Backdoor way to log PMO caches

lemon16

Abbreviated instructions for non-PM members:

1. Go to http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

2. In box that says GC code type in the GC code of the PMO cache.

3. Click the button labeled Log.

4. Log the cache.

5. repeat as necessary.

I found another EASY method,

Go to the Beta Maps, zoom to the area where the cache is and zoom in until you see the cache you want to log.

For non PMs it shows as a browny coloured dot. Close in it is clickable and a balloon opens with some data/options.

No need to go further, since you get the usual blocked page, but on the balloon is 'log this cache'... of course you have to read to verify that you have the correct one you are after... Don't mind saying this now that they have FIXED the Send to GPS glitch that would provide the exact coordinates until recently. That one I didn't advertise. You can still triangulate for those, it's more fun anyway. You still learn nothing about the cache itself other than T/D and size. Might be impossible for you, say, a puzzle type.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I just skimmed through this topic and have to drop in my 2 cents worth.

We pay the bucks to support the GC site and hope for a few perks to be thrown our way.

We use geocaching as a diversion from the hectic everyday mundane stuff.

For our $30 bucks a year we don't have to sit in a theater, sit at a pro sports game, etc to be entertained. Ten minutes of PQ, Gsak and vantage point opens up a whole lot of options for me, outdoors and off the couch.

If your worried about a few people using a "backdoor" approach to logging MOC caches, then your too serious about this from a entertainment prospective and you might think about doing something else.

I see the need for the feature myself if the area these people cache in is thick with MOC caches.

These cachers who make their cache MOC because they are ticked of at "Joe Blow" who only has MOC caches pretty soon saturate the area and the every day cachers does not stand a chance in finding cache nor in placing caches because they don't know where all the caches are. In a since, your just shooting yourselves in the foot with MOC saturation as you will run everyone else off due to your petty bickering.

Enough for 2 cents worth? Get your value? Want change?

Edited by logscaler & Red

I just skimmed through this topic and have to drop in my 2 cents worth.

We pay the bucks to support the GC site and hope for a few perks to be thrown our way.

We use geocaching as a diversion from the hectic everyday mundane stuff.

For our $30 bucks a year we don't have to sit in a theater, sit at a pro sports game, etc to be entertained. Ten minutes of PQ, Gsak and vantage point opens up a whole lot of options for me, outdoors and off the couch.

If your worried about a few people using a "backdoor" approach to logging MOC caches, then your too serious about this from a entertainment prospective and you might think about doing something else.

I see the need for the feature myself if the area these people cache in is thick with MOC caches.

These cachers who make their cache MOC because they are ticked of at "Joe Blow" who only has MOC caches pretty soon saturate the area and the every day cachers does not stand a chance in finding cache nor in placing caches because they don't know where all the caches are. In a since, your just shooting yourselves in the foot with MOC saturation as you will run everyone else off due to your petty bickering.

Enough for 2 cents worth? Get your value? Want change?

You can keep the change, but I have questions. I notice your forum title says Oregon. I have noted lately the amount of MOC caches in Oregon is insane. I wouldn't doubt 1/4-1/3 of the caches in the entire State are MOC's. Look at any of the Cities, it might be half of them. I don't know, do you, or anyone you know have a GSAK database of the State? I'd love to know the percentage.

It used to be someone would come to the forums from say Missouri, and complain about MOC's. You could run a PQ of MOC's in the State, there'd be less than 500, and you could figure out the percentage. That ain't gonna work here.

So if I read this correctly, you're saying many people make their caches MOC's to spite people that make all their caches MOC's? :huh: I have not heard of such a thing.

You can keep the change, but I have questions. I notice your forum title says Oregon. I have noted lately the amount of MOC caches in Oregon is insane. I wouldn't doubt 1/4-1/3 of the caches in the entire State are MOC's. Look at any of the Cities, it might be half of them. I don't know, do you, or anyone you know have a GSAK database of the State? I'd love to know the percentage.

