What is your next milestone?

hoosier guy

We're heading for a major milestone this year - our 1000th.

We (that means "I" because MrB couldn't care less ;) ) usually try and choose a cache that's a bit special, or different, for each milestone. However I failed with our 900th because I didn't realise we were so close to it and I only realised we'd actually done our 900th two days later! :lol:

We might end up doing our 1000th at the UK Mega event at the end of July or, depending on how much caching we do, I'll have to start looking for something really unusual.

MrsB

Coincidentally, we got our 1000th yesterday. We just grabbed one at the top of a pass we travel through regularly. We really don't go out of our way to grab special caches for a milestone.

We once tried timing a milestone with finding our state's oldest cache, but realized we'd have to skip over a bunch of good caches on our trip there to make it work. Instead we just grabbed caches as we went, which for us was a lot more fun.

My goal for year's and year's was 1000. Once I passed that, the numbers are getting fairly meaningless. My current goal isn't a number at all. I have been stuck in the hospital and at home for 2 months now due to a leg infection. My goal is simply a day in the outdoors during which I hope to find a few caches. That will be oh so meaningful to me.

We made # 1000 a memorable one. It was an awesome cache in the middle of a early season blizzard. Other than that we have not gone out of our way to make any of our milestone caches anything more special than any other ones, although I do keep track of them as a gauge to track how quickly I'm finding them. I have a few ideas for # 2000 but that's a few months down the road.

Wow, some of you folk really do have milestones already under your belt.

Well, for us, we are currently at 25 and the next milestone will be 30! Yep, 30!

Then to celebrate, we are going to find a place nearby home for our very own cache.

We've already identified a couple of likely spots and currently getting all the bits together.

Then at 50 found, we will let our own Travel Bug loose on a mission our young lad is working on.

Edited by rascar66

Wow, some of you folk really do have milestones already under your belt.

Well, for us, we are currently at 25 and the next milestone will be 30! Yep, 30!

Then to celebrate, we are going to find a place nearby home for our very own cache.

We've already identified a couple of likely spots and currently getting all the bits together.

Then at 50 found, we will let our own Travel Bug loose on a mission our young lad is working on.

I'm with you rascar, I'm looking at 25 as my next milestone and have been preparing to create my first hide and also to let my first TB loose but have not decided when to do it; maybe 25 for the TB and 50 for the hide.

I just passed the #250 milestone (I'm at 251 now).

I do nothing to celebrate milestones, really. I think it's fun to see what I'll run across for each given milestone, but beyond that, I couldn't care less.

Interestingly, I found a 50 cal VERY urban ammo box for #200, and that was just an accident!

Also, I don't plan to reach X number of caches by X date. I just go with the flow, and cache as I have time. :)

... What a boring answer that was, haha.

#1000 is next for me, but it's about 3 months off and I haven't a clue what it'll be. I'd like it to be a "special" cache but given that every time I get close to a milestone, either I don't realize it or I miscount & end up with a non-memorable cache for the event, it may end up being a dud. Time will tell.

Congratulations to everyone reaching a milestone! It is most definitely the journey, and not so much the destination. We've always tried to choose a cache that is just a little bit special for our milestones, whether it's a cache put out by a particular hider or in a significant spot or just a name that means something to us. Makes it more fun somehow.

I don't really try to get a specific cache for a milestone, unless it completes a challenge or stat that I want to accomplish. I purposely got my last 81 difficulty and terrain matrix cache on my 810th. I am now attempting to have at least 30% of my finds at least a 3 star difficulty or terrain on my 1000th. I haven't looked at my numbers in a couple of weeks, but I need about 35-40 more out of my next 75 caches to accomplish that.

Haven't been caching for long, so haven't achieved anything like some of the numbers I am seeing quoted here. Have managed 52 in my first two weeks, so I guess 100 is a goal of sorts.

But what I do consider a goal, is to get my first cache published. I've got a lovely Woodland Park site in mind, decided on how I want to hide the cache, no it won't be a micro tucked under the nearest rock, and I am currently looking at finding contact details of the land managers to make sure I have permission. All I will have to do then is build the cache housing, sort out the listing, and submit it for publishing.

I'm with you rascar, I'm looking at 25 as my next milestone and have been preparing to create my first hide and also to let my first TB loose but have not decided when to do it; maybe 25 for the TB and 50 for the hide.

Thanks Kameharem.

If your avitar is for the Seattle Sounders Soccer Club, cool !

We lived in Magnolia until Christmas 2001 and used to walked daily in and around Fort Lawton and the shores of the Sound. If only we knew about Geocaching then as Discovery Park would be such an excellent spot for caches. Not sure about the security rules though.

Good luck with your goals.

