Multiple Topos

aintnorock

I have an Oregon 450 and want to go caching in two states in the same day. I've downloaded both the Lousiana and Mississippi Topo maps from gpsfile depot. Using MapSource, I've installed the maps on my Oregon, but wait - when I load one, it unloads the other. Only the last one that I loaded stays in the Garmin.

Is there any way to load and enable both topo maps?

thanks,

carl

I have an Oregon 450 and want to go caching in two states in the same day. I've downloaded both the Lousiana and Mississippi Topo maps from gpsfile depot. Using MapSource, I've installed the maps on my Oregon, but wait - when I load one, it unloads the other. Only the last one that I loaded stays in the Garmin.

Is there any way to load and enable both topo maps?

thanks,

carl

Once the file is uploaded to the gps, find it using Explorer and rename it from gmapsupp.img to louisiana.img or Mississippi.img then load the second one. It's overwriting the maps each time you upload, so that's why you need to rename the map.

All above mentioned options are good options but the newer model Garmin GPSs such as the Oregons allow you to rename the file named "gmapsupp.img" loaded to your GPS. Do this with the GPS in mass storage mode via you PC. Ex. load the MS topo... rename the "gmapsupp.img" file to "MS Topo.img"... then load the LA topo... again, rename the "gmapsupp.img" file to "LA Topo.img". This gives you the advantage of not having to reload all your maps when just 1 of many maps that you put on your GPS over time is updated. The exisiting "gmapsupp.img" file on your GPS is always overwritten with the newly loaded "gmapsupp.img" file.

If you haven't already it is a good idea to back up eveything (all files) that came on your GPS from the factory to your PC or a DVD for safe keeping.

Edited by eaparks

All above mentioned options are good options but the newer model Garmin GPSs such as the Oregons allow you to rename the file named "gmapsupp.img" loaded to your GPS. Do this with the GPS in mass storage mode via you PC. Ex. load the MS topo... rename the "gmapsupp.img" file to "MS Topo.img"... then load the LA topo... again, rename the "gmapsupp.img" file to "LA Topo.img". This gives you the advantage of not having to reload all your maps when just 1 of many maps that you put on your GPS over time is updated. The exisiting "gmapsupp.img" file on your GPS is always overwritten with the newly loaded "gmapsupp.img" file.

If you haven't already it is a good idea to back up eveything (all files) that came on your GPS from the factory to your PC or a DVD for safe keeping.

Okay, now I'm totally confused. I did this. I loaded two maps, and renamed gmapsupp both times. I'm now showing :huh: these img files in my Garmin folder:

gmapbmap

gmaptz

latopo

mstopo

The first obviously is the basemap

the second - I have no idea

the third and 4th are topo maps I've loaded, and then renamed.

When I go to my Setup / Map/ Map Information, I have 3 blocks:

one is titled mti-la, but the sub information is for Mississippi - I have it disabled

The second is title Mississippi Topo which is the first time I renamed gmapsupp. It's enabled.

The third block is the base map.

So, when I go to enable the added mstopo, and latopo maps, they don't even show up. I'm okay now because the MS map is loaded and I'm going there this weekend, but I ultimately want to get my Louisiana map loaded, too.

Anybody have any idea on how to get rid of those two extraneous maps I have on the Garmin itself? They're not showing up in the directory anywhere.

If only I had a brain. Sometimes I wish I never took up geocaching - it's getting too complicated. :huh::blink:

One is your basemap and the other is your time zone map. Do NOT get rid of either.

"mti-la, but the sub information is for Mississippi "

IGNORE the subinformation. Its a bug. mti-LA is your LA topo map and if you enable it, it will show. Since there may be overlap between the MS and LA maps and they likely have the same draw order. only enable the one you want to use.

"Not sure how to do this. Mapsource, as far as I can tell, will allow only 1 map at a time. "

The link I gave you was a tutorial to show you how to do it. But the way you did it also works.