All of Oregon has 27,382 caches as of 12:01am 06Nov2011 Of those 1091 are PMO caches

However the Portland Metro area consisting of Multnomah Washington and Clackamas counties have 6605 caches 911 of them are PMOs.

All of Oregon has 27,382 caches as of 12:01am 06Nov2011 Of those 1091 are PMO caches

However the Portland Metro area consisting of Multnomah Washington and Clackamas counties have 6605 caches 911 of them are PMOs.

Well I guess that answers that question.

For what I looked at, there are 500 PMO caches within a 96 miles search area, from Deschutes Junction, Oregon.

So the 1091 PMO caches comprise roughly something like 4 percent of the total.

As for the cachers making PMO caches to spite their counterparts, I actually have no idea if that happens or not but the mentality of human nature puts the possibility up front.

From my experience, Most PMO caches are made that way to track who is looking at the cache, whether for nefarious purposes or not I do not know, but for the most part just to see who it is, from where they are and how many times they look at the cache. I will occasionally go to a PMO cache page and open it a flock of times just to mess with the cache owner.

I would be interested in where Funnynose got this information and or how it was derived.

Edited by logscaler & Red

Still doesn't sound right. You're telling me there are only 180 MOC's in the whole State outside of the Portland area? I will admit to serious overestimation though!! However, 4% is quite a few orders of magnitude above the 1% (at best) we could usually come up with when Joe Schmuck from (insert State here) would complain about MOC's, and we'd do a PQ and find like 100 MOC's in a state with 10,000 caches.

Just because I was curious I checked the PMO saturation in my town (Eugene, Oregon) vs. Portland, Oregon. I checked the 5000 caches closest to me (which extended pretty far - quite a ways out of my county) and I checked the 5000 caches closest to the downtown Portland zip code (which, interestingly enough, didn't extend much outside the Portland/Vancouver metro area - wow, lots of caches around Portland). I made sure my two search areas didn't overlap.

Of the 5000 caches nearest to me, 393 are are PMO (or 7.86%). Of the 5000 caches closest to downtown Portland, 1042 are PMO (or 20.84%). (For the record, this would include caches in nearby Washington, which might explain why my numbers differ from FunnyNose.)

If I drop the search area down to the 2000 caches closest to Portland/Eugene, it drops the percentages as well (the largest concentration of PMO caches is not in either city's downtown core area): Of the 2000 caches closest to me, 96 are PMO (or 4.8%). Of the 2000 caches closest to downtown Portland, 349 are PMO (or 17.45%).

Edited by terrkan78

For what I looked at, there are 500 PMO caches within a 96 miles search area, from Deschutes Junction, Oregon.

As for the cachers making PMO caches to spite their counterparts, I actually have no idea if that happens or not but the mentality of human nature puts the possibility up front.

From my experience, Most PMO caches are made that way to track who is looking at the cache, whether for nefarious purposes or not I do not know, but for the most part just to see who it is, from where they are and how many times they look at the cache. I will occasionally go to a PMO cache page and open it a flock of times just to mess with the cache owner.

I would be interested in where Funnynose got this information and or how it was derived.

What I don't understand (and I try to respect others decisions) is why a 2001 Charter member is not helping support GC by being a Premimum Member?

You made your decision not to be one, and others chose to become members and we have those benefits to use as we chose. Almost all my caches are PMO caches. Most of the cachers in our area are PMs and the ones who are not are either, family members, newbies or sock puppets. I have no problem letting nonPMs log my caches. In fact I send them the link to log them in. But yes I chose to keep them that way because I would like to see who is looking. To me it is like looking out a window to see who is going to knock on my door. It's curiousity, spying and checking. I know there is also a way to view a page without your name showing up on the list. And yes I believe most of my caches are worth being PMO caches.

Edited by jellis

What I don't understand (and I try to respect others decisions) is why a 2001 Charter member is not helping support GC by being a Premimum Member?

