Coping with no Caching

StarBrand

As many of you know, I have been an active particpant in this little hobby of ours for nearly 9 years now. In this rural area my caching opportunities are sometimes few and far between but I hide caches, have events, teach classes and find when I can. However, I have been unable to go caching for about 2 months now and it is driving me crazy. I hope to get out there in just another week or 2 for a few finds.

I feel like I am still doing what I can, planning a few hides, thinking about some maintenance, planning an event, watching some caching videos and trying to offer a little help here in the forums. The question I have for you is:

If you just could not get out for a few finds ("a fix")for a long while - what would you do to participate??

Edited by StarBrand

I would solve puzzles all around the world and dream about being able to seek the containers! (I might post notes on the cache pages of the best puzzles, to stay connected and give the puzzle creator some positive feedback.)

Good luck with your recovery.

Edited by succotash

As many of you know, I have been an active particpant in this little hobby of ours for nearly 9 years now. In this rural area my caching opportunities are sometimes few and far between but I hide caches, have events, teach classes and find when I can. However, I have been unable to go caching for about 2 months now and it is driving me crazy. I hope to get out there in just another week or 2 for a few finds.

I feel like I am still doing what I can, planning a few hides, thinking about some maintenance, planning an event, watching some caching videos and trying to offer a little help here in the forums. The question I have for you is:

If you just could not get out for a few finds ("a fix")for a long while - what would you do to participate??

I once went over a year without a single find. Filled it with my other hobbies - sailing, kayaking, walking, mountain biking, taking pictures, being a parent....

Edited by keehotee

I would be building caches to pass the time. Work on puzzle caches that I could get after the recovery. Attend events if it was possible. That's what I would do to cope with no caching.

Several multi-layered puzzle caches have a TB/geocoin that can be solved by "distance" solvers. That is, you solve the puzzle and send proof to the CO who then sends you the code to log the TB/geocoin in lieu of the cache. I will try to find some of the listings for you. Meantime, I suspect the community here knows of some they could point out.

In addition, try something different. I know you are physically limited by your condition but it would be a perfect time to learn a new language or how to really manipulate a spreadsheet or take an online course in something you always wanted to learn.

I wish you the best with your recovery.

I have found all the caches on a 100km (60 miles) radius. For me, to go caching seems to be the exception - it's impossible to get a quick grab when you have to travel for several hours each way. I only cache during weekends and vacation; my typical geocaching weekend begins Saturday morning with a long trip, caching the rest of the day, sometimes caching through the night, continuing Sunday until the afternoon and making the trip back home in the evening.

My profile says my longest dry stretch is 54 days between finds (in 2009). That roughly corresponds with a period after I had foot surgery and was on crutches. I have to check my stats because I can't imagine not hunting a single cache for that long a period. I must have at least a few DNFs during that stretch.

Anyway, I didn't even notice that I had that long a dry spell until I looked at my stats. I guess I just kept busy doing other things. It's not like I was laying in bed for the entire time. I went camping and paddling during that time (you should see the contraption I made to keep my cast dry) and did a lot of fishing if I recall correctly.

Edited by briansnat

Well I for one am not the best puzzle solver around, so although I might try to solve a few I would only get fed up in the long run. I think I would plan a series/trail of caches trad/multi that would test the most experienced of cachers with a few easier ones to keep the newer members happy. I would then sit back and watch the frustrated comments and DNF's come in. With this in place I would be tempted to encourage others locally to attempt geocaching, with the hope that some folks would get the bug and eventually place more caches locally. Then I could head out to find them. This is assuming I had lots of time on my hands.

Build cache containers, read the forums more, and try to put in some helpful answers from time to time, scour google earth to try to find some potentially "interesting" spot nearby that doesn't have a cache in it yet (and that's really hard to do around here).

Oh yeah, and I'd check the links on my signature to make sure they all still "linked" :rolleyes:

Edited by BC & MsKitty

When I was laid up for several months I stayed connected to caching by working on puzzles I had put off for ages, helping others with caching questions, reading the logs of my friends, keeping tabs on new caches springing up, and just talking to my caching buddies. Then as I got back to being able to get out again, I felt I had never really been away and all my caching friends helped me get right back into the swing of things. I had to start back slowly, of course, but my friends helped with that by placing caches they knew I could get to (I was in a wheelchair for a long while, then had to work my way back to walking without assistance devices).

