How frustrating... When will my bug start moving again! How to handle this?

PocketPCGuy

Hi,

I am frustrated a bit. My FIRST bug (http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=4190) was placed Feb 10th, and picked up Feb12th. "Yay!" right? ...wrongo! The guy picked it up; I then had to contact him 3 times to get him to post the bug (I was getting emails about it not being at the cache). Now It's been a month and he still has it.

What would you folks do in this situation?

Thanks,

PPC Guy

Seriously though. He hasn't told you what he has planned for the TB? Maybe he is waiting to do something special with it (hopefully not a trip to Iceland) or maybe he only geocaches on occasion or maybe he doesn't know the difference between cache item and a TB and he plans on keeping it. Have you asked him what he plan on doing with the TB and when he plans on placing it?

Don't feel as though plans are set in stone. If he doesn't place it when he sais he will I'd also send an email kindly asking for an update (it may have been placed but not logged). Don't ask why he did place the TB, thats rude and if he wants you to know he will tell you. Sometimes more important things do some up but it is also courtesy to keep the TB owner informed. Sometimes (usually) the TB owner needs to be the proactive one.

quote:
Originally posted by Laserman:

My http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=546 has been missing since November. The guy who picked him up has not responded to any email. I can only hope he starts caching again. icon_mad.gif

Interestingly enough my Darth Maul bug's mission is linked to Qui-Gon, and he too has been out of service for the last two months. The person who has it though, has responded to emails, and has had other more important things to deal with. I think that it is important that you try contacting the person who has it, and politely ask if they have any plans to move it along.

quote:
Originally posted by Laserman:

My http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=546 has been missing since November. The guy who picked him up has not responded to any email. I can only hope he starts caching again. icon_mad.gif

Interestingly enough my Darth Maul bug's mission is linked to Qui-Gon, and he too has been out of service for the last two months. The person who has it though, has responded to emails, and has had other more important things to deal with. I think that it is important that you try contacting the person who has it, and politely ask if they have any plans to move it along.

Brenna et al,

I can't explain this phenomenon either, but I know it's not just Travel Bugs. I've sent many, many emails (not regarding geocaching) to people through their websites or through bulletin boards. Almost always, it's regarding a topic that they are personally interested in. I've found my response rate to be about 15%. (Not scientific, simply an estimate)

I don't know if it's unfamiliarity with computers, or apathy, or what. I think it comes down to the fact that many people forget that another person is on the other side of the screen. Someone who expects a response, much like if you were having a conversation with them.

I've said it before, but I think there is a large number of people who imagine the internet as a big computer game made just for them. It's very easy to turn on your computer, go online, and be surrounded by a big game.

That will only change with familiarity with the internet.

I can only suggest attaching a laminated card to the travel bug, and writing with as few words possible, it's goal and instructions.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Pocket PC Guy / team GeoMurph:

The guy picked it up; I then had to contact him 3 times to get him to post the bug (I was getting emails about it not being at the cache).

I don't have any great suggestions on how to get people to log bugs. However, you can at least save other Bug searchers some disappointment by grabbing the Bug yourself so that it doesn't show up in the cache listing. I've done that with my MIAs after getting confirmations that the Bug is missing.

The guy who actually picked it up can "take" it from you at any time.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I can only suggest attaching a laminated card to the travel bug, and writing _with as few words possible_, it's goal and instructions.

Jamie

Good advice.

Also, it might be important to remember that there are thousands of cachers out there who are really casual about the game and don’t know a lot about travel bugs. That’s why I think an extra note attached helps. A small percentage read these forums. They pick the things up not realizing that they will have to actually respond in some way. By the time they get home, the excitement has worn off, they throw the bug in the corner and forget about it. A lot of people don’t even bother to log their cache finds.

Guess this has all been said before.

Now if there was a way to manage “member only travel bugs” I might go for that. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I can only suggest attaching a laminated card to the travel bug, and writing _with as few words possible_, it's goal and instructions.

Jamie

Good advice.

