Souvenirs

narwal_tusk

I like the idea of souvenirs. Up till now it seems that I get one from different geographic areas such as Canadian Provinces (I have 2) and States of the US (I have one). Does anyone know if there is one for France? I was in France in November 2010. Country souvenirs would be nice but as I write this it occurs to me that I haven't received a Canada or a United States souvenir.

I like the idea of souvenirs. Up till now it seems that I get one from different geographic areas such as Canadian Provinces (I have 2) and States of the US (I have one). Does anyone know if there is one for France? I was in France in November 2010. Country souvenirs would be nice but as I write this it occurs to me that I haven't received a Canada or a United States souvenir.

A souvenir does not yet exist for France, nor is there a country souvenir for the US or Canada.

This thread is updated everytime a new souvenir is released. The first post in the thread is *supposed* to contain the list of all souvenirs but it hasn't been updated in awhile. Look at the later posts in the thread to see the latest souvenirs.

There is also a separate souvenirs section on the Feedback site here:

The Feedback site has been used to accept suggestions for new souvenirs and country based souvenirs which have received the most votes are been worked on and released periodically (about once a week Groundspeak releases a small batch). It might seem odd that the only country souvenirs that have been released so far are for the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Portugal, and Poland, but those are the countries that received the most votes. Looking at the current top vote getters for country based souvenirs are:

Finland

Austria

Hungary

Ireland

United Kingdom

Netherlands

Spain

Italy

France has received fewer votes than all those countries, so if you want to see one for France (I've also found a few caches there) you should go to the Feedback site and vote for it.

Thanks everyone. I guess the list needs a bit of updating then...no Canadian provinces listed in the new references. I do understand a bit more though. Thanks for the references and the explanations. I like the souvenir idea and over time it would be cool to see a more and more geographic ones....

Cheers to all....

Thanks everyone. I guess the list needs a bit of updating then...no Canadian provinces listed in the new references. I do understand a bit more though. Thanks for the references and the explanations. I like the souvenir idea and over time it would be cool to see a more and more geographic ones....

Cheers to all....

There have been Canadian provinces added to the list that is referenced in NYPaddleCacher's reply....but, as he noted, the original post in that list of souvenirs isn't updated constantly.

A souvenir does not yet exist for France, nor is there a country souvenir for the US or Canada.

This thread is updated everytime a new souvenir is released. The first post in the thread is *supposed* to contain the list of all souvenirs but it hasn't been updated in awhile. Look at the later posts in the thread to see the latest souvenirs.

If you scroll down the posts in the announcement thread found at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264608, you will see the additions of Canadian provincial souvenirs:

Posted 13 January 2011

US States:

Nevada

West Virginia

Canadian Province, per Feedback Site:

Ontario

Posted 19 January 2011

US States:

Nebraska

Colorado

Quebec

Posted 20 January 2011

US States:

North Dakota

South Dakota

Nova Scotia

Since I discovered these forum last week, I am growing in amazement with this whole Geocaching adventure. It is probably the best web supported activity I have ever seen and by the looks of the feedback exchanges, it is just going to get better and better. That's why it surprised me that the list of souvenirs isn't updated regularly and is not part of the Souvenirs link on the front end. But given the exchanges I have seen in other parts of the forum, I am sure it will come. Given the mods they are working on to make the activity of geocaching that much more efficient, thanks to the cachers that replied I now know where to look to keep track and I am ok with that.

At the price of a premium membership.... we are getting incredible value for our money.

Since I discovered these forum last week, I am growing in amazement with this whole Geocaching adventure. It is probably the best web supported activity I have ever seen and by the looks of the feedback exchanges, it is just going to get better and better. That's why it surprised me that the list of souvenirs isn't updated regularly and is not part of the Souvenirs link on the front end. But given the exchanges I have seen in other parts of the forum, I am sure it will come. Given the mods they are working on to make the activity of geocaching that much more efficient, thanks to the cachers that replied I now know where to look to keep track and I am ok with that.

At the price of a premium membership.... we are getting incredible value for our money.

Souvenirs are a relatively new addition to the site and has certainly had it's share of growing pains. Typically the website doesn't not link to the forums site. They're different sites as is the Feedback system. Some clarification on terminology. "The mods" are volunteers (though their contributions were solicited by Groundspeak, the company that runs all the geocaching.com related sites) that only moderate the forums. Reviewers are also volunteers and like "the mods" are not employees of Groundspeadk but are just geocachers like your or I but typically have been involved with the game for a long time. Employees of Groundspeak are typically referred to as "lackeys" and Jeremy is the head lackey.

Thanks again nypaddlecacher. Thanks for the background. I like to know this kind of stuff. One of my next questions was going to be one on exactly what is a lackey? Strange designation but.... When I referring to "The mods" I wasn't referring to people. I was referring to all the modifications to the Geocaching tools that they appear to be working on as a result of the Feedback system. Everything is already great and the tools are going to get even better. I am not sure how my name will appear on this reply. I changed it yesterday to narwal_tusk instead on narwhale. My misspelling was starting to both me, and since I have a couple in the basement, and narwal was already in use,,,, and by the way I live in Ontario Canada and one of my souvenirs is from NY. My first solo find was around Saranac Lake.

