Magellan explorist GC vs. Garmin Dakota 20

KaMiLo

Hy,

me and my girlfriend are newbies in geocaching. We found our first cache accidentally. But now, we are "infected"... ;)

We think about buying a GPS now. Our budget is about 200 euros and we want to have a GPS that allows paperless geocaching.

In the 200 euros class I found the:

Magellan explorist GC

and

Garmin Dakota 20

My question is now:

Does anybody have experience with one of these GPS or with both devices?

Thanks!

KaMiLo

So both devices seem to be good, thanks for the fast answers by the way...

I think the main differences between the dakota and the explorist are:

Dakota: electronic 3 axis compass, but no picture viewer (for paperless caching)

Eplorist: no compass, but a picture viewer for spoiler pictures...

I already mentioned that I am an newbie in caching, so what would caching-vets advice:

Explorist + a good old magnetic compass

or

Dakota + a bundle of printouts?

I have no idea how often spoiler pictures are needed, so please tell me what is your experience?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by KaMiLo

I just did a price check of the units MSRP, you can buy 2 Explorist GCs for the price of the Dakota 20, then you both could have your own.

Have you considered something further up the Explorist line to get more of an apples to apples comparison, or does the GC simply meet all your needs?

I think the picture viewer is a bit of a non-issue. There's no automated way to get pictures across (not even as PM) so I've never used the picture viewer on my Oregon, ever. Spoiler pictures can be useful as a newbie, but you'll find them less and less useful (or let's say necessary) as you gain experience. The magnetic compass on the other hand can and will be invaluable many times.

We sill have a smartphone for loading spoiler pictures in a pinch, but we did that maybe once or twice only in the last year.

I think the picture viewer is a bit of a non-issue. There's no automated way to get pictures across (not even as PM) so I've never used the picture viewer on my Oregon, ever. Spoiler pictures can be useful as a newbie, but you'll find them less and less useful (or let's say necessary) as you gain experience. The magnetic compass on the other hand can and will be invaluable many times.

We sill have a smartphone for loading spoiler pictures in a pinch, but we did that maybe once or twice only in the last year.

The Explorists loads any pictures in the cache description right to the description page on the GPSr if you use VantagePoint or GSAK, I don't remember it doing pictures from the logs though.

The Explorists loads any pictures in the cache description right to the description page on the GPSr if you use VantagePoint or GSAK, I don't remember it doing pictures from the logs though.

Sorry, I meant to say "without any additional tools". I know you can do it with GSAK or whatever, also for the Oregons, but that's not an option for me. Of course, if you already use GSAK, you might as well load the pictures too.

Edited by dfx

I own both the Magellan GC and the Dakota 10.

I can say that the Dakota 10 is superior in every possible way over the GC. It's faster, easier to move from geocache to geocache, auto-routes, much superior satellite reception (which I've posted proof several times in here), larger screen, touch screen, longer battery life, accurate odometer, you can update the maps etc etc.

Then you throw in Magellan's history of abandoning product support once they come out with a new unit.

The 310 might be an improvement over the GC when it comes out.

The GC sits in my car and only will be used if I forget to bring my Dakota.

I'm in about the same position (also a newbie) - checked amazon and dropped the magellan, the dakota and a holux GPS device in my cart. but i think i read a review on amazon that the dakota needs additional maps ??? how true is that?

and what's this "paperless caching" anyways ? (OT i know... i'll search it)