Also, it might be important to remember that there are thousands of cachers out there who are really casual about the game and don’t know a lot about travel bugs. That’s why I think an extra note attached helps. A small percentage read these forums. They pick the things up not realizing that they will have to actually respond in some way. By the time they get home, the excitement has worn off, they throw the bug in the corner and forget about it. A lot of people don’t even bother to log their cache finds.

Guess this has all been said before.

Now if there was a way to manage “member only travel bugs” I might go for that. icon_wink.gif

Perhaps we should ask for the bugs back — assuming the person is answering emails.

That is, if they are not going to place it, then send them a self-stamped box, padded envelope or whatever, so they may send the bug back to you the owner. That might get them either going to the cache, or going to the post office.

I'll admit it. I'm one of the layabout slackers you're all annoyed by. I have a travel bug in my possession that I found a little over a month ago.

No real excuse for not just dumping it in the nearest drive-by cache, but let me throw out a few points.

1. Not everyone lives, breathes, and dreams geocaching. Some people don't do it every week. As much as I'd like to, it's not always in the cards.

2. When you put out a Travel Bug or geocache you've left its future up to the Fates. Some will disappear, some will be vandalized or stolen, some will hibernate, and some will travel from one spectacular cache location to another and be logged 20 minutes afterwards.

3. Patience.

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

I'll admit it. I'm one of the layabout slackers you're all annoyed by. I have a travel bug in my possession that I found a little over a month ago.

No real excuse for not just dumping it in the nearest drive-by cache [...]

Not everyone lives, breathes, and dreams geocaching.

I understand that people have different levels of interest and enthusiasm for geocaching. But, in my opinion, if you can't commit to moving travelers along in a timely fashion, then the polite thing to do is pass them up, and leave them available for those who are willing to move them along quickly. There's no rule that says you have to latch on to a travel bug if you run across one.

But even more important than moving travelers along quickly is simple COMMUNICATION.

I had a travel bug picked up a few weeks ago...and just as I was starting to wonder whether it was AWOL, the person sent an e-mail to reassure me that it wasn't lost; but that, due to the streak of bad weather we've been having (especially on weekends), he hadn't had the chance to get it back into circulation. He assured me that he'd be doing so ASAP.

Notes like that can go a long way to helping out a travel bug owner's patience. (At least it works for me.) icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on March 13, 2002 at 10:39 PM.]

quote:

No real excuse for not just dumping it in the nearest drive-by cache [...]

Not everyone lives, breathes, and dreams geocaching.

I understand that people have different levels of interest and enthusiasm for geocaching. But, in my opinion, if you can't commit to moving travelers along in a timely fashion, then the polite thing to do is pass them up, and leave them available for those who are willing to move them along quickly. There's no rule that says you have to latch on to a travel bug if you run across one.

But even more important than moving travelers along quickly is simple COMMUNICATION.

I had a travel bug picked up a few weeks ago...and just as I was starting to wonder whether it was AWOL, the person sent an e-mail to reassure me that it wasn't lost; but that, due to the streak of bad weather we've been having (especially on weekends), he hadn't had the chance to get it back into circulation. He assured me that he'd be doing so ASAP.

Notes like that can go a long way to helping out a travel bug owner's patience. (At least it works for me.) icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on March 13, 2002 at 10:39 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

the polite thing to do is _pass them up_, and leave them available for those who _are_ willing to move them along quickly. There's no rule that says you _have_ to latch on to a travel bug if you run across one.

I agree. My excuse is that when I picked it up, my intention was to replace it within a few days, but other things got in the way.

I guess part of my point is that for someone who only caches infrequently, 2 months might not seem like a long time. To hardcore junkies like us, two days is enough to get us squirming. But like you said, polite communication is probably the best answer.

I'm gonna rehide that Bug today I swear!

COMMUNICATION is the key. I have released eight travel bugs, the only one I have been uspset about is Qui Gon, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. In all the other cases the people who picked them up have communicated their intentions and I have been very appreciative of this. Usually with excited anticipation of the results.