You made your decision not to be one, and others chose to become members and we have those benefits to use as we chose. Almost all my caches are PMO caches. Most of the cachers in our area are PMs and the ones who are not are either, family members, newbies or sock puppets. I have no problem letting nonPMs log my caches. In fact I send them the link to log them in. But yes I chose to keep them that way because I would like to see who is looking. To me it is like looking out a window to see who is going to knock on my door. It's curiousity, spying and checking. I know there is also a way to view a page without your name showing up on the list. And yes I believe most of my caches are worth being PMO caches.

Oh gosh. I strongly disagree with just about everything in this post. :P From almost all your caches being PMO down to using the audit log for "curiousity, spying and checking". I'll just leave it at saying I strongly disagree. There's a little misunderstanding there in your post though, the Charter member is most certainly a premium member, and if you look, owns several PMO's himself.

:laughing:

Good idea.

:ph34r:

Oh gosh. I strongly disagree with just about everything in this post. :P From almost all your caches being PMO down to using the audit log for "curiousity, spying and checking". I'll just leave it at saying I strongly disagree. There's a little misunderstanding there in your post though, the Charter member is most certainly a premium member, and if you look, owns several PMO's himself.

Yes I am wrong about that. I have another reason for my PMO but I already explained it in another posting and chose not to repeat it here. Flocking my audit list doesn't bother me at all. That is not why I am looking. But if GS gave us the option to make our caches PMO and I have the option to audit, then I will.

And yes Pup Patrol I saw you too. What did you think of my puzzles? My earlier puzzles were not created by me. I also created one under the name of Tango501 called Don't give me any back lip?

Edited by jellis

I have been informed that there is a backdoor way for basic members to log PMO caches. I have decided to stop wasting my money for a PM account but this means I can't log the PMO caches I just found. Can you explain know how the backdoor method works (if it exists)?

Thanks

I'll answer this question and not because I agree with the whole backdoor method that allows NPM to log PMO caches but to make a point.

We currently own 194 caches. ALL 194 ARE PMO !

Why ? 2 reasons....First and foremost: We use the GC.com site EVERYDAY and so....WE SHOULD PAY FOR IT ! The site is worth paying for don't you think ? It kills me that some cachers think they should use the site for FREE !! What's FREE ?? NOTHING !! Most of these anti PM cachers pay more for their $5 cup of Starbucks coffee.

2: It keeps our caches safe from non-paying regular member pirates who surf the site looking for caches to steal and plunder.

There's a really easy way to do it lemon16 !!! If you have a friend/family member who's a PM.....When your friend logs a PMO cache he simply copies/pastes the URL from the page he types his log on and sends it to you. STICK IT in your address bar and WALAH !! That'll take you right to the PM cache page where you log your find.

That's it. You're good to go.

Problem is: It's human nature (for some people), to take what you can get for free SO GC.com should make it so you can't use the site unless you pay for it and if you choose not to pay for it you don't get the perks. It's that simple. Allowing non-paying members a backdoor option to logging caches owned by those of us who pay only creates a rift, a war.

Either you pay or you don't. Your choice. If you pay you get this, this and this and you get to make your owned caches PMO which means ONLY PM get to log them. If you don't pay you get this but not this and not this AND you DON'T get to log PMO caches. Period.

Pay up or shut up.

I have been informed that there is a backdoor way for basic members to log PMO caches. I have decided to stop wasting my money for a PM account but this means I can't log the PMO caches I just found. Can you explain know how the backdoor method works (if it exists)?

Thanks

I'll answer this question and not because I agree with the whole backdoor method that allows NPM to log PMO caches but to make a point.

We currently own 194 caches. ALL 194 ARE PMO !

Why ? 2 reasons....First and foremost: We use the GC.com site EVERYDAY and so....WE SHOULD PAY FOR IT ! The site is worth paying for don't you think ? It kills me that some cachers think they should use the site for FREE !! What's FREE ?? NOTHING !! Most of these anti PM cachers pay more for their $5 cup of Starbucks coffee.

2: It keeps our caches safe from non-paying regular member pirates who surf the site looking for caches to steal and plunder.

