Rocks @ Robin's

Team_vdlo

Hi all,

I was very fortunate to meet Emeritus Professor Carl Anhaeusser from Wits School of Geology yesterday on home soul at the Robin's Koppie in Robindale, Randburg .

He started to explain to me about the different layers of rock formation on the Robin’s Koppie and that we standing on some of the oldest rocks in Africa.

He also told me that we standing between the Witwatersrand super group and Transvaal super group. (Have read about those before in some of the earth caches in JHB.....)

He also told me about all the research that he has done in Johannesburg as well as Barberton surroundings and all the books he has been part of. He was already on this Koppie before I was born..

For someone like me that knows very little about Geology /Rocks it was just wow chatting to Prof Carl for a couple of minutes.....

You now properly wonder why I started a forum on this....Well Prof Carl agree to meet us one Saturday and give us a full guide tour (explanation with demonstration) of the Koppie and surroundings (time permitted)

I am planning to setup an event for one of the following dates 2, 9, 16 in April 2011 but would like to get a feel of how many people would be interested and which date you prefer?

I will also try to book the Lapa at the school opposite the Koppie where we can Braai and chat. (Those that are not interested in the “tour” can start the fires...)

I know it is still a couple of months away but please can you reply to this forum your interest as well as your preferred date ASAP as I would like to confirm/fix the date in the next two week..

Who knows, maybe we can setup an earth cache on the koppie as well...

Greeting

Team_vdlo

P.S Below is a list of Selected References:

