Basic Member + Caching app on iPod Touch

Viridios

I have recently received an iPod Touch 4Gen as a gift, and am really interested in getting the Official Geocaching App and using it for paperless caching. I have looked around the forums, and I have noticed that much talk has been given to Pocket Queries, and how the Touch can filter them.

I am a basic member, and cannot run PQs. I am a student with a family, so money is tight, and I am worried about purchasing the Geocaching app if it is next to worthless. How much information can be saved to the Touch for offline use? I know I have to be near Wi-fi to update. Am I able to choose the caches I want to go for, save them, and pull up the info offline? Am I able to get everything, or just the Name, GC number, and coordinates? Can I get the hints, and past logs saved as well?

Are there any basic member app users out there who can help me out on this? Would a different app be a better choice?

As much as you have free memory in the unit for. You just have to go to each cache one by one to add them to the favorites in the app. Once you have them stored to favorites you can pull them up on the go outside of Wi-Fi range. You will have all the information available. Its well worth the $10. I go the app well before i started my premium membership.

You just have to go to each cache one by one to add them to the favorites in the app. Once you have them stored to favorites you can pull them up on the go outside of Wi-Fi range.

Does having a premium membership make it easier to load multiple caches into the Touch?

Yes. You can build Pocket Queries of 500-1000 caches and pull them all in at once.

so you have the info on the touch.....how do you get to gz? since the touch does not have gps built in?

Monty

Garmin eTrex Summit

I just hate having to sit down before I leave and write down all the details for each cache I am looking for. I am also hoping to add all the caches in my area into my GPS, and should I find myself near one, I can pull the cache up from the iPod and get the details (mainly the maps, so I know what roads to go on).

Sounds like if this is what I want I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get a premium account...

The maps will only work if you have an internet connection. All the data for the cache will be there, ie. description, latest logs and hint but no maps. The premium membership will allow you to have access to the premium only caches and gives you the ability to upload PQs to get a batch of up to 1000 caches uploaded to your iTouch. Any maps you looked at on the saved side before leaving the Wi-Fi area will be there but if you have to zoom in, the zoomed portion of the map may not be available. Pretty much whatever the last map view you had is all you will have available. The iTouch has to pull data from the internet to update the map.

I use offmaps. It's an inexpensive app that works with geosphere. You download maps for the area you are likely to be in and the geosphere app has an option to view the cache in the offmaps app.

Viewing the area beforehand will store the map you last looked at in the ipods cache which works more seamlessly because you stay in the same app and it also shows surrounding caches.

i thought that was how it was done, but since you had not mentioned having a gps i thought i would put that out there so it was not a surprise.

had i felt more comfy i would have gone this route instead of buying a 62s. as i have a secong gen touch that i use ALOT. i knew i would like it, but never thought i would like it as much as i do. if i am near wifi i will use it for web stuff vs my blackberry tour.

Monty