Backdoor way to log PMO caches

lemon16

I have been informed that there is a backdoor way for basic members to log PMO caches. I have decided to stop wasting my money for a PM account but this means I can't log the PMO caches I just found. Can you explain know how the backdoor method works (if it exists)?

Thanks

Surely I must've had a few too many watching the Packers take SB 2011 home and I'm hallucinating !! Does the OP own 40 something hides 38 of which are PMO ????

Another question I have is why did you make all your caches PMO?

I have two kinds of hides: lower-quality hides that I could do without, and higher-quality hides that I'm proud of.

The low-quality hides are PMO because if new cachers' first 10 finds are "average" urban caches, they will think "That's what geocaching is about!" and place more low-quality hides.

I'd like to make my higher-quality hides non-PMO, but unfortunately I have had some problems where the caches were stolen and rude logs posted on the page by sockpuppet accounts. I dislike doing this, but feel that there needs to be some kind of control, even if it is not particularly effective.

I would like to thank the people who posted how to log pmo caches. My wife and I have our own memberships. I have a PM she does not. It just seemed redundent for us to both have one and never even thought about it until we went to a PMO cache. I am sure there are a lot of Premium Members who cache with members who are not Premium. Its a handy thing to know.

Maybe I'm crazy ? I don't think so but maybe, just maybe, I am !

If I pay for something and I'm offered certain perks and/or extras, I expect to get those perks and/or extras. PERIOD. Nothing else matters. Who likes the perks and/or extras I get doesn't matter. Who doesn't like the perks and/or extras I get doesn't matter. Who agrees or disagrees with wether I excercise those perks doesn't matter. If I pay for it. I should get it.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS....If you're promised something in exchange for money, then that's what you should get. Providing a sleazy, "backdoor," for those who choose not to pay, that allows them to suck off those who do pay, is plain and simple, flat out WRONG.

I've never seen a, "backdoor method," that allows NON-PAYING members to take advantage of the PQ perk ! I've never seen a, "backdoor method," that allows NON-PAYING members to take advantage of creating or rating bookmarks ! I haven't seen a, "backdoor method," that allows NON-PAYING members to utilize the new, "Favorites," option !

These and then some are all perks/extras offered to PAYING MEMBERS ! There's no round-a-bout, backdoor, sleazy way to utilize/take advantage of ANY of these perks if YOU DON'T PAY so....WHY is there a, "backdoor method," or sleazy way around logging a PREMIUM/PAYING MEMBER CACHE ???

WHY is that the only PM perk that has a sleazy backdoor ??

Edit: I know editing thoughts are frowned upon so I apologize for my edits. It seems there's always something I forgot to mention. In reference to commments on this subject like the comment just above, with all due respect, I'm perplexed...I haven't checked the profile to see how new/not new the poster is to the game but if you've been in the game as long as we have, you run out of nearby caches and running out of nearby caches means traveling to cache. Traveling to cache means money. Gas money, and at today's gas prices, caching isn't cheap. My point is, if you can afford to cache all day and drive around burning and paying for gas, you can afford to pay for a second PM !

Is paying for a second PM "redundAnt," or is it that you simply don't want to, "pay to use a website ?"

I guarantee, a lot of the cachers who won't pay for a second PM, even $10 for 3 months, wouldn't hesitate to dish out $5 bucks for a cup of Starbucks coffee while they're caching.

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

If I pay for something and I'm offered certain perks and/or extras, I expect to get those perks and/or extras. PERIOD. Nothing else matters. Who likes the perks and/or extras I get doesn't matter. Who doesn't like the perks and/or extras I get doesn't matter. Who agrees or disagrees with wether I excercise those perks doesn't matter. If I pay for it. I should get it.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS....If you're promised something in exchange for money, then that's what you should get. Providing a sleazy, "backdoor," for those who choose not to pay, that allows them to suck off those who do pay, is plain and simple, flat out WRONG.

