Garmin 62s help

xshooter

For the most part I must admit it is annoying but I have had a couple of time that I was enjoying the scenery and not paying attention and it saved me from walking past the cache.

yea same here! we were geocaching while on vacation in Maui a couple of weeks ago, and as you can imagine, it's easy to get distracted by the environment when looking for a cache there. several times the proximity alert snapped me back to reality.

I also geocache with my wife, and we will end up yacking about something or another while on the hunt, and this alert brings our attention to the fact that we are probably walking all over the correct spot.

I am with the last two posters... I actually wish it would also go off if you start moving away from the cache again (after a short period to compensate for trail bends etc...) - I am guilty of overshooting a cache (that wasn't directly on the trail) by more than a mile on a long hike more than once by just enjoying the hike and the scenery - so for me the wakeup call is welcome...

Ya know for you people that like it, more power to you. I'm out there caching and paying attention to how far away from the cache I am. For me shutting it off would be fantastic, for you that like it leaving it on is the way to go. So for those of us who want it off let's start bugging Garmin for the option.

I've not had this popup message occur. I have disabled this setting somehow. I've been out caching this weekend and I simply havent seen the message. I have the geocaching dashboard enabled on both my map screen and my trip computer screen. That's the only thing I can think of, perhaps the warning message is disabled because the unit "knows" you're already looking. That's my best guess as to why I haven't seen this message after a dozen or so caches. I also have my electronic compass enabled. I also always "GO" to the cache instead of just allowing the "nearest" feature zero in automatically.

(just trying to figure out why me nor any of my friends have seen this popup message after months of use and dozens of geocaches.)

Edited by yogazoo

I've not had this popup message occur. I have disabled this setting somehow. I've been out caching this weekend and I simply havent seen the message. I have the geocaching dashboard enabled on both my map screen and my trip computer screen. That's the only thing I can think of, perhaps the warning message is disabled because the unit "knows" you're already looking. That's my best guess as to why I haven't seen this message after a dozen or so caches. I also have my electronic compass enabled. I also always "GO" to the cache instead of just allowing the "nearest" feature zero in automatically.

(just trying to figure out why me nor any of my friends have seen this popup message after months of use and dozens of geocaches.)

OK Yoga, now you have me thinking. I am out of town on business and had a little time yesterday to find a couple of caches. I am sure that as I approached the first cache, there was no alert. I chose "find nearest" after logging the first one as "found", and I got the proximity alert as I approached the 2nd one. I wonder if you are on to something here regarding what triggers the proximity alert.

Edited by Z06_Pilot

Nope, its not the tones. I've never had the tones on on my unit and I never fail to get that stupid screen. It's really a problem when you are driving up close to the location and its blocks your compass. I've driven by the location a couple of times because the " approaching" notice blocks the entire screen. Hopeful Garmin will make a software fix to this.

Well I don't really know what I did but yesterday in finding 10 caches I never got the "approaching" screen. I did look through every menu on my unit and turned off anything that even remotely looked like it could trigger the screen.

What software version do you have? I have 2.80 and the Garmin website tells me that this is currently the most up-to-date.

Well I don't really know what I did but yesterday in finding 10 caches I never got the "approaching" screen. I did look through every menu on my unit and turned off anything that even remotely looked like it could trigger the screen.

What software version do you have? I have 2.80 and the Garmin website tells me that this is currently the most up-to-date.

I have beta version 2.92. Can't remember where I found the link to it.

Here is the link for the 2.92 beta version of the 62 software. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will correct the problem. There is a list of changes the new software makes, but I didn't see mention of the "approaching' screen problem. I'm going to try it and will report back the results

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5071

Here is the link for the 2.92 beta version of the 62 software. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will correct the problem. There is a list of changes the new software makes, but I didn't see mention of the "approaching' screen problem. I'm going to try it and will report back the results

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5071

YES!!!! The 2.92 beta must be the key. I updated my unit this morning and just went out and drove to a cache location. NO approaching screen!! Love it!!! However, (there always is one, its there <_< ) This IS a BETA software version and updating might induce other problems. However, for me, the risk is worth it to get rid of that stupid screen.

