Crackberry cachin'

I have a crackberry. I would much rather have an iPhone  but that won't happen for a while. (it's  long story). I'm stuck with it. What is the best way to cache with a blackberry.  Right now I get notifications on it but I have to open the email,open the cache page (after I put my password in AGAIN) and finally get the coords which I then put into my GPSr.... Please tell me there is an easier way to cache with my crackberry.  

I have a crackberry. I would much rather have an iPhone  but that won't happen for a while. (it's  long story). I'm stuck with it. What is the best way to cache with a blackberry.  Right now I get notifications on it but I have to open the email,open the cache page (after I put my password in AGAIN) and finally get the coords which I then put into my GPSr.... Please tell me there is an easier way to cache with my crackberry.  

Not sure why the desire to downgrade to the iphone, however to use your BB take a look at Cachemate.

If you are going to be in an area where you don't have internet access on your phone, your best bet is probably BlackStar.

If you will be able to get a signal, then the Trimble Geocache Navigator. It's a bit pricey at $19.99, but in my opinion it's worth it. It's great to have in your phone for those times when you have a few minutes to kill and start wondering if there are any caches nearby. Important Note: Check pricing and read the fine print before downloading! My BlackBerry was on Sprint, and if I bought the app through the Sprint store, it was $5 EVERY MONTH. But through BlackBerry App World, it was strictly a one-time purchase with no subscription fee. They run sales, sometimes, too... I only paid $9.99 for it.

BlackStar has a bit of a steeper learning curve, but works great and is free.

I guess the first question is does your BB have built in GPS?

If it does any application that allows you to download PQ's to it will work but you won't be able to look for caches not currently on your device when you are out of range of your service.

If it doesn't then a bluetooth GPS will fix that and you are good to go.

When it comes to changing phones you might want to look at the Droids as they are the number one seller in the US market. I use a Droid x and download the PQ's to it directly from the GC site so if I am out of service range (which is rare but I do go to some remote areas) I just use them and the built in GPS.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I have read through these post. I have a Blackberry. I downloaded CacheSense a couple of weeks ago. I STILL can't get it to work. Today, I downloaded Geocache Navigator. It doesn't work either. It keeps trying to find my location...nothing beyond that. Suggestions? Help??? Thank you!

Edited by Scouter Mom

Cachesense is very, very good. The latest version is excellent, especially paired with a premium GC membership. You can load your PQs right to the device without even touching a PC. With GPX files, you see the size, description, smileys, terrain, difficulty and have access to the last several logs. If my BB was a little more rugged, I would use it exclusively. As it is, its very good for grabbing a few on a trip, or going for a FTF.

Thanx everyone for pointing me towards CacheSense...

Here is exactly what I was looking for:

"Open from the Web: You can download individual caches by browsing to the cache web page on geocaching.com and clicking the “GPX Exchange File” button, the cache will be automatically loaded into CacheSense. This function is especially useful when you receive alert emails from geocaching.com"

I wanted something to work with my notifications. If you want an FTF around here, every minute counts :anibad:

Not sure why the desire to downgrade to the iphone, however to use your BB take a look at Cachemate.

I have a BB and was planning to UPGRADE to an Iphone. I would be happy to hear why I shouldn't. I'm not trying to get people to argue over which one is better. It just looks like the Iphone4 offers a lot more than my BB Curve.

Arguing about phones is like arguing about who is the greatest Football (insert any other sport) player of all time. It is never settled and it is what keeps bars profitable.

That being said I had BB's for over a decade, dumped the Storm 2 for Droid X and have been joyously happy since. It is the most amazing device I have ever had (and yes I am a bit geekish). The android operating system has taken the US by storm as it is now the number one selling OS. There has to be a reason for that. That latest BB tries to imitate the iPhone and Droid's and wasn't developed until the flood of people started leaving them when Verizon started their Droid's. The flood didn't start until then because the only iPhone is with AT&T which (according to Consumer Reports) has the worst network in the US and actually suffered a decrease in satisfaction last year over the previous. The only service to have that happen.

I have a BB and was planning to UPGRADE to an Iphone. I would be happy to hear why I shouldn't. I'm not trying to get people to argue over which one is better. It just looks like the Iphone4 offers a lot more than my BB Curve.

