Tips how to make a good nightcache?

Menn0

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to make my own nighcache in a nearby forest, the forest consists of hills ,pools and heaths.

I would make a container with a number code lock. And than you need to find some codes by waypoints in the forrest.

Does someone have ideas to find a number in a dark forrest on a fun and cool way.

Regards,

Menno from Holland

btw. in the forrest is much happened during the WO II, Mayby is it cool to do somehing with that :D

Edited by Menn0

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to make my own nighcache in a nearby forest, the forest consists of hills ,pools and heaths.

I would make a container with a number code lock. And than you need to find some codes by waypoints in the forrest.

Does someone have ideas to find a number in a dark forrest on a fun and cool way.

Regards,

Menno from Holland

btw. in the forrest is much happened during the WO II, Mayby is it cool to do somehing with that :D

Just remember when placing reflectors that if its winter when the new growth of spring happens it will cover your markers.

I used one idea that I saw here in the forums - using two different colors of FireTacks I made binary numbers on trees with four FireTacks (bright = 1, dim = 0). See GCRTBN.

Not sure the method used here but I have a cache in the works that you can ONLY find at night too. Over half the so-called night caches I've found I've found during the day. I want a cache that circumvents doing a night cache during the day.

Take a look at The Night Beckons You (GCXYMV). This is a cache in Michigan that we had a lot of fun finding. A couple of other great night caches that use beacons are Josh's Night Hunt 1 and 2 (GC1MB27 and GC1KK1D). The first one has a beacon that is activated shortly after sunset. Night Hunt 2 requires you to shine your flashlight at the beacon to activate it. Then you have to count how many times it flashes to get your coordinates. I love night caches too, and am thinking of making the first cache that I place a night cache. Good luck with yours!

Take a look at The Night Beckons You (GCXYMV). This is a cache in Michigan that we had a lot of fun finding. A couple of other great night caches that use beacons are Josh's Night Hunt 1 and 2 (GC1MB27 and GC1KK1D). The first one has a beacon that is activated shortly after sunset. Night Hunt 2 requires you to shine your flashlight at the beacon to activate it. Then you have to count how many times it flashes to get your coordinates. I love night caches too, and am thinking of making the first cache that I place a night cache. Good luck with yours!

My cache will be Arduino based with dual photo electric cells. One to detect ambient light and the other to detect your flashlight. When conditions are right, an LCD will provide the coordinates. Ambient light detector will be airborne so it can't be "easily" tampered with.

I once thought about a night cache where a series of points led you to custom made metal pole with a switch. Turn on the switch and a bright green laser pen would point directly at the cache location.

Reminds me of our first nightcache, "One Night in Kreuznach," near Bad Kreuznach, Germany. The penultimate stage was a fencepost with a hole drilled in it, and a small container with a laser pointer. You had to bring a AAA battery for the pointer, then out it in the hole, and it pointed to the final.

I have not placed a night cache. But, I have logged some. One of which was probably my most memorable caching adventure. I would say what I appreciate most in a night cache is:

1) A lengthy hike. Make it a cache one has to set out to get.

2) Terrain (whether through topography or the thick stuff)

3) Progressively harder to find reflectors (spaced further & further apart.)

But, that's me. ;)

Well i can't really tell you what to make but keep these things in mind:

- Don't make it too short! People make special trips to do night caches.

- Try to keep tripping hazards to a minimum. No bushwhacking please.

- Place markers where they can't be covered by leaves or other debris

- Flashlights attract muggle attention - pick your location carefully

- Do something original! Follow the dots can be fun, but try to be creative.

I've been planning a night cache for around 6 months now, but I want to do something that'll blow people's socks off.

I have a night cache that's very popular. Basically it's firetacks that lead you to coordinates written in glow in the dark paint. The coordinates are just the last 3 numbers to replace the posted coords, so I only had to draw 6 digits.

To make it harder, the coordinates are written in block numbers and the empty parts of the numbers are filled in with lines of elmer's glue, so that in the daylight every letter looks like an 8. Like this:

To make it even harder I turned the coords 90 degrees and used a black sharpie to put some fake coords on it. The fake coords lead to a lamp post. The film cannister in the lamp post explains to go back and use a flashlight on the coords, and then look at them in the dark. In the dark you only see the glow in the dark paint and not the fake coords.

The glow in the dark paint is at the bottom of a long 4" PVC tube hanging in a tree, the opposite end has a drain cover glued on it to ensure nobody reaches in and writes on the coords. You shine your light through the drain cover, turn off the light, then look through the drain cover in the dark to see the glowing paint and get the coords.

It's been out for a while so I don't mind posting the complete spoiler here. I figure the number of locals that read these forums that were going to find it and haven't yet are seriously low.

I really think it's one of the few night caches that is impossible to find during the day.