I am running a 2.92 beta on one of my units and I still get the " Arriving Nag Screen " in all of it's full blown nagging glory.

Hitting the enter button gets rid of it immediately, however, I wonder how many " Enter Buttons " I will wear out before they Nag screen is modified or eliminated.

I don't recalling it popping up unless I am routing to it on road. For other uses I have the notifications off and use the map screen for the pointer and distance -- and I usually switch from street routing long before I get to the cache location. But given the way my buttons seem to be wearing, it will not take long to wear at least the black coloring out.

Edited by mulvaney

I don't know if anyone is still following this, but here is a little update. The new and "improved" beta 2.95 was released earlier this month and I loaded this onto my 62t. The pop-up alert was back in full force. I had forgotten how truly annoying that screen is. I went back to the beta 2.92 and now its gone. Guess I'm going to stay with beta 2.92 for a long time.

I didn't have the notification on version 2.94 but I have it on 2.95. I queried the same concern recently on this forum and got some good advice. First, the device is telling you you're at GZ so start looking for the cache and forget about the screen. Second, the screen goes away on it's on after about 10 seconds or get used to pressing enter to clear it.

I just bought a 62S yesterday and found only one cache yesterday with it. Stupid screen popped up. I'm running version 2.90 and don't see a way to shut this stupid nag screen off. Can someone give me details on how to shut it off? Seems some people don't get it. Very annoying....

I just bought a 62S yesterday and found only one cache yesterday with it. Stupid screen popped up. I'm running version 2.90 and don't see a way to shut this stupid nag screen off. Can someone give me details on how to shut it off? Seems some people don't get it. Very annoying....

I've had my 62s for awhile now and I upgraded to every beta version that came along with 2.95 being the latest. To be honest, I liked 2.94 the best. That version didn't have the proximity alarm and , maybe it's just me, but I think the "sticky" issue was virtually non-existent in 2.94 but it seems to be back in this latest version. What are others noticing? Is there a way for me to go back to 2.94? Can I choose the version I want?

HanVroon, thanks for the link. I had saved the Beta2.92 file and that was how I was able to go back to that version. I think I'll try the Beta2.94. Below is the list of changes Garmin list being made from 2.94 to 2.95. I think it was the last item that put the pop-up screen back on. If people don't have problem with the pop-up then keep it, but I hate it. I can tell I', approaching the cache by looking at the "distance to" value, I don't need this and it gets in the way when I'm trying to figure out where to park.

Changes made from version 2.94 to 2.95:

Fixed issues relating to WAAS performance.

Fixed issue where the device would not regain a GPS signal after losing the GPS signal in a tunnel.

Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs.

Fixed issue where proximity waypoint alerts could only be set in feet regardless of what was selected as a Distance/Speed unit in the setup page.

Fixed an issue where the enabled/disabled option for custom maps could not be changed when two or more BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery providers were on the device.

Fixed an issue where the device would not beep when approaching a destination while routing off-road.

Edited by Sierra Rat

One more issue while I'm on my little soapbox. I have noticed that the battery life on the 62 is considerably shorter on the 62 as compared to the 60. I believe this is due, in part, to the fact that on the 60 you could completely turn off the background display light while on the 62 you can only limit it to 15 seconds. While this is not a lot of time, over the course of the day a 15 second display every time you push a button will shorten the battery life significantly. I have e-mailed Garmin and asked that in a future update that they include the ability to completely turn off the background display light.

***UPDATE** I got an e-mail back from the Garmin Team on this. They "reminded" me that all I have to do is tap the power button when the unit is on and move the brightness slider all the way to the left. This effectively turns to background display light off. I appreciate their quick response to my query.

Edited by Sierra Rat