I've never seen a, "backdoor method," that allows NON-PAYING members to take advantage of the PQ perk ! I've never seen a, "backdoor method," that allows NON-PAYING members to take advantage of creating or rating bookmarks ! I haven't seen a, "backdoor method," that allows NON-PAYING members to utilize the new, "Favorites," option !

These and then some are all perks/extras offered to PAYING MEMBERS ! There's no round-a-bout, backdoor, sleazy way to utilize/take advantage of ANY of these perks if YOU DON'T PAY so....WHY is there a, "backdoor method," or sleazy way around logging a PREMIUM/PAYING MEMBER CACHE ???

Edit: I know editing thoughts are frowned upon so I apologize for my edits. It seems there's always something I forgot to mention. In reference to commments on this subject like the comment just above, with all due respect, I'm perplexed...I haven't checked the profile to see how new/not new the poster is to the game but if you've been in the game as long as we have, you run out of nearby caches and running out of nearby caches means traveling to cache. Traveling to cache means money. Gas money, and at today's gas prices, caching isn't cheap. My point is, if you can afford to cache all day and drive around burning and paying for gas, you can afford to pay for a second PM !

Is paying for a second PM "redundAnt," or is it that you simply don't want to, "pay to use a website ?"

I guarantee, a lot of the cachers who won't pay for a second PM, even $10 for 3 months, wouldn't hesitate to dish out $5 bucks for a cup of Starbucks coffee while they're caching.

Whoa! Now that is a rant!! :o Well, you own 150+ Members only caches, of course. There are very few of you "all my caches are MOC's" types around. I've always found this rather elitist. You certainly seem to confirm (in my opinion) with statements such as "suck off those who do pay" and "sleazy backdoor". There's nothing sleazy about it, it's simple URL manipulation, discovered by accident by users of the website early in the days of the feature, and purposely left open all some 9 years later.

Not everyone is "into" Geocaching like you and me. The median number of finds for a Geocaching.com account is 34 (or at least it was a month or two ago). The vast majority of the accounts at Geocaching.com are non-paying. You really think people just trying out Geocaching should pay the website just to see your 150+ caches? And you really think people should pay for multiple premium memberships in a household? I don't know what else to say, except that I'm going to have to disagree. :)

If I pay for something and I'm offered certain perks and/or extras, I expect to get those perks and/or extras.

<rant removed by rant police>

Think families with young children. Think Jeremy saying geocaching will always be free. Think nice cup of coffee.

Its the elitists vs the communists. :rolleyes:

It seems the label "elitist" gets tossed around for PMO caches, when the entire game is limited completely to players who have to purchase a expensive electronic piece of equipment to begin with. There are other reasons why people make PMOs, and it has nothing to do with elitism. I just made most of mine PMOs, but I will edit the pages, by request, to allow anyone to view them.

I no longer pay for my PM because I dislike the way Groundspeak is regulating geocaching, and do not wish to help them support things that I am against.

That is fine to not support the site that is your choice and I respect that. But then don't log a PM cache as that is not the intent when the CO placed the cache and made it Premium.

Scubasonic

I no longer pay for my PM because I dislike the way Groundspeak is regulating geocaching, and do not wish to help them support things that I am against.

And yet, you have no problem with finding and logging caches that they list, nor with using their forums to ask for help doing so?

That is really a misinterpretation. I have no problems with finding, logging caches or using the forums. My thought is that they need to do something before popularity kills the game. I know, "Groundspeak is a listing service", but they need to be more selective about what they list.

That is fine to not support the site that is your choice and I respect that. But then don't log a PM cache as that is not the intent when the CO placed the cache and made it Premium.

Scubasonic

I found some PMO caches before my membership expired, and didn't have a chance to log them until it had. Do not jump to conclusions and assume that my intent is to abuse GC.com's features.

But then don't log a PM cache as that is not the intent when the CO placed the cache and made it Premium.

