Backdoor way to log PMO caches

lemon16

I have been informed that there is a backdoor way for basic members to log PMO caches. I have decided to stop wasting my money for a PM account but this means I can't log the PMO caches I just found. Can you explain know how the backdoor method works (if it exists)?

Thanks

I have been informed that there is a backdoor way for basic members to log PMO caches. I have decided to stop wasting my money for a PM account but this means I can't log the PMO caches I just found. Can you explain know how the backdoor method works (if it exists)?

Thanks

I have the notes here somewhere but I really don't feel like wasting my time looking for them. Guess you should have done that logging before you stopped wasting your money. :) Maybe if you do a bit of searching you can find the answer.

NOTE: That will help you log the cache, but without the premium membership you will have no way to know where the cache is in the first place. Only place it is helpful is if a premium member bring out new cachers and after you get home realize you brought them to a premium cache. I've used it once or twice but there is no way it replaces a premium membership.

I am also curious why you consider the premium membership a waste of money, I can't imagine myself doing serious caching without it.

Thanks

I know but I'm not telling since I do not like freeloaders

SS

As a poor graduate student without a premium membership, I can sympathize. What if the OP just recently lost his / her job? What if they just realized they had to pay child support? What if his / her spouce just passed away, and to support him / herself alone, sacrifices must be made?

I am daily saddened by the insensitivity on these forums... I think we would all do well to consider that people could have situations that we could never even imagine. So let's just provide the information without insensitive raves about not supporting the hobby. I don't support it either. But according to the rules, that doesn't mean I can't participate.

As a poor graduate student without a premium membership, I can sympathize. What if the OP just recently lost his / her job? What if they just realized they had to pay child support? What if his / her spouce just passed away, and to support him / herself alone, sacrifices must be made?

I am daily saddened by the insensitivity on these forums... I think we would all do well to consider that people could have situations that we could never even imagine. So let's just provide the information without insensitive raves about not supporting the hobby. I don't support it either. But according to the rules, that doesn't mean I can't participate.

I would suggest the answer to your questions is in the framing of the original post. "Stop wasting my money" says nothing other than the OP believes the cost of a PM is a waste of money. Your examples, if stated, would very likely elicit a much more positive response.

Sigh. So much angst.

Once I went to a restaurant, and after I finished eating, the waitress brought me my check on a little tray. Being an observant person, I saw that beside my check for $32.45 (before tax and tip) sat a funny looking cookie. The cookie was in the middle of the tray, below my check, and just above the American Express logo. It was then that I noticed that there was a little piece of paper inside the cookie. I broke open the cookie, and looked closely at the paper, and I saw that there were some words printed on it.

The lights were dim (mostly just the candle the table), so I put on my reading glasses, and held the little paper near the candle, and read the words on the paper. And I'll never forget this: the words said "Your lucky number is 8139!". That didn't make any sense to me, so I turned the paper over, and read the words on the other side.

The words read "May you live in angsty times."

Or maybe it said "interesting", not "angsty".

Whatever. I guess either one applies.

The method was told but there is the chance that the CO checks and sees you are not a PM and might possible delete your log.

Perhaps, but then there is....

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

ya sure that applies to non PMers logging PM caches?

Edited by IBcrashen

The method was told but there is the chance that the CO checks and sees you are not a PM and might possible delete your log.

Sorry but I must have missed that section of the Guidelines. Can you show me where it makes that distinction?

I no longer pay for my PM because I dislike the way Groundspeak is regulating geocaching, and do not wish to help them support things that I am against.

If you are against things like members only caches, perhaps not logging them would make a better statement than logging them which implies your support for members only caches.

wasnt telling, was asking, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence.

Sorry but I must have missed that section of the Guidelines. Can you show me where it makes that distinction?

wasnt telling, was asking, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence.

Edited by IBcrashen

Yes.

I no longer pay for my PM because I dislike the way Groundspeak is regulating geocaching, and do not wish to help them support things that I am against.

If you are against things like members only caches, perhaps not logging them would make a better statement than logging them which implies your support for members only caches.

