Easy peasy Geocaches in Vancouver please

ayrbrain

All being well we are off to Vancouver in a few months. As i have never geocached abroad yet and bear in mind i am dragging my OH around with me as it is ME who likes Geocaching and OH comes along to keep the peace! Are there any very easy ones within walking distance of W.Geogia Street Vancouver, where we will be staying. I have looked the site but not too sure of the distance etc, I would so like to be able to find even the one cache in Vancouver just to say i have done so. If i could get the co-ords/names before leaving for a couple that would be great,

many thanks for any help.

All being well we are off to Vancouver in a few months. As i have never geocached abroad yet and bear in mind i am dragging my OH around with me as it is ME who likes Geocaching and OH comes along to keep the peace! Are there any very easy ones within walking distance of W.Geogia Street Vancouver, where we will be staying. I have looked the site but not too sure of the distance etc, I would so like to be able to find even the one cache in Vancouver just to say i have done so. If i could get the co-ords/names before leaving for a couple that would be great,

You didn't state where on Georgia Street you would be. Since Georgia St. is a fairly long street, I'm making the assumption that you are in the downtown core, probably near Georgia and Burrard Streets. I did a quick search of caches within 1 mile of N49 17.061; W123 07.257 which returned 22 caches, most with relatively easy ratings. Some of them have fairly high Favorites ratings. Check them out as you are the best one to determine which cache(s) are most suitable for you during your visit. If you extend the search to 2 or 3 miles then it would include Stanley Park which has quite a few non-urban caches.

Don't mean to cause a fuss, but shouldn't this thread have been moved to the "Canada" forum?

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to Vancouver, British Columbia.

:)

Yea, I'm pretty sure he was referring to Vancouver, BC as well. Unless, of course, there is a West Georgia St. in Vancouver WA.

ayrbrain...do consider extending your area to include Stanley Park. I don't live in Vancouver and I've yet to cache there but I've visited the city, and Stanley Park is such a great place. I don't think there are any safety concerns during the daytime, not sure about night. Perhaps someone who lives ther could correct me if I'm wrong?

ayrbrain...do consider extending your area to include Stanley Park. I don't live in Vancouver and I've yet to cache there but I've visited the city, and Stanley Park is such a great place. I don't think there are any safety concerns during the daytime, not sure about night. Perhaps someone who lives ther could correct me if I'm wrong?

Actually, if you're willing to stray out of the downtown core a bit I would highly recommend caching in Pacific Spirit Park which is part of the University of British Columbia (UBC). It is a huge forest with nicer, more diverse trails, far fewer people using them and 3 times as many caches as Stanley Park. However, it would require the use of transit to get their from downtown Vancouver.

I find it difficult to understand where I am supposed to write on this geo site.

Maybe it is just me :-( with my thick head on.

We will be in Vancouver BC for 3 nights then back for 2 nights later on in the holiday. OH isn't as keen on Geo as me but does support me by tagging along ;-)K

I will be bringing my GPS along on the off chance and would like to put in co-ords before leaving UK. I didn;t want to join too many sites so that is why I posted on this one. (Still learning my way about the site)

You didn't state where on Georgia Street you would be. Since Georgia St. is a fairly long street, I'm making the assumption that you are in the downtown core, probably near Georgia and Burrard Streets. I did a quick search of caches within 1 mile of N49 17.061; W123 07.257 which returned 22 caches, most with relatively easy ratings. Some of them have fairly high Favorites ratings. Check them out as you are the best one to determine which cache(s) are most suitable for you during your visit. If you extend the search to 2 or 3 miles then it would include Stanley Park which has quite a few non-urban caches.

Many thanks I have a note of them now and will have a look.

:-)

If you have someone with you who isn't as keen on geocaching but would like to see some cool sights, I'd recommend Stanley Park, Robson Sq area and False Creek/Granville Island. These locations are high on many tourists lists and also have great caches. We also liked the caches in Yaletown along the waterfront walkway. There was a great Robson Sq area multi during the Olympics. Can anyone provide the GC number? Is it still there?

I'll have to echo Landsharkz about Stanley Park and Granville Island. They're cool places and have a variety of caches to boot. Traditional, virtual and EC at Stanley Park I know for sure.

I also think BC's first would be worth it. I missed the chance for that one last time around. There's also a nice spot I heard about, Queen Elizabeth Park. EarthCache, traditionals, puzzles and multi nearby and the scenery/view is supposed to be great.

If you have someone with you who isn't as keen on geocaching but would like to see some cool sights, I'd recommend Stanley Park, Robson Sq area and False Creek/Granville Island. These locations are high on many tourists lists and also have great caches. We also liked the caches in Yaletown along the waterfront walkway. There was a great Robson Sq area multi during the Olympics. Can anyone provide the GC number? Is it still there?

Great photo ops where Landsharkz have mentioned, and just so you know...Mrs L has Scots heritage, I believe! If the multi that Landsharkz mentioned was Blue Sky "something," it appears to be out of commission at the moment.

Edited by popokiiti

Great photo ops where Landsharkz have mentioned, and just so you know...Mrs L has Scots heritage, I believe! If the multi that Landsharkz mentioned was Blue Sky "something," it appears to be out of commission at the moment.

Looks like Stanley Park is a favourite :-) I have a few co-ords for there and hope to put in more before we leave in a few weeks time. I now have a Geocoin that wants to get to Canada which was left in one of my caches, so hopefully I will find one in our (Canada) area that will accommodate the Geocoin and allow it to continue onwards on its journey to another part of Canada. Thank you for all help.

I moved to Vancouver for a few months for work between September and November of last year. I lived on Seymour & West Pender. Being Torontonian I had to acclimatize myself to the new geography of the city (not as clear cut as Toronto thanks to the beautiful geography of the Pacific Northwest). The best way to do so was doing every single cache within a 2 or 3km radius of my home. As soon as I got to know the town better, I started doing the ones further away in Stanley Park, etc.

I highly recommend that you do it that way, and all the ones in the downtown core are very easy.