• Anhaeusser, C.R. (1984).Structural elements of Archaean granite-greenstone terranes as exemplified by the Barberton Mountain Land, southern Africa. In: Kroner,A. and Greiling,R. (Eds.), Precambrian Tectonics Illustrated, E.Schweizerbart'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart, 57-78.
  • Anhaeusser, C.R. (1985). Archaean layered ultramafic complexes in the Barberton Mountain Land, South Africa. In: Ayres, L.D., Thurston, P.C., Card, K.D. and Weber, W. (Eds.), Evolution of Archaean Supracrustal Sequences. Geol. Assoc. Canada Spec. Paper 28,281-301
  • Anhaeusser, C.R. (1986). Archaean gold mineralization in the Barberton Mountain Land. In: Anhaeusser,C.R. and Maske,S.(Eds.),Mineral Deposits of Southern Africa, Vol. I. Geol. Soc.South Africa,113-154
  • Kisters, A.F.M., Charlesworth, E.G., Gibson, R.L. & Anhaeusser, C.R . (1995). Steep structure formation in the Okiep Copper District, South Africa: bulk inhomogeneous shortening of a high-grade metamorphic granite-gneiss sequence. J Struct Geol, 18(6), 735-751.
  • Kisters, A.F.M., Charlesworth, E.G., Gibson, R.L. & Anhaeusser, C.R. (1995). The relationship between antiformal and monoclinal steep structures in the Okiep Copper District, Namaqualand: A case study. S Afr J Geol, 99 (2), 185-196.
  • Kisters, A.F.M. & Anhaeusser, C.R. (1995). The structural significance of the Steynsdorp pluton and anticline wihtin the tectono-magmatic framework of the Barberton Mountainland. S Afr J Geol, 98 (1), 43-51.
  • Kisters, A.F.M. & Anhaeusser, C.R. (1995). Emplacement features of Archaean TTG plutons along the southern margin of the Barberton greenstone belt, South Africa. Precam Res, 75, 1-15.
  • Anhaeusser, C.R., Editor (1997). A Century of Geological Endeavour in Southern Africa 1895-1995. Geological Society of South Africa, 587 pp.
  • Anhaeusser, C.R. & Walraven, F. (1998). Polyphase crustal evolution of the Archaean Kraaipan granite-greenstone terrane, Kaapvaal Craton, South Africa. J Afr Ear Sci, 28 (2), 289-309.
  • Wilson, M.G.C. & Anhaeusser,C.R., Editors (1998). The Mineral Resources of South Africa. Handbook, Council for Geoscience, 16, 740pp.
  • Anhaeusser, C. R. (1999). Archaean crustal evolution of the central Kaapvaal Craton, South Africa: evidence from the Johannesburg Dome. S Afr J Geol, 102(4), 303-322.
  • Anhaeusser, C. R. (2001). The anatomy of an extrusive-intrusive Archaean mafic-ultramafic sequence: the Nelshoogte Schist Belt and Stolzburg Layered Ultramafic Complex, Barberton Greenstone Belt, South Africa. S Afr J Geol, 104(2),167-204.
  • Poujol, M. and Anhaeusser, C. R. (2001). The Johannesburg Dome, South Africa: new single zircon U-Pb isotopic evidence for early Archaean granite- greenstone development within the central Kaapvaal Craton. Precambrian Res., 108, (1/2), 139-158
  • Poujol, M., Anhaeusser, C. R. and Armstrong, R.A. (2002). Episodic granitoid emplacement in the Archaean Amalia-Kraaipan terrane, South Africa: confirmation from single zircon U-Pb geochronology. J. Afr. Earth Sci., 35 (2), 147-161.
  • Kohler, E. A. and Anhaeusser, C. R. (2002). Geology and geodynamic setting of Archaean silicic metavolcaniclastic rocks of the Bien Venue Formation Fig Tree Group, northeast Barberton greenstone belt, South Africa. Precambrian Res., 116, (3/4), 199-235.
  • Dziggel, A., Stevens, G., Poujol, M., Anhaeusser, C. R. and Armstrong, R. A. (2002). Metamorphism of the granite-greenstone terranesouth of the Barberton greenstone belt, South Africa: an insight into the tectono-thermal evolution of the 'lower' portions of the Onverwacht Group. Precambrian Res., 114, 221-247.
  • Ishihara, S., Anhaeusser, C. R. and Robb, L. J. (2002). Granitoid-series evaluation of the Archaean Johannesburg Dome granitoids, South Africa. Bull. Geol. Surv. Japan, 53 (1), 1-9.
  • Yibas, B., Reimold, W.U., Armstrong, R., Koeberl, C., Anhaeusser, C. R. and Phillips, D. (2002). The tectonostratigraphy, granitoid geochronology and geological evolution of the Precambrian of southern Ethiopia. J. Afr. Earth Sci., 34, 57-84.
  • Ishihara, S., Robb, L. J., Anhaeusser, C. R. and Imai, A. (2002). Granitoid series in terms of magnetic susceptibility: a case study from the Barberton region, South Africa. Gondwana Research, 5 (3), 581-589.
  • Stevens, G., Droop, G. T. R., Armstrong, R. A. and Anhaeusser, C. R. (2002). Amphibolite facies metamorphism of Fig Tree Group metasediments: a record of the mid-crustal response to ~3.23 Ga terrane accretion in the Barberton greenstone belt, South Africa. S. Afr.J.Geol.,105 (3),271-284.

I am planning to setup an event for one of the following dates 2, 9, 16 in April 2011 but would like to get a feel of how many people would be interested and which date you prefer?

Go for it. Any date is fine with me.

List the Earth cache in advance for release on that day so that after the lecture we will have all the information at our fingertips to answer the questions.

I think it is a great idea. <_<

Jealous guy from Abu dhabi reading your post :sad:

This is sooo awesome - well done.

I have had a few logs on my earthcaches where cachers have bumped into visiting geologists who have given them a full run down on the cache they were investigating.

Really really great.

Perhaps we can convert him to caching :)

i hope my business plans can link with this and I can get a late "will attend" in - fingers crossed.

Thanks, it sounds fascinating! I would love to hear more. I heard a slightly similar talk from a geologist once when I did the guided Sunday afternoon walk on the central Mellville koppie. For those that are interested in this subject, I can recommend the Mellville koppie walk, since there is a lot of fascinating geology on the koppie. I don't understand geology well and I can't remember everything from the talk, but at some point on the walk one can literally see the edge of the Witwatersrand.