Scubasonic

I found some PMO caches before my membership expired, and didn't have a chance to log them until it had. Do not jump to conclusions and assume that my intent is to abuse GC.com's features.

He is also jumping to the conclusion to believe that all PMs do not want regular members to log their caches.

A found log is a form of communication. If someone finds it, they should communicate it.

Scubasonic

So you when you make your caches premium, your "intent" is for non-members to not be able to log them? The "back door" (some would say sleazy back door) has been open since 2002, and intentionally to boot. In all the theads about MOC's in the last 8 years that I've seen, you're the first two I've seen arguing for non-members to not be able to log them. Unless I missed it somewhere along the line.

And yet, you have no problem with finding and logging caches that they list, nor with using their forums to ask for help doing so?

That is really a misinterpretation. I have no problems with finding, logging caches or using the forums. My thought is that they need to do something before popularity kills the game. I know, "Groundspeak is a listing service", but they need to be more selective about what they list.

Scubasonic

All I can say is that you have a pretty unusual concept of boycotting.

A newbie's perspective:

Though I initially joined this site in 2007, I never had a GPS until just last month, and had forgotten about the site for a while. I have ordered and received the hide-a-cache starter pack from the Groundspeak store, and as soon as the weather warms up (so that I can actually go out caching and not just sit here talking about it) I intend to use my trial premium membership that came with it. Then I will pay for a year. I have no problem with it because $30 for a year is a very reasonable price for a hobby. In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest.

Though I do feel bad, having logged 1 cache and 1 DNF, that there are some members here who might look down on me for "sucking off other people who do pay." (I understand it would only be a minority of people, but still, I'm a leech because I use the free features of a site that is freely available and the founder of the site wants to keep it that way?) Though I have no friends with a Premium account and thus, no way to see the location of PMOs, I also don't like that a PMO owner would delete the logs of a non-premium member. What if I pay for say, 3 years, and log a few PMOs in that time. Then I decide I'm no longer interested in geocaching so I stop paying. Would the cache owners go back and delete my logs just because I'm no longer paying? :( That seems a little unreasonable, so I hope most PMOs would not delete basic members' logs, since the founder of the site intends for the "back door" to stay open.

A newbie's perspective:

Though I initially joined this site in 2007, I never had a GPS until just last month, and had forgotten about the site for a while. I have ordered and received the hide-a-cache starter pack from the Groundspeak store, and as soon as the weather warms up (so that I can actually go out caching and not just sit here talking about it) I intend to use my trial premium membership that came with it. Then I will pay for a year. I have no problem with it because $30 for a year is a very reasonable price for a hobby. In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest.

Though I do feel bad, having logged 1 cache and 1 DNF, that there are some members here who might look down on me for "sucking off other people who do pay." (I understand it would only be a minority of people, but still, I'm a leech because I use the free features of a site that is freely available and the founder of the site wants to keep it that way?) Though I have no friends with a Premium account and thus, no way to see the location of PMOs, I also don't like that a PMO owner would delete the logs of a non-premium member. What if I pay for say, 3 years, and log a few PMOs in that time. Then I decide I'm no longer interested in geocaching so I stop paying. Would the cache owners go back and delete my logs just because I'm no longer paying? :( That seems a little unreasonable, so I hope most PMOs would not delete basic members' logs, since the founder of the site intends for the "back door" to stay open.

You seem like an honest cacher to me. In fact the only issue I have is why wait for warm weather? Even if I DNF a cache there is always a sense of accomplishment in at least trying to traverse a snowy or muddy trail. Even with limitations and I likely won't make it, there's always pride in making the effort. Or at least, having fun.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Since Jeremy has stated that his intent is that Geocaching always be free, you are sort of supporting the experiment. While walking with your dollars is definitely a statement, albeit an ineffective one in this case, walking with your feet (i.e. not using the site) would be more effective.