I like making my 100 milestones a big deal. With about 10 left to go, I plan a longer drive to one of the harder, longer, or more difficult caches in the state. It is a reason to go for a cache I would normally balk at just because its so far away, or I could easily just find a shorter one near home. I can clearly remember each 100, so they make for great memories.

I am slowly closing in on 600. A couple friends are right at 700. What is your next milestone? Do you choose the milestone cache carefully or just grab one? How do you celebrate a milestone?

My next milestone is 150 consecutive days caching with at least 1 cache found for those last 150 days. I will achieve that on January 30th, 2011. (Assuming of course I can get at least one cache for the next 6 days)

How will I celebrate? I will order me some supplies to make some more geocache containers. As part of the enjoyment I get from geocaching.com is using my CREATIVITY, to create and produce some very nice & interesting geocaching containers.

My next milestone after that will be reaching 2000 cache finds, as well as hopefully hitting the 250 cache callendar days milestone as well. That I should achieve sometime between Feb 14th, and Feb 28th. I hope. LOL

TGC

I try to make every 100th cache a little more special. It doesn't always happen. For example for my 1000th cache I had huge plans. I was visiting a friend in Kansas City and was able to get to 999 before flying out. 1000 was going to be my first cache across the Mississippi, not only that I found an awesome looking cache on the way back from the airport (http://coord.info/GCX612) but do to a delay we had to drive staight to a picnic. Now the cache I found was nowhere near as cool as that one, but I still have a great memory.

For 1900 I have no idea for 2000 I'm hoping I can make that the SC Delorme or SC County challenge we'll see.

Edited by IkeHurley13

My upcoming milestone is 100. I know it sounds petty to most but I just started in August. I moved from MA to Oklahoma and lost all my geocaching buddies. So getting to 100 is slow going. Does anyone know of any groups in the Fort Sill/Lawton area that I could meet up with?

For my 100th I just hope to take alot of photos and buy myself the 100th cache geocoin.

My goal for year's and year's was 1000. Once I passed that, the numbers are getting fairly meaningless. My current goal isn't a number at all. I have been stuck in the hospital and at home for 2 months now due to a leg infection. My goal is simply a day in the outdoors during which I hope to find a few caches. That will be oh so meaningful to me.

Hope you get healthy soon.

Once I hit 1000 finds I pretty much stopped looking towards milestones but have a few goals.

A few things happened around the time I was approaching 1000 finds. Power trail discussions were hot and heavy and the whole idea of "caching for the numbers" just felt wrong for me. One of the local cachers had created a 1000 finds Golden Ammo can for me and kept asking when I thought I might hit 1000 so she could place my tribute cache. I went out and found a bunch of caches so that she could get it over with. One of those caches turned out to be a micro next to a really smelly dumpster. When I was at that location I thought "the only reason I am finding/logging this cache is so that my total number of finds will get closer to 1000". Once I achieved that goal I had no desire to find/log a cache like that and have pretty much become a lot more discriminating about what caches I look for. I really don't care if I get to 2000 finds, or even 1100.

However I do have a few goals.

I want to go to Geowoodstock this year.

I'd like to find a cache on a 5th continent (Hoping for South America).

I want to have fun.

For those who are shooting for 25, 50 or 100 cache milestones....

A 1000, 2500, 5000, etc. milestone is no more of an event. Your first caches are difficult as you don't know what to look for or how to search for it. You've worked for those finds and there is no shame in enjoying the accomplishment.

Congratulations to all those hitting their 25, 50, & 100 cache milestones!!

P.S. It gets more fun from here. :)

My upcoming milestone is 100. I know it sounds petty to most but I just started in August.

Looking at my X00 milestones, the few that stand out don't stand out so much for the cache itself, but the person I was with or the experience I had.

#100 - It was a dark & stormy night Thanksgiving weekend. Cold, pouring rain, windy, a night not fit for man nor beast. And a nice piece of local (actually, national) history.

#400 - Out caching with a friend from halfway across the country who I get to see once a year at most. The cache itself was pretty mundane (hide-a-key in a guardrail, I didn't realize that was going to be a milestone), but we had more trouble finding the sunglasses he dropped while we were there.

#700 - Should have been an FTF, but I didn't really try. Ended up wandering in some woods, bushwhacking some swampy areas in shoes not well-suited for the terrain, and then discovered the trail after the find.

#900 - A quick run on the way home from work, out in the dark, snow & cold, I had tried twice before to find access to that particular part of the park and finally tried a better approach. Again, pretty mundane hide, but getting there was the achievement.

For those who are shooting for 25, 50 or 100 cache milestones....

A 1000, 2500, 5000, etc. milestone is no more of an event. Your first caches are difficult as you don't know what to look for or how to search for it. You've worked for those finds and there is no shame in enjoying the accomplishment.