All depends on what "more" you are looking for, iPhone has more games, more apps, more music.

Black Berry has more security, more features to organize your life, a true keyboard for quicker typing.

I use a blackberry because I own a business and part of a second one, when "Suzy Soccer Mom" asks me why she should get a BB over a iPhone I tell her she shouldn't. But when one of my clients who also owns a business asks me I can sit down and tell them.

No one can tell you what Smart Phone, GPS, Car, etc., is right for you unless you tell them who you are. This is why I always laugh when I walk in a chain store and the sales droid starts telling me which model of something is best for me, but never asks what I am going to do with it.

Edited by KI4HLW

All depends on what "more" you are looking for, iPhone has more games, more apps, more music.

Black Berry has more security, more features to organize your life, a true keyboard for quicker typing.

I use a blackberry because I own a business and part of a second one, when "Suzy Soccer Mom" asks me why she should get a BB over a iPhone I tell her she shouldn't. But when one of my clients who also owns a business asks me I can sit down and tell them.

No one can tell you what Smart Phone, GPS, Car, etc., is right for you unless you tell them who you are. This is why I always laugh when I walk in a chain store and the sales droid starts telling me which model of something is best for me, but never asks what I am going to do with it.

Thanks for your reply. It looks like I'll be upgrading to the Verizon Iphone4 on 2/3/2011. Thanks again.

I have read through these post. I have a Blackberry. I downloaded CacheSense a couple of weeks ago. I STILL can't get it to work. Today, I downloaded Geocache Navigator. It doesn't work either. It keeps trying to find my location...nothing beyond that. Suggestions? Help??? Thank you!

Try posting on the CacheSense forums. The program author (Bruce) is very responsive.

Thanks for your reply. It looks like I'll be upgrading to the Verizon Iphone4 on 2/3/2011. Thanks again.

No problem, I'm not a zealous so I tend to give it to people pretty straight. What is best for me is not best for you. That said... I've had a personal BB for 4 years now but I once had an old job give me an iPhone for a year... I set up my Personal BB to get my work mail so I could actually type a decent response to someone, the spellchecker of the iPhone almost caused its untimely demise out a car window or into an office wall on a few occasions. It is not very friendly to industries that use uncommon terms, and assumes you want to be corrected instead of asking.

My Brother, who had worked as a cellular sales rep (government/business) was tired of his BB 2 months ago (after almost 6 years) and wanted an iPhone, I wanted to change to AT&T for the BB Torch anyways so we moved the company account over and got new phones. He brought the iPhone back in 3 weeks, but still wanted a different phone so he bought an android off a friend and went back to the old carrier. Today he tells me he is thinking of coming back to AT&T to get a BB Torch because he can't get anything done.

Oh, I should add: One of my businesses.... an iPhone repair store.

Edited by KI4HLW

No problem, I'm not a zealous so I tend to give it to people pretty straight. What is best for me is not best for you. That said... I've had a personal BB for 4 years now but I once had an old job give me an iPhone for a year... I set up my Personal BB to get my work mail so I could actually type a decent response to someone, the spellchecker of the iPhone almost caused its untimely demise out a car window or into an office wall on a few occasions. It is not very friendly to industries that use uncommon terms, and assumes you want to be corrected instead of asking.

My Brother, who had worked as a cellular sales rep (government/business) was tired of his BB 2 months ago (after almost 6 years) and wanted an iPhone, I wanted to change to AT&T for the BB Torch anyways so we moved the company account over and got new phones. He brought the iPhone back in 3 weeks, but still wanted a different phone so he bought an android off a friend and went back to the old carrier. Today he tells me he is thinking of coming back to AT&T to get a BB Torch because he can't get anything done.

Oh, I should add: One of my businesses.... an iPhone repair store.

I have had my new iPhone4 for over a week now and absolutely love it. I do miss a couple of the features my 2 BB's had but the features the iPhone has more than make up for it. It's obvious that you have different feelings. I doubt very seriously that I will ever go back to a BB unless they make some major improvements.

Thanks for all your comments. I just thought it was only fair to tell you my experiences and feelings about BB and iPhone4. Will I feel this same way a year from now, only time will tell.