It may also help to change all of your own caches to non PMO.

I am sorry the way that some of the others users are so disrespectful to you. This should not be allowed to any member, PM or basic. I just am no longer interested in geocaching very much, we do not seek PMO hides anymore and I have little or no use to renew my PM. When we did seek PMO caches with the kids, I would use my account to find the listings coordinates. When I would log my find, I would log out and let my son log in on that cache page to post his find. What better of a way to teach a beginner of how to log caches? It is a known open loop hole for familys that cache with their children, and a darn good way to keep an eye on a noobie until they learn how to properly log caches and trackables.

Hey Touchstone and Wastro, you are correct. Just e-mailed our local review (guess it pays to know he is online now) and he said GS will stick with the basic member as long as the physical logbook was signed.

This is not the first time that this subject has been brought up in a thread in these forums. If the basic member signs the log, the find counts. The loop hole was left open for familys that cache with their children, or so I recall in the last thread on this subject. Maybe it was in the first feedback site? Yes, I think that is where this was brought up before.

So, your taking a stand against Groundspeak tyranny, by not giving them your money, but continuing to use their services? Isn't that sort of like protesting for animal rights, while wearing a mink coat that you didn't pay for? <_<:rolleyes:

Thanks

I'll answer this question and not because I agree with the whole backdoor method that allows NPM to log PMO caches but to make a point.

We currently own 194 caches. ALL 194 ARE PMO !

Why ? 2 reasons....First and foremost: We use the GC.com site EVERYDAY and so....WE SHOULD PAY FOR IT ! The site is worth paying for don't you think ? It kills me that some cachers think they should use the site for FREE !! What's FREE ?? NOTHING !! Most of these anti PM cachers pay more for their $5 cup of Starbucks coffee.

2: It keeps our caches safe from non-paying regular member pirates who surf the site looking for caches to steal and plunder.

There's a really easy way to do it lemon16 !!! If you have a friend/family member who's a PM.....When your friend logs a PMO cache he simply copies/pastes the URL from the page he types his log on and sends it to you. STICK IT in your address bar and WALAH !! That'll take you right to the PM cache page where you log your find.

That's it. You're good to go.

Problem is: It's human nature (for some people), to take what you can get for free SO GC.com should make it so you can't use the site unless you pay for it and if you choose not to pay for it you don't get the perks. It's that simple. Allowing non-paying members a backdoor option to logging caches owned by those of us who pay only creates a rift, a war.

Either you pay or you don't. Your choice. If you pay you get this, this and this and you get to make your owned caches PMO which means ONLY PM get to log them. If you don't pay you get this but not this and not this AND you DON'T get to log PMO caches. Period.

Pay up or shut up.

Thanks

I'll answer this question and not because I agree with the whole backdoor method that allows NPM to log PMO caches but to make a point.

Why ? 2 reasons....First and foremost: We use the GC.com site EVERYDAY and so....WE SHOULD PAY FOR IT ! The site is worth paying for don't you think ? It kills me that some cachers think they should use the site for FREE !! What's FREE ?? NOTHING !! Most of these anti PM cachers pay more for their $5 cup of Starbucks coffee.

2: It keeps our caches safe from non-paying regular member pirates who surf the site looking for caches to steal and plunder.

There's a really easy way to do it lemon16 !!! If you have a friend/family member who's a PM.....When your friend logs a PMO cache he simply copies/pastes the URL from the page he types his log on and sends it to you. STICK IT in your address bar and WALAH !! That'll take you right to the PM cache page where you log your find.

Problem is: It's human nature (for some people), to take what you can get for free SO GC.com should make it so you can't use the site unless you pay for it and if you choose not to pay for it you don't get the perks. It's that simple. Allowing non-paying members a backdoor option to logging caches owned by those of us who pay only creates a rift, a war.

Either you pay or you don't. Your choice. If you pay you get this, this and this and you get to make your owned caches PMO which means ONLY PM get to log them. If you don't pay you get this but not this and not this AND you DON'T get to log PMO caches. Period.

Pay up or shut up.

Seems like Groundspeak doesn't agree.