There may be a very good reason why the person has not been able to move Qui Gon along (weather, health, casual cacher, who knows) that is why I think that COMMUNICATION is the key to help ease the mind of the owner.

quote:

No real excuse for not just dumping it in the nearest drive-by cache, but let me throw out a few points.

_1._ Not everyone lives, breathes, and dreams geocaching. Some people don't do it every week. As much as I'd like to, it's not always in the cards.

_2._ When you put out a Travel Bug or geocache you've left its future up to the Fates. Some will disappear, some will be vandalized or stolen, some will hibernate, and some will travel from one spectacular cache location to another and be logged 20 minutes afterwards.

_3._ Patience.

Along with patience is communication, which I notice you didn't mention. Let the owner know whats up.

...is paved with good intentions. icon_wink.gif

quote:

My excuse is that when I picked it up, my intention was to replace it within a few days, but other things got in the way.

I can definitely relate with having good intentions, and then having other things get in the way. I'm sure we all can. And I don't think anyone will be out to lynch you for being slow on one occasion (as long as you keep them informed). If it turns into a regular pattern, they may begin to get less forgiving.

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan (on 3/14/02):

So did you hide it? (Or at least send the owner an e-mail?) I know the day's not quite over yet...but the daylight pretty much is. icon_wink.gif

...is paved with good intentions. icon_wink.gif

quote:

My excuse is that when I picked it up, my intention was to replace it within a few days, but other things got in the way.

I can definitely relate with having good intentions, and then having other things get in the way. I'm sure we all can. And I don't think anyone will be out to lynch you for being slow on one occasion (as long as you keep them informed). If it turns into a regular pattern, they may begin to get less forgiving.

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan (on 3/14/02):

So did you hide it? (Or at least send the owner an e-mail?) I know the day's not quite over yet...but the daylight pretty much is. icon_wink.gif

Both of my TBs have been sitting in people's backpacks for months. I have e-mailed them several times with no answers. I can see that they have also been out finding other Geocaches. Perhaps they think they are not in the right direction for the objectives for the TBs, but at least if they placed them in a cache, someone else could move them along. I don't think I will invest in any more Travel Bugs.

There's just such a difference between getting completely blown off and a quick note.

We bought a 4-pack of bugs, and have released two. With one we have had a really good experience, with the other... hmmm... notsogood.

Here KO_DAT_VEY had our bug and was *great* with keeping us posted, even though in travel bug time I suppose a month isn't that long. Thanks KDV, you rock!

Here the cacher that has it even logged "We'll keep you posted." Heh. (I explained above what happened with that!)

I understand that it could be worse. But this really takes the fun out of it. I scanned through that user's cache logs quick, and I see that there were caches found after picking up our bug. So....

I guess I really don't know what to think. This is a game that takes the community to make it work. I probably won't send out our other two bugs. Too dissappointing. icon_smile.gif

And you don't need to live, breathe, and dream geocaching to fire off a friendly update. Takes two minutes. If you're not up to it, then don't play.

Brenna

Bump On A Log

There's just such a difference between getting completely blown off and a quick note.

We bought a 4-pack of bugs, and have released two. With one we have had a really good experience, with the other... hmmm... notsogood.

Here KO_DAT_VEY had our bug and was *great* with keeping us posted, even though in travel bug time I suppose a month isn't that long. Thanks KDV, you rock!

Here the cacher that has it even logged "We'll keep you posted." Heh. (I explained above what happened with that!)

I understand that it could be worse. But this really takes the fun out of it. I scanned through that user's cache logs quick, and I see that there were caches found after picking up our bug. So....

I guess I really don't know what to think. This is a game that takes the community to make it work. I probably won't send out our other two bugs. Too dissappointing. icon_smile.gif

And you don't need to live, breathe, and dream geocaching to fire off a friendly update. Takes two minutes. If you're not up to it, then don't play.