There's a really easy way to do it lemon16 !!! If you have a friend/family member who's a PM.....When your friend logs a PMO cache he simply copies/pastes the URL from the page he types his log on and sends it to you. STICK IT in your address bar and WALAH !! That'll take you right to the PM cache page where you log your find.

That's it. You're good to go.

Problem is: It's human nature (for some people), to take what you can get for free SO GC.com should make it so you can't use the site unless you pay for it and if you choose not to pay for it you don't get the perks. It's that simple. Allowing non-paying members a backdoor option to logging caches owned by those of us who pay only creates a rift, a war.

Either you pay or you don't. Your choice. If you pay you get this, this and this and you get to make your owned caches PMO which means ONLY PM get to log them. If you don't pay you get this but not this and not this AND you DON'T get to log PMO caches. Period.

Pay up or shut up.

what if you downloaded the coordinates before the cache became PMO?

It doesn't matter when or why a cache was made PMO. Non premium members can find them and log them. Those who claim they can't or shouldn't are, unfortunately, misguided. :(

It's rather odd to see people who haven't created the site, say that others must pay to support the site, while the ones that did create the site, don't. :huh:

It doesn't matter when or why a cache was made PMO. Non premium members can find them and log them. Those who claim they can't or shouldn't are, unfortunately, misguided. :(

It's rather odd to see people who haven't created the site, say that others must pay to support the site, while the ones that did create the site, don't. :huh:

After sleeping on it I still have no idea what your comment has to do with mine. Nor do I even understand what your comment is trying to convey. :blink:

After sleeping on it I still have no idea what your comment has to do with mine. Nor do I even understand what your comment is trying to convey. :blink:

𠂇心情刃

𠂇心情刃

I'm sure there is a point somewhere in there, but I seem to be missing it.

I'm guessing the 4wheelin' fool quoted the wrong person?? There was a rather nasty "pay up, or shut up" type comment, even though it's a bumped thread from 2011.

I actually agree with him 100%. I've never seen a company that has so much vigorous support from some of it's paying members, that, as he say's "It's rather odd to see people who haven't created the site, say that others must pay to support the site, while the ones that did create the site, don't."

I mean I'd love to start a company like that myself. Anyone have any ideas for me? :P

I have introduced friends to caching who only cache with me (a premium member) so they don't want to buy one, because then our group finding the same cache at the same time would cost the group $90. I am going to show my buddies this post as an alternative to their own memberships since I already have one! So cool!

Just an additional note to reveal something that I don't think many are aware of, and PMO placers should know, If you do a get geocaches lite search via any API enabled software, you can downlaod up to 10,000 caches a day without a PM account, but only get .LOC standard results. Included in these results are PMO caches actual locations!

Just a note of caution on those figures (I don't have all of oregon in my GSAK database so I can't double check) that the number seems a little on the low side from my experience in southern Oregon & northern CA (State Of Jefferson) Whilst GSAK has a PMO field for the cache, this will only be updated when you refresh it with data via the API, this info doesn't get included with PQs. To ensure you have an accurate figure, run a Geocaching.com access Status Check on the whole database.

My State of Jefferson GSAK database has PMO diamonds shown on around 20% of entries, I'll check the figure later when I've run a status update on it as its not been done for a couple of weeks.

Just a note of caution on those figures (I don't have all of oregon in my GSAK database so I can't double check) that the number seems a little on the low side from my experience in southern Oregon & northern CA (State Of Jefferson) Whilst GSAK has a PMO field for the cache, this will only be updated when you refresh it with data via the API, this info doesn't get included with PQs. To ensure you have an accurate figure, run a Geocaching.com access Status Check on the whole database.

My State of Jefferson GSAK database has PMO diamonds shown on around 20% of entries, I'll check the figure later when I've run a status update on it as its not been done for a couple of weeks.

I seem to think the ratio of PM/non-PM is much higher in the Portland Vancouver area that what is indicated.