The "intent" of the CO is not a consideration and inconsequential in this case, as a non-PM logging PM caches is not only permitted but encouraged and well within the guidelines. As pointed out in a earlier post, if someone made a cache a MoC thinking that it could/should not be logged by anyone but PM's, they had a basic misunderstanding of the "feature" and intent. It is odd in all these posts no one is complaining when non-PM's find a cache, only the logging part.

While it is apparent that some consider geocaching to be a lone wolf type activity, the majority of cachers consider this a social activity. As such they cache with friends and family who may rarely if ever cache again, choose not to be a premium member or may only cache when with their PM friend/family member.

Whatever their reason, people simply need to accept that MoC's don't keep a cache from being found/logged by non-PM, do not offer any additional security and are rarely if ever anything special. CACHES ARE MADE TO BE FOUND!

I use the backdoor a lot! I paid my PM and pay it every year. I use the backdoor for 7 reasons. 1 my daughter in-law 2-3 my daughters 4-7 my grandkids. I look at all the cache pages I find where we go and the kids love the hunt. I feel I can take my kids and use the backdoor to log any PMO cache we find. Thank God Geocaching is not all about the money. Geocaching/Groundspeak know it is there and they don't care why do some people think they need to change the rules? This works and if it's not broken don't fix it.

But your post shows you to be a Premium Member. Why is that?

You could call that a glitch in the system. I've lost my Premium membership twice over the years due to whacky pay-pal screw-ups. I've been paying by the month (for no particular reason, I could save $6 by paying per year) since February 2004, so I ain't sucking off other people who pay. :lol:

Sorry, had to get that one in there. ANYWAYS, both times I was a temporary non-premium member, it still showed premium member here in the forums. It's definitely not something that is updated immediately. Who knows how often.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Way too many of you have way too much time on your hands. A question was asked, it was answered - yet the pile on of poo continues. Such it is with the compulsive types.

If anyone has too much time on his hands, it's the sort of person who comments on a post to complain about the mere fact that other people are commenting on the post. If time is so precious and the post is such a "pile of poo," why are you even looking at it in first place?

Talk about projecting...

Wow and thanks for correcting my spelling. My wife and I very often stop and grab a cup of coffee while caching but there has never been anyone who asked me to pay again if we shared the cup.

Way too many of you have way too much time on your hands. A question was asked, it was answered - yet the pile on of poo continues. Such it is with the compulsive types.

If anyone has too much time on his hands, it's the sort of person who comments on a post to complain about the mere fact that other people are commenting on the post. If time is so precious and the post is such a "pile of poo," why are you even looking at it in first place?

Talk about projecting...

Yeah, he better hope Ashnikes hacked his account or something, because he ain't my pal anymore. :ph34r:

It's a glitch in the forums.

If you check my geocaching profile, you'll see that I'm not really a Premium Member...

I just play one on television in the forums. :D

Not that I think the OP has done it for this reason, but in addition to what's been mentioned, it's possible that some people make all their caches PMO solely so they can see who's visited the cache pages (via the 'Audit log'). I've heard that that 'feature' could possibly be used to stalk and/or harass people who have looked at them. One way around that is to have a bookmark list made of those caches so they can be downloaded in a PQ. ;)

If you check my geocaching profile, you'll see that I'm not really a Premium Member...

Why does your post say Ringbone Pup Patrol? :rolleyes:

Although there is a glitch that allows Premium members to stay Premium members in the forums, his regular profile also says "Premium". Perhaps he was gifted a membership to fix his issue.

If contacting the above does not work, you may wish to use the 3 month option if you have to renew. If GS would allow a 3 month $10 gift membership, I would gift you a membership just to get rid of the PMO status of your caches. But GS only has the option for a 1 year gift membership. I hope that all works out well for you.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Why does your post say Ringbone Pup Patrol? :rolleyes:

:lol:.

Edited by Pup Patrol

In fact the only issue I have is why wait for warm weather?