Brenna

Bump On A Log

quote:
Originally posted by 88girl:

Brenna

http://www.mngeo.com

Heck, I’ve still got four to launch. I’m not totally discouraged yet. I’ve been holding off to see if the awareness about travel bugs increases among the average geocacher .

creekbed%20logo%20original.gif

CreekBed Geocache

quote:
Originally posted by 88girl:

Brenna

http://www.mngeo.com

Heck, I’ve still got four to launch. I’m not totally discouraged yet. I’ve been holding off to see if the awareness about travel bugs increases among the average geocacher .

CreekBed Geocache

What is the deal?!?!? I don't see how people get so frustrated with not being able to see their TB bounce across the world from the confines of their comfortable chairs, with eyes glued to a computer monitor. Have people forgotten what geocaching is about or what? I certainly do not want to try to help contribute to moving a TB along if I have to be hounded by some person harrassing me from their computer desk to go out and take my time to drop their bug off. When I release a bug I am doing so to enjoy watching what it does without my involvement other than placing the tag and dropping it off. It seems to me like some people place their bugs into the "wild" and then try to conrol their bug by commanding (like some sort of war general) to get out and place their bug within a week. I don't visit caches more than once and I have done all the caches in a 30 mile radius. I go to college. I bowl on a league. I have a girlfriend. It snows here. It rains here. But I like to contribute to moving bugs on the rare occasion that I find one in a cache that I find. So all you TB pushers why don't you look at your bug as property that is owned by all geocachers since the ones that are helping to move it are actually putting in some time and dedication to your bug. Not to start any arguments but just trying to throw some more light on the subject and get some other points out there.

-GhostWolf

quote:
Originally posted by GhostWolf:

So all you TB pushers why don't you look at your bug as property that is owned by all geocachers since the ones that are helping to move it are actually putting in some time and dedication to your bug.

-GhostWolf

We're talking about the people that *don't* help to move it and *don't* put time and dedication into it. icon_smile.gif

Brenna

Bump On A Log

quote:
Originally posted by GhostWolf:

So all you TB pushers why don't you look at your bug as property that is owned by all geocachers since the ones that are helping to move it are actually putting in some time and dedication to your bug.

-GhostWolf

We're talking about the people that *don't* help to move it and *don't* put time and dedication into it. icon_smile.gif

Brenna

Bump On A Log

I don't consider e-mails inquiring about your bug as harrassment. I think that being upset if it doesn't move within 7 days is ridiculous. Some people only can cache on weekends. Well probably more than half. I don't want to see half the people in a sport not be involved in an aspect of the game because of some unrealistic rule like "you have 7 days to move a bug or you can't play".

-Peace

GhostWolf

quote:
Originally posted by Pfaef:

I am curious to know what their (those that took the travel bugs)take on all this is. Why would they wait so long? Too busy to take it back out, too lazy?

Obviously there is no way to tell, but I wonder if “geocaching burn-out” could have anything to do with it. A lot of people come into the activity full of excitement, do it a couple of times and then are never heard from again (or the travel bug they took). As it’s been said elsewhere, most people don’t take the game too seriously.

And then there are people like me making websites, customizing cache cards, following travel bugs and browsing the dollar stores for that special cache item. My wife just rolls her eyes in amazement.

icon_rolleyes.gif

CreekBed.com

quote:
Originally posted by Pfaef:

I am curious to know what their (those that took the travel bugs)take on all this is. Why would they wait so long? Too busy to take it back out, too lazy?

Obviously there is no way to tell, but I wonder if “geocaching burn-out” could have anything to do with it. A lot of people come into the activity full of excitement, do it a couple of times and then are never heard from again (or the travel bug they took). As it’s been said elsewhere, most people don’t take the game too seriously.

And then there are people like me making websites, customizing cache cards, following travel bugs and browsing the dollar stores for that special cache item. My wife just rolls her eyes in amazement.

icon_rolleyes.gif

CreekBed.com

Hi All!

I was finally able to get in contact with the guy. He had gotten busy in the real world and didn't have much time for geocaching (OH MY GOD!).

Anyway, I got him back from him and just released him again. So RoundTrip ElmoBug is (hopefully) in his way again!

B.