Oh thanks! That's an old quote of mine, and I'm quite certain I overestimated the number of MOC's in Oregon. :P I tell you though, last time I looked at Portland proper, it was insane how many there are. I've seen nothing like that anywhere in my main area of operation, the Northeastern U.S. and Ontario.

:laughing:

Good idea.

:ph34r:

Do this quite a lot just to jerk some chains. Have a few that I use solely as a starting place to fire up the map. But then, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't REALLY after ya, does it?? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

>Family fun

EXACTLY !!!

geocaching is supposed to be fun,

I think it will be nice if it is also fun to go and ask about stuff in the forums too,

and get a nice friendly answer.

for me it is perfectly ok some of my friends are not that much active as geocachers,

they dont feel any need for PQ or PM, just to find a few a year makes them happy,

I tried to explain what a PM can do and why it is smart for me, but I am not them, they deside, they pay.

The method was told but there is the chance that the CO checks and sees you are not a PM and might possible delete your log.

Perhaps, but then there is....

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

ya sure that applies to non PMers logging PM caches?

Yes.

This is good to know. I have am a PM, but I have three daughters that also have their own accounts with Basic Memberships. Each time we find a cache that is a PMO, I have to tell them that even though we've signed the logbook, I can't log it for them. They'll be happy to hear that there is a way for me to do it without shelling out an additional $90 a year for PM accounts for them. :anibad:

Wow, this topic took some crazy twists and turns. I understand that there are some ethical reasons why folks wouldn't want to advocate logging PMO caches, but as others have alluded to, it's a family game and having the whole family purchasing premium membership for a family of 4 just isn't economical.

I came to this topic via the "Geocaching with kids..." topic and that's where this method of PMO logging was suggested. Where each family member has their own GC account (head over to that other topic to read about other options) this seems like a manageable way for kids to be involved but without the cost (especially when they're usually doing all their caching with a responsible adult).

So it's less about freeloaders and more about Groundspeak's current business model that doesn't offer an option for families.

BTW, (as the responsible adult in question) I'm not a premium member yet as I have more than enough public caches for me to work through atm. I plan to reward myself/family with PM once we hit a milestone. :smile:

Wow, this topic took some crazy twists and turns. I understand that there are some ethical reasons why folks wouldn't want to advocate logging PMO caches, but as others have alluded to, it's a family game and having the whole family purchasing premium membership for a family of 4 just isn't economical.

I came to this topic via the "Geocaching with kids..." topic and that's where this method of PMO logging was suggested. Where each family member has their own GC account (head over to that other topic to read about other options) this seems like a manageable way for kids to be involved but without the cost (especially when they're usually doing all their caching with a responsible adult).

So it's less about freeloaders and more about Groundspeak's current business model that doesn't offer an option for families.

BTW, (as the responsible adult in question) I'm not a premium member yet as I have more than enough public caches for me to work through atm. I plan to reward myself/family with PM once we hit a milestone. :smile:

Well, hopefully, after reading close to 200 posts in this thread, you have managed to figure out how to log PM only caches?

Wow, this topic took some crazy twists and turns. I understand that there are some ethical reasons why folks wouldn't want to advocate logging PMO caches

What possible "ethical reasons" would there be for a basic member to avoid using a feature intentionally put there for their benefit and log a cache (PMO or otherwise) that they found?

On 1/25/2011 at 7:59 PM, lemon16 said:

Thanks

I was searching for another topic and came across this. I know this is an old thread but I just want to say...I will never go back to basic. $33 a year is not a bad price for the extra features we get with the premium membership. Make cuts in other areas of your annual budget, like eating out one time only, that will pay for the premium.  I feel my cache hides are safer from being vandalized plus most members in my area are premium members. How do I know this?  I have non-premium caches for basic members to find but the majority who find them are premium members! 

On 10/31/2014 at 5:47 PM, baloo&bd said:

What possible "ethical reasons" would there be for a basic member to avoid using a feature intentionally put there for their benefit and log a cache (PMO or otherwise) that they found?

Which brings up my question. Is this unethical....a family member is geocaching with her geocaching.com member relative for the first time but hasn't opened an account yet. She discovered it fascinating so opened an account and then listed the cache as found.  