Apologies for being a bit off-topic but I have a disease called Raynaud's Syndrome. In essence, if I get cold my body thinks I'm freezing to death and cuts off the circulation to my fingers and toes. This is normal for someone having hypothermia - the body does it to try to keep warmer blood in the torso and thus, vital organs - but in my case it is an overreaction. Just the few degrees' change of temperature in getting undressed for a shower can trigger it, and sometimes, like when I'm scraping my car windows, it can hurt too, like frostbite. You might say it's like an allergy to cold. In any case, it's not wise for me to spend much time out in the cold.

I cached for a year as a regular member before I became a Premium member. I have 2 young kids that share a basic membership, they don't use any PQ's or any other premium perks but when they climb up the pole they want to log the find. Oops, mommy shouldn't have brought you, it's PM only???? :shocked: When I am mapping our route, I don't pay attention to PMO's, just the terrain and difficulty. Just found this topic but haven't found the "sleazy" backdoor so my kids can log their finds.

I cached for a year as a regular member before I became a Premium member. I have 2 young kids that share a basic membership, they don't use any PQ's or any other premium perks but when they climb up the pole they want to log the find. Oops, mommy shouldn't have brought you, it's PM only???? :shocked: When I am mapping our route, I don't pay attention to PMO's, just the terrain and difficulty. Just found this topic but haven't found the "sleazy" backdoor so my kids can log their finds.

See my signature to become more sleazy. Better yet, leave your kids home until they can get a job and stop all this stealing. :D

The easiest is http://www.geocachingadmin.com/. Put the GC code in the first box and click the log button.

They already are. That's why there is a set of Guidelines.

I am not a gotta cache'em all kind of cacher. I pick and choose. Nobody says you have to find every cache. One of the benefits of being a premium member is the ignore list, which I use judiciously. Rock wall? Ignore it. Private property? Ignore it. Don't care for the puzzle? Ignore it. Those are just some of the reasons that I will ignore a cache.

Not that I think the OP has done it for this reason, but in addition to what's been mentioned, it's possible that some people make all their caches PMO solely so they can see who's visited the cache pages (via the 'Audit log'). I've heard that that 'feature' could possibly be used to stalk and/or harass people who have looked at them. One way around that is to have a bookmark list made of those caches so they can be downloaded in a PQ. ;)

The audit log on MOC's will soon be history, according to this Feedback forum idea, and the comment by OpinioNate. I for one will be doing a happy dance the day that is eliminated. :lol:

I dunno, the fact that there are at least two people out there who make all their caches MOC's, and don't think non-members should be able to log them, and people should buy multiple premium memberships per household, is reason enough to eliminate Member Only Caches completely. Should I start a feedback thread? :ph34r:

The audit log on MOC's will soon be history, according to this Feedback forum

No - that feedback topic does NOT say audit logs will soon be history - it says the idea's been prioritised in GC's system, not even that it'll be implemented.

Personally, I hope it stays. It does nobody any harm, and it's FUN (remember when that used to apply to all caches???)

If people don't like it, they're perfectly free to not use it!

The audit log on MOC's will soon be history, according to this Feedback forum

No - that feedback topic does NOT say audit logs will soon be history - it says the idea's been prioritised in GC's system, not even that it'll be implemented.

Personally, I hope it stays. It does nobody any harm, and it's FUN (remember when that used to apply to all caches???)

If people don't like it, they're perfectly free to not use it!

It is true that "will soon be history" are my words. I won't take us off-topic though, I despise it, you like it. I still hope to one day be doing my happy dance. :anibad:

Talk about projecting...

blah blah blah! 8-)

Talk about projecting...

Yeah, he better hope Ashnikes hacked his account or something, because he ain't my pal anymore. :ph34r:

Oh boy, no more pal with Mr Yuck, what am I gonna do? hahaha I am so like sorry for speaking my mind! Naughty boy me..... Hey, come on I was having a bad day as I said on twitter. Have some mercy on me PLEAZE!

I have been informed that there is a backdoor way for basic members to log PMO caches. I have decided to stop wasting my money for a PM account but this means I can't log the PMO caches I just found. Can you explain know how the backdoor method works (if it exists)?

