Backdoor way to log PMO caches

lemon16

Fair enough, thank you all for your feedback.

Hopefully my opinion will change over the year. All I can say is that £25 seems expensive compared to other things I buy, for what I get. Just saying "Geocaching is worth it" doesn't cut it, email is worth it but I don't pay £25 a year for that because the costs of providing it are so low.

As a web developer I would pay £25/year if there was more open access to the cache locations. I use Geooh as my main cache app but that is hobbled by the fact it keeps having to revert to webpages because much content in the GC app isn't available through the API. I don't get why a free member gets many features in the GC app that paid members can't get in third party apps due to Groundspeak's API.

Edited by daddybeth

I prefer Geooh GO as my 'traveling away from home' app as well.  It provides the opportunity to do some more spontaneous caching, especially for newer caches, when I'm not really expecting nor prepared to do so.  However, I don't see where there's anything I could need that the Geooh app doesn't provide to PM subscribers.  As far as I can tell, the API information available on that app isn't any less than what is available to any other app that I've seen, including the one provided by gc.com.  And I really like what the author had done with what IS available.  For the occasional Wherigo, it's about as good as it gets.  Apart from the fact that a some of its functionality depends upon the PM membership, I'm unclear as to what it's doing that is causing trouble for you.  It would be interesting to hear your feelings about the differences.

I have a funny story how a geocacher got a muggle to join geocaching.com, although I wouldn't recommend it.  She found one of our newly published caches and screamed with delight because she was FTF and wanted the rock cache prize we had left. It was part way in the woods, a muggle walking by heard her scream and walked over to see if she was okay. She explained that she was geocaching, explained what it was,  and showed him what she had found. It was one of our survivor containers with lots of swag. He was intrigued and said he was interested in joining. Soon after someone new with only 5 finds found some of our caches.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:30 PM, daddybeth said:

Fair enough, thank you all for your feedback.

Hopefully my opinion will change over the year. All I can say is that £25 seems expensive compared to other things I buy, for what I get. Just saying "Geocaching is worth it" doesn't cut it, email is worth it but I don't pay £25 a year for that because the costs of providing it are so low.

As a web developer I would pay £25/year if there was more open access to the cache locations. I use Geooh as my main cache app but that is hobbled by the fact it keeps having to revert to webpages because much content in the GC app isn't available through the API. I don't get why a free member gets many features in the GC app that paid members can't get in third party apps due to Groundspeak's API.

I'm guessing that you have some things set differently in your Geooh app if it gives you less information than the free GS app. £2 per month is pretty inexpensive for access to all the information that a hobby has to offer.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:30 AM, daddybeth said:

My internet access costs me $83 a month ($996 a year), my email is part of my personal website hosting ($89 a year) and my phone plan costs me $59 a month ($708 a year). Geocaching makes up a large proportion of my usage of those things, but the $47 premium membership costs me a year is pretty insignificant in comparion. About ten cups of coffee a year.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
On 1/2/2020 at 12:30 AM, daddybeth said:

I don't get why a free member gets many features in the GC app that paid members can't get in third party apps due to Groundspeak's API.

Like what?

A good API enabled app will give you all the info you see on the website and let you log via API too.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, niraD said:

Yeah, nothing "unethical" about it. A lot of us started this way, where experienced geocachers took us on geocaching hikes, and we created our accounts and logged those finds afterwards.

This brings up our experience this morning. We were FTF on a newly published cache today (1/4/20) but non-geocache members signed the paper log 12/30/19 and another 01/01/20. I know they are not geocache members yet because one person signed her full name and the other 3 didn't sign a name but only the date (it looked like kids handwriting). This is before it was even published.  Anyway, you can read my irk in the IRK thread. lol 

I'm a new geocacher, and I feel that it is fine to do geocaching without a premium membership, but it is not right to take advantage of geocaching for a free premium membership either by hacking or using a friend's account. The whole point of geocaching is to use a map or GPS, not to randomly find a premium only geocache. I'm just going to ask for a premium membership from family. If you want a membership but don't have money, ask a family member to buy you one. If you don't want that don't get one or buy it yourself.

• Funny 1

$30 annually is cheap for entertainment though I know you said you have philosophical issues with Groundspeak. 

Personally I just find geocaches, no longer hide them, sporadically come into the forums and like all forums comments go downhill quickly. 

$30 is easy to waste, people do it all the time on cigarettes, alcohol, recreational drugs, tattoos and Starbucks.