8 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Which brings up my question. Is this unethical....a family member is geocaching with her geocaching.com member relative for the first time but hasn't opened an account yet. She discovered it fascinating so opened an account and then listed the cache as found.  

Dismiss this question please. A seasoned geocacher answered it for me. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:
3 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Dismiss this question please. A seasoned geocacher answered it for me. Thanks! 

Yeah, nothing "unethical" about it. A lot of us started this way, where experienced geocachers took us on geocaching hikes, and we created our accounts and logged those finds afterwards.

15 hours ago, niraD said:

Yeah, nothing "unethical" about it. A lot of us started this way, where experienced geocachers took us on geocaching hikes, and we created our accounts and logged those finds afterwards.

I wonder if anyone of the powers that be have considered a way for newcomers to "try" geocaching - maybe allow the first 50 or so logs to be on any cache, including PMO, before forcing the paid commitment.

24 minutes ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

I wonder if anyone of the powers that be have considered a way for newcomers to "try" geocaching - maybe allow the first 50 or so logs to be on any cache, including PMO, before forcing the paid commitment.

I don't understand your point. Newcomers can already try geocaching, they can log as many non-PMO caches as they like, and can do it for year after year if they want, and nobody is ever  "forced" into a paid commitment.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
43 minutes ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

Why? aren't there enough non-PM caches to try?

83% of all caches in Belgium are non-PM, that's about 30000 out of 36000. Do you really think it's necessary to be able to go for one of the 6000 PM caches to know if you will like geocaching?

BTW, nobody is forcing anybody.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

Add in that most pmo caches we've seen are no different from others, and I feel that a basic member these days really isn't missing much there.   :)

They miss other cache types though, and higher D/T.   If they use the site instead of the app, they don't even have that restriction.

A basic member (never a pm) can ask HQ for a temp-pm to see what they might be missing out on.

- And we noticed at least one promotion that had basic members become a temp-pm during it.

4 hours ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

And, to beat the horse firmly to death, that counters the whole point behind making a cache PMO! (aside from the 'spite' reason so elegently expressed above.

I think most PMO decisions are made to keep AWAY the people just 'trying out' the hobby, before they've developed any personal investment.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

There are two ways to build future cachers.

Word of mouth, which would involve offering some sort of free "trial" period so people could show their friends without it being a pushy "now pay £25" affair.

Or just appeal to the millions of people with a smartphone, no quality control, and rely on people to sign up if they have the spare cash.

I'm a premium member, but £25 is a lot of money to me as a nurse, carer and two small kids. I know some people say "you cache a lot", which we do, but it doesn't mean £25 isn't pocket change for us. I really struggle to see what exactly I'm paying my £25 for to a company with

$6.1m revenue.

Four staff.

$200k annual IT spend.

So the $5.9m goes on... what?

I probably won't renew my premium membership until someone provides a good answer to that question, other than "it's a natural monopoly, they can charge what they want".

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

I'm sure in part to pay the other 62 employees.  At the moment, Bloomberg shows 66 of them.

Have you checked your other numbers as well?

So what do they do?

In an organisation where 99% of the work is done by volunteer reviewers and COs?

I'll do a list.

1. Develop the app.

2. Pay the server bills.

3. ...

111u.png

20 minutes ago, daddybeth said:

Word of mouth, which would involve offering some sort of free "trial" period so people could show their friends without it being a pushy "now pay £25" affair.

First, you can use Groundspeak's app for free as a trial period. For that matter, you can use Groundspeak's app for free indefinitely. And you can use the geocaching.com web site for free indefinitely.

Second, whenever I introduce new people to geocaching, I don't get them started with using the web site, using the app, creating an account, and all that technical stuff. I tell them how geocaches work, take them on a hike, and let them find geocaches. For the technical side, I either use my own device exclusively, or I hand them a device that has been completely preprogrammed and all they have to do is hit GO and follow the arrow.