One is your basemap and the other is your time zone map. Do NOT get rid of either.

"mti-la, but the sub information is for Mississippi "

IGNORE the subinformation. Its a bug. mti-LA is your LA topo map and if you enable it, it will show. Since there may be overlap between the MS and LA maps and they likely have the same draw order. only enable the one you want to use.

"Not sure how to do this. Mapsource, as far as I can tell, will allow only 1 map at a time. "

The link I gave you was a tutorial to show you how to do it. But the way you did it also works.

More confusion, but it's the way I want it. I disabled the Mississippi Topo map, and enabled the mti-la and now I have BOTH maps loaded, which is what I want. I'm wondering what's going to happen if I'm ever going to want a 4th or 5th map? How will they show up on my Garmin? I'm still very confused as to why the titles on the maps on the device don't match anything that's in the files. Are we limited to just 2 supplemental maps at a time? That hardly seems right if you want to add city nav and topo information, etc. Guess I'll have to keep reading and trying to figure it out.

thanks for your help.

I've been reading the Oregon wiki, and it seems as though the Garmin will support only 3 or 4 maps. The base map, timezone map, and 2 supplemental maps. Now apparently we can load more than that onto the Garmin, but I'm still seriously confused as to why the names showing in Setup > Maps > Map Information have nothing to do with the names of the .img files showing in the Garmin directory.

I currently have my GPSr where I want it, but would like more info as to how to determine what resides where and how to rename the files showing on the GPSr vs what's on the directory.

Any more smart people out there?

thanks,

carl

I've been reading the Oregon wiki, and it seems as though the Garmin will support only 3 or 4 maps. The base map, timezone map, and 2 supplemental maps. Now apparently we can load more than that onto the Garmin, but I'm still seriously confused as to why the names showing in Setup > Maps > Map Information have nothing to do with the names of the .img files showing in the Garmin directory.

I currently have my GPSr where I want it, but would like more info as to how to determine what resides where and how to rename the files showing on the GPSr vs what's on the directory.

Any more smart people out there?

thanks,

carl

What, you don't like the smart people who tried to help already?

Not sure why you think you can only have 4 maps. I have many more than that already, as shown in the screen shots below:

This is my Oregon 550's Garmin directory with 3 map.img files:

Mike-Oregon%20Directory.jpg

This is the Micro SD card including 5 maps I've named appropriately:

Mike-Oregon-SD.jpg

There is some duplication in the maps, but it does not seem to cause any issues.

And these are screen shots of the maps listed on the Oregon when the img files above are loaded. As you can see there are 6 map products listed.

58.jpg

54.jpg

49.jpg

Sounds like you may have selected quads/tiles/the entire state from the LA topo, then did the same for the MS topo, then had MapSource send them to your OR, then renamed the gmapsupp.img file to latopo.

That wiki informnation is obviously incorrect. A few weeks ago I tested and posted that I put 17 individual mapsets on the micro memory card in my OR300, some 'normal' and some overlay/transparent. Each could be enabled/disabled individually and various combinations works as expected. This was in response to a post saying they thought the limit was 10 mapsets in internal memory and another 10 on the memory card.

It's beginning to make sense. Someone mentioned a bug about the LA and MS maps overlapping, and that's why I have the mti-la label. I tried an experiement, and I loaded another map - Florida - and it shows up on my gpsr, so I guess I'm good to go. It's just a matter of understanding how it works.

Thanks everyone (you smarter than me people) for helping me understand all this.

Carl

That wiki informnation is obviously incorrect. A few weeks ago I tested and posted that I put 17 individual mapsets on the micro memory card in my OR300, some 'normal' and some overlay/transparent. Each could be enabled/disabled individually and various combinations works as expected. This was in response to a post saying they thought the limit was 10 mapsets in internal memory and another 10 on the memory card.

I went back and looked at the wiki again, and I obviously misread it. The Oregon will support as many .img files as you have. You just have to rename the gmapsupp before you load another one on top of it.