Thanks

I'll answer this question and not because I agree with the whole backdoor method that allows NPM to log PMO caches but to make a point.

We currently own 194 caches. ALL 194 ARE PMO !

Why ? 2 reasons....First and foremost: We use the GC.com site EVERYDAY and so....WE SHOULD PAY FOR IT ! The site is worth paying for don't you think ? It kills me that some cachers think they should use the site for FREE !! What's FREE ?? NOTHING !! Most of these anti PM cachers pay more for their $5 cup of Starbucks coffee.

2: It keeps our caches safe from non-paying regular member pirates who surf the site looking for caches to steal and plunder.

There's a really easy way to do it lemon16 !!! If you have a friend/family member who's a PM.....When your friend logs a PMO cache he simply copies/pastes the URL from the page he types his log on and sends it to you. STICK IT in your address bar and WALAH !! That'll take you right to the PM cache page where you log your find.

That's it. You're good to go.

Problem is: It's human nature (for some people), to take what you can get for free SO GC.com should make it so you can't use the site unless you pay for it and if you choose not to pay for it you don't get the perks. It's that simple. Allowing non-paying members a backdoor option to logging caches owned by those of us who pay only creates a rift, a war.

Either you pay or you don't. Your choice. If you pay you get this, this and this and you get to make your owned caches PMO which means ONLY PM get to log them. If you don't pay you get this but not this and not this AND you DON'T get to log PMO caches. Period.

Pay up or shut up.

I'm a PM and so is my daughter, we cache with her kids who are 10 and 11 years old, they have their own caching names, are not PM and haven't been able to log the PMO finds along with us even though they have found and signed their names in the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCxxxxx

Just put in the correct GC code. Choose the log option.

This isn't a super secret work around or anything.

There are a few workarounds but this one I think is the easiest.

More detailed instructions:

step one: Log into the site as you (or someone with a PM) note the GC codes for the caches. Write them down some place handy.

Step two: Log into the main site as the person without a PM.

Step Three: Click on the link I provided- or right click it and open in a new tab.

Step Four: Change the xxxxx at the end to match the GC code.

Step Five: Log the find.

I just tried that out with my mothers account and it worked for me.

I'm a PM and so is my daughter, we cache with her kids who are 10 and 11 years old, they have their own caching names, are not PM and haven't been able to log the PMO finds along with us even though they have found and signed their names in the cache.

Get those kids to log those caches! The meathod is explained in here and other threads.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but on the Trimble application, using a Blackberry phone, you can find PMO caches without being a PM..

We found a PMO while still just basic members when we started. We couldn't log it, though. Well, I suppose we *could* have if we logged from the application, but we've always logged everything on the website.

That's why none of our caches are PMO..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCxxxxx

Just put in the correct GC code. Choose the log option.

This isn't a super secret work around or anything.

There are a few workarounds but this one I think is the easiest.

More detailed instructions for non-PM members:

step one: Log into the site as you (or someone with a PM) note the GC codes for the caches. Write them down some place handy.

Step two: Log into the main site as the person without a PM.

Step Three: Click on the link I provided- or right click it and open in a new tab.

Step Four: Change the xxxxx at the end to match the GC code.

Step Five: Log the find.

I just tried that out with my mothers account and it worked for me.

Abbreviated instructions for non-PM members:

1. Go to http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

2. In box that says GC code type in the GC code of the PMO cache.

3. Click the button labeled Log.

4. Log the cache.

5. repeat as necessary.

Edited by jholly

I started geocaching last year and I couldn't be happier. My husband and 2 children geocache also and it is the cheapest hobby that I have found out there. I pay $30 for the year for a premium membership + $10 Droid App so I can cache on the go. $40 equals 4 movie theater tickets or 1 family dinner at a family restaurant. This is a family activity that we can do together and the only other thing that we pay for is gas (which is kind of expensive) but it's still cheaper than a lot of other activities. Our family is so glad that we got into geocaching and I can't understand all of the complaining for an inexpensive way to spend time with a loved one, friend or by ourselves. BTW, it's also great exercise!!! :)

OK..I just skimmed this topic..

