Deleting Cartridge

Captain Gore-tex

No news on this, no news on the site as a whole. Whenever we do get this feature, I'd imagine you'd be able to archive old published cartridges and would hope you should be able to delete cartridges that haven't ever been published (or downloaded by anyone else but you). I'm not sure about that last bit, though, but I am certain about the first judging by the current operational model on the geocaching site.

No news on this, no news on the site as a whole. Whenever we do get this feature, I'd imagine you'd be able to archive old published cartridges and would hope you should be able to delete cartridges that haven't ever been published (or downloaded by anyone else but you). I'm not sure about that last bit, though, but I am certain about the first judging by the current operational model on the geocaching site.

I wanted to delete a "problem" cartridge which had too many snags and replace it with a shortened version. After trying to delete it, I now get an "Error" message when trying to access the MY HOME section of Wherigo, so am unable to do anything with my project which is very frustrating.

When contacting Groundspeak about this, I received the following reply on 7th Feb 2011:

Unfortunatley, there is no way to completely delete a cartridge, only to make it inactive.

I would recommend trying to upload your cartridge again as a new one and activating that one with all of your corrected edits.

Sorry we cannot be of more help.

I have asked if I can transfer my "finds" to a new User Name, assuming I'd then be able to complete my cartridge, but have not had a reply yet. Can anyone say if this is possible please?

Well, really, the problem you'd need to report is you can't get to the "My Home" page on Wherigo.com. You shouldn't have to get a new user account just because there's a problem with the site. Try phrasing your problem like that, not that you can't delete a cartridge.

I'm curious as to how you attempted to delete the cartridge, as this might shed some light on why the site errors when you try to go to the "My Home" page.

To answer your direct question, it is possible to transfer your finds to a new user account. Whether or not Groundspeak has done this in the past I don't know. I haven't heard of something like this in my geocaching area.

Well, really, the problem you'd need to report is you can't get to the "My Home" page on Wherigo.com. You shouldn't have to get a new user account just because there's a problem with the site. Try phrasing your problem like that, not that you can't delete a cartridge.

I'm curious as to how you attempted to delete the cartridge, as this might shed some light on why the site errors when you try to go to the "My Home" page.

To answer your direct question, it is possible to transfer your finds to a new user account. Whether or not Groundspeak has done this in the past I don't know. I haven't heard of something like this in my geocaching area.

I've had more problems when trying to log in but I hope they're sorted now. Couldn't even add to this thread.

I have reported the fact that I cannot get into the "MY HOME" page. No solution on this as yet.

They way I tried to delete the cartridge was, perhaps, inadvisable. I opened up the cartridge I wanted to replace and, not seeing any link to "Delete", thought I would just delete all the text in all the sections and then upload it again. A mistake obviously as since then I get the dreaded "An error has occurred" message and I am unable to edit, upload, download etc.

I've still had no reply from Groundspeak on this problem.

Try this: open Groundspeak's Builder and upload the cartridge file from it. If the error occurs on the web UI's end, this will get around it and, hopefully, replace the cartridge entirely (as long as it doesn't add a new listing, this way could possibly work).

I did as you suggest. I uploaded the cartridge for publishing (as amended) with the original name and the same cartridge with a new name. Both uploads were accepted and the message stated the cartridge was ready to download to my unit.

I tried to get into MY HOME from the HOME page of Wherigo and still got the "Error" message.

I cannot attempt to download the cartridge to my unit until I get into the MY HOME page. I expect it has added a new listing, but I can't check on this.

Regards.

Thanks Ranger Fox for your time and help with my problem. It has now been resolved by the Groundspeak developers and I am able to access the MY HOME page of Wherigo. I'll have to wait four days until I'm back from a short break, then I'll get my teeth into creating this cartridge again.

Regards.