Sunday? Remember that Sunday is a VERY popular day for biking in general, so not sure if we should stick to a Saturday instead? We also need to find a suitable venue that can handle a large booking (as we anticipate a good turnout for this), so please let us know your thoughts so that we can get the ball rolling.

Note to MadSons: Still busy with the notes for the Mega..it is coming! :P

Greetings from GEO936 (keen bikers ;) )

This sounds like a great idea. It will also be a boost for anyone who has 2011 TB Race entrants in their possession because all the FTFs will mean mega points.... <_<:anitongue:

Once the route has been finalised, I am prepared to help plant a cache or two for the day. Being far out they will have to be low maintenance ones, well hidden!

I would prefer Saturday as I am committed every Sunday.

Silvia, if you wanted to go on the bike with Rolf, I will gladly take the kids in the car and meet you all along the way at the various caches. :yikes:

When I spoke to Rolf earlier in the week about the idea of a mega FTF run, I initially also thought it is a great idea and would be nice to add FTF badge to my profile..... However I now start wondering if we are not manipulating the game and take all the fun out of the game just to get badges instead of truly earning them.....

If most of the active cachers in Johannesburg join the breakfast run and get there FTF badge, will we then still get teams that race all over town in the middle of the night to go for FTF's?

On my Westcliff cache where were 5 teams that race from as far as Edenvale at 22:00 to trying for a FTF. I can not see this continue to happen if all has a FTF badge...

In fact, I am of the opinion that we should change the rules that only one team, (the very first team that has the cache in hand) are allowed to claim a FTF to make it even more exclusive?

Are we tomorrow going to plant a 5/5 cache that is only a truly a 3/3 rating to claim that badge as well?

I know it is still each team personal choose to attend the run or not but is it truly in the spit of the game??

I still fully support the breakfast run and would prefer the 26 March ...Just questioning the Mega stage FTF part of it.

(Hope I have not upset people with my personal view...Remember it is only a game)

Team_vdlo

I would like to join, but only have a 200cc bike. 90km per hour top speed.

But I cant make it on the 26th as we will be in the KNP.

I agree with Team_vdlo, I prefer chasing my FTFs rather than a group effort. But if I am there and it is a FTF, I will take it.

However I like the (unspoken(?)) rule, with regards to FTF finding, that if you arrive and and the logbook is still being signed, you get to partake in the FTF.

If the FTF is back in the container. Then sorry you are to late.

We also agree with Team_vdlo. Over time you will add more and more FTF’s to your name. A FTF where you “earned” the FTF just feels that more pleasant, where you setup and watch the listings and the caching mobile ready and started just in case, and even studied the competition to know how to beat them, and when the reviewer do his thing.....it make a FTF just more satisfying....it becomes a “art” on its own and then you “earn” the FTF.

On the “event” we are happy and hope we can attend...

Just remember, certain cachers are watching the listings when they get published and don't mind caching at 03:00 in the morning.... So it might be that B and C or Madsons or "Wurm" have already grabbed these by the time that you all get together at 06:00. That would sort out the question of "Earning" or not "Earning" a FTF[:D] :laughing::lol:

I agree with Team_vdlo and RedGlobe, and I feel the "request that cachers do not try to look for these caches before the start of the Run" removes the whole idea and accomplishment of a FTF.

It would be reduced to shooting a tranquilized lion in a cage...

Oh wow, wonder if our first post has been misunderstood a bit. We were thinking of a legit "earned" FTF as a group. Where you set off together and arrive at the cache site at the same time, and sign the log at the same time. Like when it happens for other FTFs. Perhaps we shouldn't of said the part about "leaving it for the run".

The idea here is to have caches to find which have been reviewed by the Reviewer but not yet published on geocaching.com. This is how many Events used to take place. We attended an Event by GreenJam in July 2008 - Cradle Caper - and he had all the caches ready but not available to those that were not at the Event. If we remember correctly, dakardrix's Event was also like that. Then after breakfast, we all went and found the caches. Some made it to the same cache at the same time and earned joint FTFs. This is the idea we would like to follow, but just co-ordinate it a bit so that we travel as a group and arrive at GZ together.

This Breakfast Run is not for speed or outdoing each other, it is not a competition. It is a collective effort to do what we enjoy. So even if you have a scooter, you must bring it along.

There are many cachers out there that can still find other FTFs and there will be loads of caches published the future for others to get a FTF on. In reality, it isn't so easy for many cachers to get out at 3am to get a FTF, so this would be an opportunity to have fun with fellow geocachers and sign a brand new logbook together at the same time. We don't see that as taking the "spirit" out of the game? This will be an Event with caches available to find.

We agree with Damhuisclan - if you don't travel with the group and get there after the cache has been replaced, then there won't be a FTF up for grabs.

As for the comment about the badges - the badges are part of the fun of geocaching! It reminds us of the scounting days and they are not seen as taking the fun and spirit out of geocaching. We see them as an enhancement and adding a different angle of fun.