Have anyone paid to play golf at at a club? That will be far more than a PM on GC-ing dot com. That is one reason I don't golf, although I live in a golf development.

I say...pay the PM..pay for the geocaching app... YOU got to pay to PLAY! Pay for GAS too...

OLD saying... gas, grass, or a**....

Edited by alohabra

That's really unfair. Hopefully you will share the methods described in this topic with them so they can finally log the caches they've found :)

I look at it this way: geocaching.com is a cache listing service, which also tracks a cacher's finds. You can choose to restrict the virtual information that you list to certain members, but you can't restrict who can actually travel to the cache and find it. The information you list is only a method of guiding finders to the cache. Anyone can log the cache as found, because anyone can find the cache.

OK..I just skimmed this topic..

Have anyone paid to play golf at at a club? That will be far more than a PM on GC-ing dot com. That is one reason I don't golf, although I live in a golf development.

I say...pay the PM..pay for the geocaching app... YOU got to pay to PLAY! Pay for GAS too...

OLD saying... gas, grass, or a**....

If the golf course said that to use the club house locker room you to pay for your round of golf. you could show up dressed and ready to play with no problem.

Logging of PMO caches by Basic Members is an intentional feature GS has included to allow some of the examples given and many more. Nothing wrong, dishonest or sneaky about it. Caches are made to be found.

Hey Touchstone and Wastro, you are correct. Just e-mailed our local review (guess it pays to know he is online now) and he said GS will stick with the basic member as long as the physical logbook was signed.

This is not the first time that this subject has been brought up in a thread in these forums. If the basic member signs the log, the find counts. The loop hole was left open for familys that cache with their children, or so I recall in the last thread on this subject. Maybe it was in the first feedback site? Yes, I think that is where this was brought up before.

Thanks...this is what I was looking for b/c I have a son who occasionally geocaches with me and has a basic account and I wasn't sure if I needed to avoid my Premium Cache listing. Family fun :)

Thanks

I'll answer this question and not because I agree with the whole backdoor method that allows NPM to log PMO caches but to make a point.

We currently own 194 caches. ALL 194 ARE PMO !

Why ? 2 reasons....First and foremost: We use the GC.com site EVERYDAY and so....WE SHOULD PAY FOR IT ! The site is worth paying for don't you think ? It kills me that some cachers think they should use the site for FREE !! What's FREE ?? NOTHING !! Most of these anti PM cachers pay more for their $5 cup of Starbucks coffee.

2: It keeps our caches safe from non-paying regular member pirates who surf the site looking for caches to steal and plunder.

There's a really easy way to do it lemon16 !!! If you have a friend/family member who's a PM.....When your friend logs a PMO cache he simply copies/pastes the URL from the page he types his log on and sends it to you. STICK IT in your address bar and WALAH !! That'll take you right to the PM cache page where you log your find.

That's it. You're good to go.

Problem is: It's human nature (for some people), to take what you can get for free SO GC.com should make it so you can't use the site unless you pay for it and if you choose not to pay for it you don't get the perks. It's that simple. Allowing non-paying members a backdoor option to logging caches owned by those of us who pay only creates a rift, a war.

Either you pay or you don't. Your choice. If you pay you get this, this and this and you get to make your owned caches PMO which means ONLY PM get to log them. If you don't pay you get this but not this and not this AND you DON'T get to log PMO caches. Period.

Pay up or shut up.

Seems like Groundspeak doesn't agree.

I can see leaving it open for families to use, but that's it. If I had a family of 4 or more and we all cached together, I wouldn't want to pay for PM for all of us. I don't agree with using the backdoor, just because you don't want to spend the money to support your hobby.

+1