PocketPC Guy

Tracy and I have both found TBugs (3) and released TBugs(1). The first two we found, we held them a week and got them moving again. We grabbed them knowing we had another outing planned, and would release them again on that outing. The last one we grabbed, was held for a month. We had loose plans for an outing, but had bad weather, then got busy, and finally got the bug released again. Since that TBug was released again, it's travelled 1600 miles very quickly.

We're planning a trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon, and are currently planning to grab two TBugs to take with us. One is currently being moved from PA (thanks again MissJenn), and the other is still in a cache. We contacted the TBug owners about moving these TBugs on, and got great responses (Markwell is helping get Wonder Woman moved closer to us), and don't mind if we have to hold the TBugs to get them there.

My point is communication is important. If our TBug was sitting in a cache and logged as being in a cache, we aren't as worried as if someone has it and has not released it back into a cache. Our TBug has had a problem with people grabbing it, but not logging the release, so we think they still have it. They haven't responded to emails, and suddenly we see an update that someone else has our TBug. That's annoying as all get-out.

Richard and Tracy

Our TBug has a note asking people not to grab it if they can't move it on quickly.

On the upside, Trailfrogs dropped us an email stating that the Moon Man has all his gear, but someone traded his ziplock bag for a nice pouch. To that very generous Geocacher- THANKS!

Richard and Tracy

Here’s my dilemma, one of my Travel Bugs has been grabbed by another cacher who won’t release it. They have been holding it for several months.

I released the bug in a local cache late on a Sunday afternoon. The cacher grabbed the bug that night and even left a log noting that they made a special trip to the cache after midnight with a flashlight just to get it. It’s interesting because the park that contains the cache closes the gate at 8:00 PM in the winter months and it’s a pretty long walk from the gate to the cache.

The cacher has promised on several occasions to release the bug while on various business trips and/or vacations but never has. He has always provided excuses such as forgot it in the car, hotel, suitcase, other jacket, home, etc….

This particular cacher owns 4 caches in the immediate area. Of the 4 caches, 2 can be reached in about 3 minutes if you know where to park and can be done in a pair of tennis shoes, no hiking boots needed. I’ve e-mailed this cacher several times and have asked that they drop the bug off in one of their own caches since they can’t seem to take it elsewhere. The cacher leaves logs indicating that he visits his own caches regularly to update the page with the latest contents. By my count, he has visited his own caches nearly a dozen times since grabbing the bug. This isn’t an uninformed newbie or rookie, he has over 60 caches logged and according to his profile, has found 4 bugs. It makes me wonder what happened to those bugs??

I’m not sure what to do. Short of announcing the cretin’s name in this forum so other people can e-mail him and put pressure on him, what can I do to get this bug released? Or do I just write it off?

I just e-mailed the cacher that has Superman, since he's now had him for 89 days. icon_rolleyes.gif

He agreed to put the tag on him that I had made, and then release him into the wild. Hasn't happened yet. Good thing Superman has the easiest goals of the Challenge of the Superfriends.

The frustrating this is that with Jeremy's new additions to the results page of the "Caches Found by This User" query, I can see that the bug holder has found 6 caches since he picked up the bug, and he is still actively Geocaching (just found four virtuals on 4/6).

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I just e-mailed the cacher that has Superman, since he's now had him for 89 days. icon_rolleyes.gif

He agreed to put the tag on him that I had made, and then release him into the wild. Hasn't happened yet. Good thing Superman has the easiest goals of the Challenge of the Superfriends.

The frustrating this is that with Jeremy's new additions to the results page of the "Caches Found by This User" query, I can see that the bug holder has found 6 caches since he picked up the bug, and he is still actively Geocaching (just found four virtuals on 4/6).

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

We're in the same boat. The person holding Quarter Pounder has visited two caches since getting it, and both in the direction QP wants to go. One is even another State-Quarter-themed cache (the cache where we released QP was also State-Quarter-themed.) But we're hoping maybe he's planning a trip further south sometime soon and that's why he hasn't placed QP yet.