Garmin orgon 450 not recognized

aintnorock

See this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=267656

While connecting and disconnecting my Garmin and trying to get all the maps to load, I must have disconnected it at the wrong time in the wrong place, because now my computer won't recognize that it is even connected. The Garmin screen shows that it is connected, but it is not showing up in Windows Explorer, and I'm not even getting the screen that says to open it to view files.

I've rebooted my machine, I've reloaded Garmin drivers, and I can't get Mapsource or the Garmin interface (for downloading waypoints from geocaching.com) to work. I'm at my wits end. The GPSr is useless if it won't talk to my computer.

Help!

Carl

Try :

1. A different USB port on your computer

2. A different USB cable

3. Connect it, and leave it for 5 minutes or so

4. A different computer

If all else fails, try a master reset on the 450. Do this only as a last resort.

I've had days when my 300 connects immediately, and others when it takes 2 minutes for the computer to finally go "oh, you're there".

This happens to me every now and then, even though I never did anything funny with the Oregon. It's just one of its bugs. Keep trying and it should eventually start hooking up again after disconnecting and reconnecting it a few times (also power off and on the Oregon every time, occasionally you need to pull the batteries for that to work). Wait a few minutes before connecting it up, as sometimes it takes a while for it to start talking to the PC. It can also make a difference whether you connect the Oregon while it's powered off and wait for it to power on, vs. connect it when it's already powered on.

If everything fails, you can force it into USB mass storage mode upon boot. The Oregon wiki tells you how. A master reset is usually not necessary.

Edited by dfx

Click on Start, Run and enter "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and run that program. (win 7 - Click on the start button and enter the same thing in Search Files.) This will start a disk management program. From the Action menu at the top, select "Rescan Disks". Take a look in the list down below and see if the Garmin is recognized. If so, you'll see the drive letter it is assigned. Close out Disk Management and go back to what you were doing.

Edited by New Jersey TJ