Dakota 20 + Heart Rate Monitor

I combine geocaching and fitness (running/hiking), and I'm wondering if the heart rate monitor can be helpful. The name says what it does but what does that really get me when pared with a Dakota 20? I'm not having much luck finding this info. Also, when uploading my data to Garmin Connect does some statistical info for heart rate also get uploaded? Thanks.

I've recently bought the HRM chest strap (HRM1G) for my oregon 300. The only display it will provide on the unit is heartrate at that moment in time : no graphs or average figures. Since the heartrate is recorded in the .gpx, the heartrate is displayed as a graph when uploaded to garmin connect and garmin connect also shows max/min/average too.

Be aware that there is a bug in garmin connect - if you do an auto upload, heartrate info is stripped out. You need to save as the track on the unit and then manually upload the .gpx file to preserve the heartrate info...

Be mindful that the HRM uses the 2.4ghz wireless range and is therefore prone to interference near wireless routers/games consoles/cordless phones.

Initially I wasn't aware it attached to the chest. Kind of a hassle but should be ok. I'm almost always in the woods so interference shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the all the great info.

Follow up question: Not a big deal but would be nice. Can calories be calculated from my weight and all the data collected? The track info and HRM info.

Initially I wasn't aware it attached to the chest. Kind of a hassle but should be ok. I'm almost always in the woods so interference shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the all the great info.

Follow up question: Not a big deal but would be nice. Can calories be calculated from my weight and all the data collected? The track info and HRM info.

I've not yet worked this out. If you find a way please let us know.