53 minutes ago, niraD said:

First, you can use Groundspeak's app for free as a trial period. For that matter, you can use Groundspeak's app for free indefinitely. And you can use the geocaching.com web site for free indefinitely.

Second, whenever I introduce new people to geocaching, I don't get them started with using the web site, using the app, creating an account, and all that technical stuff. I tell them how geocaches work, take them on a hike, and let them find geocaches. For the technical side, I either use my own device exclusively, or I hand them a device that has been completely preprogrammed and all they have to do is hit GO and follow the arrow.

It's not really, with respect, introducing them to GCing though, is it?

It's introducing them to the concept, but not to how they can walk out of their front door and find a GC themselves.

Hence the issue. The people we introduce to GCing are, for want of a better term, the next generation of high quality GCers. But as things stand they are no different to those who (as I initially did) just want to download the app for one afternoon.

Sure, you might convert some of the latter to good GCers, but you should incentise those over any one who can click "Install" for the app on their phone.

1 hour ago, daddybeth said:

There are two ways to build future cachers.

Or just appeal to the millions of people with a smartphone, no quality control, and rely on people to sign up if they have the spare cash.

I'm a premium member, but £25 is a lot of money to me as a nurse, carer and two small kids. I know some people say "you cache a lot", which we do, but it doesn't mean £25 isn't pocket change for us. I really struggle to see what exactly I'm paying my £25 for to a company with

$6.1m revenue.

Four staff.

$200k annual IT spend.

So the $5.9m goes on... what?

I probably won't renew my premium membership until someone provides a good answer to that question, other than "it's a natural monopoly, they can charge what they want".

There's been a "free trial" phone app since apps were a thing.  Caching has been free to basic members long before we started...

When we started (and still true today...) a new, basic  cacher has no limits on D/T if using the site (BTW, that costs some too...).

There's not much more you can hand to someone before you start upsetting those that keep the company running with a PM, placing caches, and buying trackables and such.

Every site we've used that depended on people to "sign up if they had the spare cash" went belly-up.  Apparently wiki has that issue now...

That pm helps most with options to make the hobby easier.  I only use notifications, yet pay the pm just so new folks can play a while for free.

We noticed a few sites with errors like you found, mostly where anyone can add their 2cents worth (wiki anyone?) and call it fact.   

What do you think management, IT, sales & marketing people, and other support staff are worth ?  Lackeys are paid employees.

Then you have building maintenance, servers, property taxes in a city like seattle, and all, and you're in for a few bucks.

I remembered seeing a short paragraph from years ago that said. ".There were about 15 people when I started working in community relations and greeting geocachers at the front desk. Today there are about 80 employees at Geocaching HQ between our main office and our Shop Geocaching warehouse."

- That might be about right, by the looks of the 2018 Lackey geocoin anyway...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4
1 hour ago, daddybeth said:
2 hours ago, niraD said:

It's not really, with respect, introducing them to GCing though, is it?

Sure it is.

Would you introduce someone to calligraphy by taking them to the art store and teaching them all about calligraphy pens, art paper, etc.? No, you'd hand them a felt-tip calligraphy pen and let them try it out.

Would you introduce someone to cooking by taking them to the store to buy all the ingredients, then to another store to buy all the pans and utensils they'll need? No, you'd have all the ingredients, pans, and utensils ready so they could try it out.

Would you introduce someone to backpacking by making them pack for a month on the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Appalachian Trail, or some other long-distance hiking trail? No, you'd take them on an easy weekend trip, hiking a few miles in on Saturday, and then hiking back on Sunday.

If they don't like hiking to GZ and finding a hidden container, then there is no reason for them to learn any of the technology associated with geocaching. Let them try the basics first, without all the technical baggage.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, daddybeth said:

So what do they do?

In an organisation where 99% of the work is done by volunteer reviewers and COs?

I'll do a list.

1. Develop the app.

2. Pay the server bills.

3. ...

Where on earth did those stats come from???  Time for a visit to HQ to see who all of those other people are and who let them into the building ... apart from the 4 you mention.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1