Garmin Nuvi 3790t startup screen

RootDoc

Does anyone know if the startup screen can be customized with contact information? This is possible with other Garmin units with the startup.txt file. This doesn't seem to be present on this one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Norm

Not all Garmins have a startup.txt. That's mainly on Oregon/Colorado and Dakota models. Older models like the 60/eTrex Legend etc allowed you to create a startup message as text in the unit, rather than modifying a text file in the root directory.

But Nuvis are approached differently. What you need to do is take an image you can display on the screen of your Nuvi, assuming it allows image display, then on your computer, take that image and add your contact information to the image using an image editor. Then save the file, re-upload it to the Nuvi, view it on the gps, and select it as your startup screen. If you combine this with a password on your Nuvi, then people will be able to see the owner information but not get in to the gps if they don't know the password, or your "secret unlock location".

Makes the gps worthless to a thief - he or she can't sell it to anyone if your information is displayed permanently on the screen.

Not all Nuvis have the ability to password protect the unit; the 295W for instance does not.

Here's an example I modified using Picasa, Google's free image editor.

IMG_0871.JPG

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I googled for info, and turned up a few reviews (that obviously were copied from one, but I don't know which is the original). They stated : "You can also customise wallpaper on the lock screen", like Dr Jeckyl suggested, so I guess that's the route to go. Others just say "customizable wallpaper" but no idea which wallpaper can be customized.

Edited by Chrysalides