It is a matter of choice, and the idea is to do this as a team - together - instead of setting off from the meeting point separately. That is why we asked cachers to not go out on their own to get a FTF before everyone else - on the day itself - after the gpx files have been downloaded to your gps.

Bruce - thanks for the offer, but I'll take the car as the kids are a bit young to see Mom on the bike (which they love) and they not allowed on it too! They will be crying in your car the whole way and we could not do that to you!! We'll also bring the table and laptop for the downloading of files, etc. so need the car anyways.

Perhaps we don't plant any caches at all, and the Event becomes just a breakfast run with zero caches and zero opportunities for FTFs? Would everyone feel more comfortable with that then?

Edited by GEO936

How about planting and publishing the caches over a 2 week period, before the event.

Mark each cache as being part of the breakfast run.

Then those who want to chase after the FTF can do so, and those that want to join in in the "team find" event, can also do so.

This should satisfy both sides of the fence.

Maybe have a single "surprise" FTF for the day.

CapeDoc had one at the 10 Year Geocaching event, which I think went down very well, and I think is the biggest combined FTF find to date.

Hi all

Okay - we've just discussed this topic.

Maybe everyone has a point. We will take the caching out of this Event and just make it a normal Event of a breakfast run - zero caches, zero FTFs.

We will check out a route and find a suitable starting and ending venue.

It seems as if the 12 March is going to be the date and we will publish the Event soon.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Best regards

GEO936

Hi all

Maybe everyone has a point. We will take the caching out of this Event and just make it a normal Event It seems as if the 12 March is going to be the date and we will publish the Event soon.

Best regards

GEO936

Wished we could have joined you! - Bike, cowgirl and 'chicken boy' will be back home by then.

Hi DHC....we have had soooo much fun in the past when we've cached with a group - and we've had even more fun when we've done FTFs together. It is so different when caching in a group and it makes it so memorable.

We'll see what happens - can't promise anything but it does seem that Events are better attended when there are a few caches to find in the area/along the route. We won't reveal anything though.....and next time we won't be posting any threads on the Forum about our intentions and plans. We'll just go along with our ideas and those that want to be there will come, and others who don't like it/agree with it have the choice not to come.

Thanks for your support! We love you guys! ;)

Hi all

Maybe everyone has a point. We will take the caching out of this Event and just make it a normal Event It seems as if the 12 March is going to be the date and we will publish the Event soon.

Best regards

GEO936

Wished we could have joined you! - Bike, cowgirl and 'chicken boy' will be back home by then.

Ah gee CnC...would've been awesome to meet you guys. Perhaps next time? Please let us know when you next plan to be in Jhb and we'll plan an Event just for you :D....Hope you have a wonderful trip to the far east (Kruger). Please travel safely and post loads of piccies on your logs!

Hi Everyone

The date has been finalised for the 12 March 2011 for the Breakfast Run.

We will meet at the Castle in Laezonia and depart on the run at 06h30 SHARP, and make our way to a spot in the Cradle of Humankind for breakfast. We still need to chat to the venue to discuss the breakfast. Anyone who has been a part of a Breakfast Run will know that we leave on time. So get there beforehand if you would liket to chat a bit before we set off. Cars are also welcome to join us - I for one will be in my car with the kids.....you all know that I would much rather be on two wheels but I have responsibilities now in the form of Nadia and Enzo!

All bikes with engines are welcome, as we do not plan to go fast...there is so much to enjoy along this route. So even if you own or could borrow a scooter, bring it along.

We'll be checking things out over this coming weekend, and will publish the Event soon.

Please diarise the date so that you don't miss out.

We hope to see you all there!

Best regards

GEO936

PS: Geocacher Bikers from other provinces are also welcome!! hint hint

Hi Everyone

The Event has been sent to the Reviewer for publication. Its number is: GC2NG45. I hope it will be published soon enough.

Once published I'll indicate the route we'll follow.

It looks like this is going to be a great Event, and if successful this time round, we'll arrange another one later on in the year as many bikers have indicated they won't be able to attend this one.

Happy caching!

Silvia

Update on the Breakfast Run....

We'll meet at the Castle in Laezonia (cache there is : GC1W069 - Old Castle) at around 06h15. We'll hang around here for 15 minutes to give everyone a chance to arrive and get sorted. We'll depart at 06h30 sharp and head on the R511 towards Harties. At the stop street we'll turn left into the R104 and go past Broederstroom. We'll then turn left into the R400/D400/R3/T7 (whichever route marker works for you). At the t-junction we'll turn right into the R563 and arrive at the end point - Auto Cradle Estate on the left hand side.

The Venue has a "clean your helmet's visor" facility and ample space upstairs to lay down your helmet and jacket.

Cars are more than welcome to join us on the run - I for one will be in our car with the kids.

The cat has been let out of the bag...

We have placed 31 caches along the Breakfast Run route for all to enjoy. We won't be able to find all of these on the Run itself, but we will stop for three or four. There may be a surprise on the day as well....

You are welcome to hunt for the rest of the caches after the Event at Auto Cradle, and if you like on your way to Auto Cradle if you do not wish to be part of the Run!

Happy Caching!

GEO936