Thanks

Pay up or shut up.

Seems like Groundspeak doesn't agree.

I can see leaving it open for families to use, but that's it. If I had a family of 4 or more and we all cached together, I wouldn't want to pay for PM for all of us. I don't agree with using the backdoor, just because you don't want to spend the money to support your hobby.

See my signature for other methods and discussions on the subject.

GS has maintained it's position that the "backdoor" will remain and Jeremy's longstanding position is the GC will always remain free. The reality is that MoCs are there simply to offer a false sense of security to the CO.

Bottom line: Caches are mode to be found.

Edited by baloo&bd

I was going to let my membership lapse this year too. If you don't use pqs there's really not much benefit. I figure I'll keep it for favorites and stats now but I will have a harder time justifying it as time goes on. For many the cost benefit ratio just doesn't work out.

This cannot happen!

We'd miss the pear far too much in OT!

The OP never stated that he was against PMO caches.

It may also help to change all of your own caches to non PMO.
Oh snap! Those cache pages are going to be tough to maintain now that you can't see them :blink:
I have little doubt that a reviewer or TPTB would be happy to change those caches from PMO if asked.

So, your taking a stand against Groundspeak tyranny, by not giving them your money, but continuing to use their services? Isn't that sort of like protesting for animal rights, while wearing a mink coat that you didn't pay for? <_<:rolleyes:
TPTB have long taken the stance that there are many ways to support the game and the site beyond paying for a membership. The OP owns caches for instance. Also, he hasn't been overly rude in the forums, unlike many others in this thread.

I don't know. There seems like there should be more to this story. What is it that was too much for you?

Anyway, seems like a simple thing. If you don't want to pay for premium services then don't use them.

Other than the fact that his owned caches are apparently still PMO, I see no evidence that the OP is using any premium services.

Another question I have is why did you make all your caches PMO?
Does it matter? Premium members have the ability to create PMO caches for whatever reasons they choose. Edited by sbell111

According to Jeremy, GC.com is free to use and will remain so.

Voila. I correct you not to make you seem stupid, but to help you avoid other people making that assumption in the future.

According to TPTB, the ability to forbid regular members from logging PMO caches is not a perk of premium membership. If some PMO owners wish to go to war over their misunderstanding of premium member benefits, that's their prerogative, but it doesn't put them on the right side of the fight.

Pay up or shut up.

The bolded bits are just flat incorrect. Period.

No, but at least at the moment, it appears he's saying, "I only want people who pay for a site that I refuse to pay for to find my caches." I've never before seen a boycott that encourages patronage of its target.

If the OP is now locked out of pre-existing PMO caches, that's different. Recent logs by non-PMs on suggest that's not the case, though.

No, but at least at the moment, it appears he's saying, "I only want people who pay for a site that I refuse to pay for to find my caches." I've never before seen a boycott that encourages patronage of its target.

If the OP is now locked out of pre-existing PMO caches, that's different. Recent logs by non-PMs on suggest that's not the case, though.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

The OP allowed his PM status to lapse. He neglected to change his caches from PMO to non-PMO prior to this lapse. Non-PMs cannot pull up PMO cache pages, even if the caches are owned by non-PMs. (I just verified this using my daughter's non-PM account.) It is reasonable to assume that the OP can no longer view these pages, even though he's the cache owner. He should contact TPTB or a reviewer to get this issue corrected. Of course, a perfect solution would be for PMO caches to automatically revert to non-PMO if the owner allows his membership to lapse, but that's fodder for the feedback forum.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

The OP allowed his PM status to lapse. He neglected to change his caches from PMO to non-PMO prior to this lapse.

What I'm saying is that I question whether the second sentence is true. Many newbie non-PMs have logged some of his now-PM-caches recently, which suggests they weren't PMO caches recently. Admittedly, it doesn't make sense, but neither does using a site whose policies you wish to boycott.

But I'm sorry for dabbling in the cache detective game. My main point in posting is that while I never begrudge non-PMs their use of the site, I do find it classless to call the paid benefits a waste of money while simultaneously trying to use them.