how do I "delete" a travel bug from my cache?

Guest husqui

Somebody placed a travel bug in one of my caches over 10 days ago. Since then at least 10 people have found my cache but the travel bug is unaccounted for. It appears to have disappeared -- I will check the cache myself in a couple of days to see if a)it's truly gone and b)if anyone signed the log book and took the travel bug but never logged onto the website.

I also emailed the cacher who left the travel bug to ask him to describe it; maybe it's still there but the tag fell off or whatever (he had no description as to what the bug is attached to --- not described in the travel bug page or his log; he simply calls it a generic travel bug). It's been a few days now and I never got a response back from him. I will try him again once I visit the cache and verify it's non-existence.

If the bug is now MIA, I feel that as part of cache management, I should "delete" it from my cache. How do I go about doing this?

Guest Markwell

My guess is that the cleanest way would be to e-mail Jeremy. The only way you remove a cache from the front-end of the system is to "retrieve" it from the cache, and the only way to do that is with the 6 digit code engraved on the tag itself.

I presume that Jeremy might be able to put it into some type of Travel Bug Limbo until a cacher finds the bug and uses the 6 digit code to "grab" it. Otherwise it would just go into dormancy as a MIA bug.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

That's what I did when a bug of mine went AWOL... grabbed it using my copy tag for the number... since then I record all TB numbers on my palm so that if I need to add a note at any time I have the numbers all together. Hate having it say that it's in my hands though because it isn't and if by chance the person that does have him gets curious and decides to give the logging thing a try I wouldn't want to scare them off. There should be a missing in action.. or waiting to hear kind of log possible. I think anyways... TB's are a great idea.. but I think they need more refinement to really work with the general geocaching community... most of the community is so new all the time... it's got to be made easier.

Guest kablooey

Maybe we should create a bogus cache called "Travel Bug Limbo", where missing Travel Bugs can be stashed.

Actually, nevermind, that's a bad idea. It'd mess up the mileage thing.