Congratulations to all those hitting their 25, 50, & 100 cache milestones!!

P.S. It gets more fun from here. :)

+1 on that one! My 50th, 75th & 100th were really the most exciting for me. It does get more fun as you try new cache types, challenges and get involved in your local caching community.

I am slowly closing in on 600. A couple friends are right at 700. What is your next milestone? Do you choose the milestone cache carefully or just grab one? How do you celebrate a milestone?

My next milestone is 150 consecutive days caching with at least 1 cache found for those last 150 days. I will achieve that on January 30th, 2011. (Assuming of course I can get at least one cache for the next 6 days)

My next milestone after that will be reaching 2000 cache finds, as well as hopefully hitting the 250 cache callendar days milestone as well. That I should achieve sometime between Feb 14th, and Feb 28th. I hope. LOL

TGC

How can you hit 150 consecutive days caching on January 30th and 250 by the end of February? Time travel? :blink:

I am at 440 right now so I have #500 coming up later this spring. I don't have anything finite planned yet but The Spot (GC39) is certainly on the list. It is (so I am told...) the oldest cache east of the Mississippi. Local cachers hold this one in high regard and save it for a milestone.

I am at 440 right now so I have #500 coming up later this spring. I don't have anything finite planned yet but The Spot (GC39) is certainly on the list. It is (so I am told...) the oldest cache east of the Mississippi. Local cachers hold this one in high regard and save it for a milestone.

The Spot is certainly worthy as a milestone cache (it was my 900th find) but Beverly (GC28) in Illinois predates by 13 days and is east of the Mississippi river.

Thanks Kameharem.

If your avitar is for the Seattle Sounders Soccer Club, cool !

We lived in Magnolia until Christmas 2001 and used to walked daily in and around Fort Lawton and the shores of the Sound. If only we knew about Geocaching then as Discovery Park would be such an excellent spot for caches. Not sure about the security rules though.

Good luck with your goals.

yes, that is the Seattle Sounders FC which reminds me I was going to use HQ as a milestone too.

I really wanted to hit 200 before the end of the year. Never did. A snow storm came the weekend I was going to make my one last serious rally for it and it's snowed ever since then. So I guess I want to hit 200 or 250 this year. However, I don't do anything special for them. Just give a little smile as I log. I think the last time I aimed for something special was my 25th one because that seemed like such a huge deal to me. I have no idea why it was a huge deal but I remember making a real effort for a special cache for 25.

TGC

How can you hit 150 consecutive days caching on January 30th and 250 by the end of February? Time travel? :blink:

Not in the same year.... I have cached everday, non-stop since Septermber 3rd, 2010. January 30th, 2011 will make my 150th day consecutive day straight caching.

Thinking in terms of a 366 day callender. Placing an "X" on each day cached on that callendar. (No year for the callendar). Around the End of Februrary I will have "X"'d off 250 of those days on the callendar. Take a look at my stat's page and maybe it will it make more sense.

TGC

Currently we are just over 500 finds...the next milestone in my mind in 750 finds.

We do try to do memorable caches for what we consider our milestone finds. My 500th find was a cache called Einstein's Puzzle cache - I did this because of the challenge to solve the puzzle.

Hoping that I will be close to a milestone, when the Groundspeak Block party is running as it would be fun having that event or one of the triad caches to be my 750th (maybe even 1,000th find if my wife will let me convert a couple of our spring/summer weekend road trips into cache runs) ;)

I hit 1,000 yesterday. I chose this cache, a 5/5 by a cacher known for excellent hides.

Nevermind, apparently the CO changed it to a 3/4.5. I have no idea what changed from yesterday to today.

Nevermind, again. Now the CO has archived the cache. I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

TV...

PM me the GC number of that cache & let me know what part of DFW it's in. If it's the one I am thinking of. I may know why.

BTW... I noticed you had trouble finding a couple of my caches... need a hint?

TGC

I remember some of the milestones that we (my wife and i) hit like, 100, 1000, 2000, but after we hit 1000, milestones didnt seem any different for us, so now we some how got roped into an ongoing battle with a few of our caching friends there are four of us always trying to stay in the lead with the most! Its a fun little game we play.

My wife will get a text from a local cacher saying they just picked up 47 last weekend! And my wife will say "Oh no! We HAVE to go caching tomorrow!"

Its fun little banter and games like that we look forward to now.

We are currently at #198... and I am hoping to get the entire family out for a nice hike to get number 200. There is a multi near our home that involves an outhouse... since we got married in front of an old outhouse (classy, aren't we?) I am hoping we can do that one and maybe take a fun photo kissing by it or something goofy like that. My favorite milestone so far was #150 which also happened to be our first FTF! We don't go after FTFs, so having that one fall into place was pretty awesome.