Thanks again nypaddlecacher. Thanks for the background. I like to know this kind of stuff. One of my next questions was going to be one on exactly what is a lackey? Strange designation but.... When I referring to "The mods" I wasn't referring to people. I was referring to all the modifications to the Geocaching tools that they appear to be working on as a result of the Feedback system. Everything is already great and the tools are going to get even better. I am not sure how my name will appear on this reply. I changed it yesterday to narwal_tusk instead on narwhale. My misspelling was starting to both me, and since I have a couple in the basement, and narwal was already in use,,,, and by the way I live in Ontario Canada and one of my souvenirs is from NY. My first solo find was around Saranac Lake.

It's showing up as narwal_tusk now.

I've been geocaching for four years and although I've found caches in 11 different countries I still have crossed the border (about 2.5 hours from here) and found one in Canada.

Does anyone know.......do you get a souvenir for any Mega event that you attend now, or there 'selected' Mega events that get souvenirs?

thanx

Souvenirs are created for specific Mega events. Here is the list of Mega Events for which souvenirs have been created:

Mega Events

* Geowoodstock VIII

* Mega Scotland

* 2010 BSA Jamboree

* Midwest Geobash 2010

* West Bend $1000 Cache Ba$h

* Geocoinfest 2010

Although the creation of new souvenirs have been put on the backburner I suspect there will be one for GeoWoodstock IX which will be held in Warren, PA, on July 2nd (there are associated events before and after the main event).

Anyone know how to add the Souvenirs to your profile? I suspect there is a place to go and Lord knows people are always happy to tell me where to go, so please, speak up! Thanks!! :rolleyes:

It is in your account details/change... you need to copy the location of the souvenir to the source area of your profile.

ummm...I see you have nothing currently....you can start there....add something to your profile...

Edited by alohabra

I hope I am right in asking this here, but I do need an answer. I logged a cache via a incorrect GC# that I wrote down and did not notice that it was in a different state until the unlocked California souvenir popped up. I have deleted the log and any trackable visits that I put in but the souvenir remains.

I do not deserve this souvenir and would only like to get it when I actually go to California in a year or so. Who would I speak to about this?

I hope I am right in asking this here, but I do need an answer. I logged a cache via a incorrect GC# that I wrote down and did not notice that it was in a different state until the unlocked California souvenir popped up. I have deleted the log and any trackable visits that I put in but the souvenir remains.

I do not deserve this souvenir and would only like to get it when I actually go to California in a year or so. Who would I speak to about this?

I don't think there's any way you can delete your unwanted accidental souvenir yourself. If you send an email to the lackeys at Groundspeak I think they can remove it for you: contact@geocaching.com

MrsB

The Feedback site has been used to accept suggestions for new souvenirs and country based souvenirs which have received the most votes are been worked on and released periodically (about once a week Groundspeak releases a small batch). It might seem odd that the only country souvenirs that have been released so far are for the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Portugal, and Poland, but those are the countries that received the most votes. Looking at the current top vote getters for country based souvenirs are:

Finland

Austria

Hungary

Ireland

United Kingdom

Netherlands

Spain

Italy

France has received fewer votes than all those countries, so if you want to see one for France (I've also found a few caches there) you should go to the Feedback site and vote for it.

Any news about Souvenirs for these countries among others. In former Feedback site Finland Souvernir were one of the most wanted and I'm just intrested to know a bit more of the situation. When these are planned?

Finland

Austria

Hungary

Ireland

United Kingdom

Netherlands

Spain

Italy

Any news about Souvenirs for these countries among others. In former Feedback site Finland Souvernir were one of the most wanted and I'm just intrested to know a bit more of the situation. When these are planned?

Nope, no news. I can't seem to find the link right now but there a bunch of souvenir artwork images on flickr for many country based souvenirs not yet released. They included countries all over the world and some you might not expect to see (Ethiopia). I wish they would start releasing souvenirs again. I've found caches in 13 different countries and don't have any "country specific" souvenirs (though I have many for U.S. States and one for a "state" in Germany).

Hello,

I have read that you can vote for souvenirs, but I do not find this page. Can someone post the link?

I'm not aware of such a page. Can you tell us where you read about this?

In this thread, post #2

That post just links to the UserVoice site, which went away quite some time ago. I assumed hellgirl* read about the voting somewhere other than this thread.

Finland

Austria

Hungary

Ireland

United Kingdom

Netherlands

Spain

Italy

Nope, no news. I can't seem to find the link right now but there a bunch of souvenir artwork images on flickr for many country based souvenirs not yet released. They included countries all over the world and some you might not expect to see (Ethiopia). I wish they would start releasing souvenirs again. I've found caches in 13 different countries and don't have any "country specific" souvenirs (though I have many for U.S. States and one for a "state" in Germany).