But to be completely honest, I was glad for the break. At the time of my accident I was working on a consecutive days with a find streak and caching had come to feel like work - something I HAD to do. The forced break made me step back and re-evaluate my caching. Now I don't really care about the numbers, the stats, or any of that. Oh yeah, I have my personal milestones and stuff but that is more of a side element of the game more so than a goal or reason for playing. And most of all, I realized that....

If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong!

Though not stuck at home, I've had no time to cache as of late (haven't been since August!) so I know how you feel. In the little time I've had to escape from work and the responsibilities keeping me from caching I've started planning my "once I retire trips" and creating routes for my PQs, scanned through the forums from time to time, and try to keep up with all the changes, and attempt to stay in contact with my caching buddies. I miss driving down dirt roads, laughing with my friends, spotting different types of wildlife, and spending a day with no responsibilities except to have a camera and a pen that writes.

I've been able to get out for a cache or two on the weekends but nothing like what I was doing last Fall. I've been spending my time trying to solve local puzzles for future finding (I am not good but I'm trying to pick off some easy ones) and thinking about making puzzles for others to find. I've also been putting some camo on PB jars and creating log books with recycled paper from work. It will be Spring soon enough.

You need to move - there is just not enough caches in your area. I just looked at the map, zoomed about to the 5 mile point and I only see 110 caches.

on topic - if I couldnt find any (whatever the reason), I would hide some and/or have a public event: educate people on what geocaching is and see if I could get more people to participate.

Well Starbrand, since many of us are quasi-confined to our homes due to the winter weather, I think many of us can at least sympathize with you.

I'll echo what others have said--I would work on creating my own caches and solving puzzles. I wouldn't just solve puzzles in my area either. I would solve them for places I even MIGHT be going in the next year or so. For me, that would be my parent's house, a city I have several friends in, the city where I am attending a conference in a couple months, and so on. That might look completely different for you, of course. And if you aren't a big traveler, just start on some of those beginner puzzles to work on your puzzle skills.

... Of course, none of this applies if you aren't a huge fan of puzzle caches. In that case, I'd be creating caches, perhaps brainstorming cache ideas, and visiting the forums (as you very obviously are doing!).

I think there's plenty of ways to enjoy Geocaching from home temporarily. You've just got to find what you enjoy most. Then--when you have recovered--you'll have a blast putting all of that hard work into action!

All the best in your recovery!

I almost hate to post the one puzzle with a distance solving option I've discovered so far as it is a real toughie:

Check out Cerebral Codex

Maybe you can get some of your friends involved. Or not, if you value their friendship. :lol:

I decided to have a look at that... I can read the file online, but the download is always corrupt or not loadable...

I'll have to get creative or something... I'm wondering if it is blocked from downloading correctly (even with the option there) or if it is simply an older format that isn't supported any more... annoying though. Perhaps it is a NON Adobe compliant .pdf version.

I have heard that can be a problem sometimes... Hard to follow it IF I have to stay on line... and do it by hand. WORD would be nice option...

Other than that it looks like fun from a distance solve POV.

SB:

As for not getting out and about, I have only two NEW caches in the area... one about 45km by road and one about 70km up at a ski area... Those will be accessible under the right conditions... transport and timing issues... one is only 100m from the highway... not that bad I suppose, but then standing waiting for the bus for the next 6 hours to go home is a bear... The other is at a ski trails area that I could certainly ski to... Again no way to get that far though... so far. A few that are more remote, but not always Winter friendly ones. I spend a lot of time plotting NEXT season (Spring). I have been playing the Where in Canada quiz (photo ID) over in the Canada forum. You can start at the beginning, just check the answer after you find the ID. Don't post coordinates though

as it spoils the reuse factor. A name and GC# don't tell you where it is until you want it. I've seen some neat places to goto in the future and a few I haven't been to in years.

Doug 7rxc