GeoJacking?

A couple of years ago a bunch of caches in my area were hit by the "Geocaching Pirates", who would destroy the caches and leave a note indicating they took the cache and everything in it.

Well, due to some ingenuity, some careful planning, and a stroke of luck, we figured out who they were. (I won't give details, in case they read these forums!).

After figuring out who they were (local teenagers), I contacted their parents. Yes, you heard that right, I got in touch with the Geo Pirates' mommies.

I even went to the house of one of them, and confronted the parent about her son's actions, and took back all the stuff he had stolen from the local caches.

I'm sorry I have to leave our most of the details, since it's a good story, but I don't want to give the bad guys any information on how to avoid detection. :lol:

Unfortunately, this stuff happens everywhere.

rcandmoonpie,

I thought to come search as well because this really bugs me. Yours and several others have gone missing in the past several days. I am pretty sure that teens are doing this because "jacking" is a term that I have heard from young folks. Not many adults use that term. So...if this keeps up, we need to get together with a few of the others who live around there and come up with a plan to stop it.

A couple of years ago a bunch of caches in my area were hit by the "Geocaching Pirates", who would destroy the caches and leave a note indicating they took the cache and everything in it.

Well, due to some ingenuity, some careful planning, and a stroke of luck, we figured out who they were. (I won't give details, in case they read these forums!).

After figuring out who they were (local teenagers), I contacted their parents. Yes, you heard that right, I got in touch with the Geo Pirates' mommies.

I even went to the house of one of them, and confronted the parent about her son's actions, and took back all the stuff he had stolen from the local caches.

I'm sorry I have to leave our most of the details, since it's a good story, but I don't want to give the bad guys any information on how to avoid detection. :lol:

Unfortunately, this stuff happens everywhere.

Very curious, however belatedly. :) Can you PM me the story, with details? I swear I'm not a Geopirate! :)

I put ten caches out for one of my events. The caches came online the day before after dark. A cacher did go out and get all 10 caches that night. By 7AM 7 of the 10 caches were gone. The ones that were not taken were ones they could not find. They did spray paint a nastygram on one of the hollow trees that was a decoy.

I put ten caches out for one of my events. The caches came online the day before after dark. A cacher did go out and get all 10 caches that night. By 7AM 7 of the 10 caches were gone. The ones that were not taken were ones they could not find. They did spray paint a nastygram on one of the hollow trees that was a decoy.

That is ridiculous. Stuff like this has me hesitant to put out my own caches, especially in an urban area. Luckily I've yet to see much talk of things like this in Arkansas.

I'd be interested in hearing that story too Max. PM me if you can share privately. I have several finds and one hide (well, other people mentioned it so why not lol).

Speaking of which, my one hide was stolen back in January or so. Truthfully, I'm more surprised it lasted as long as it did because many of the finders (I'm not telling this out of any hostility or anything--just as a factual observation) didn't hide it back the way it should and left the magnetic keyholder out in the open where anyone could see it. Only painting a sign reading "HERE I AM!" would have made it more obvious. It was at a park in/on a tree and it just so happens soccer equipment was set up. So I'm guessing one of these happened: 1) park employee(s) saw it and threw it away/took it home (2) an adult saw it and said "Hey, I could use a magnetic keyholder!" and there it went or (3) a kid saw it while playing.

Oh well. It wasn't too hard to replace but still sucked.

And then just a few days ago, I had someone post on my Youtube vlog (hey, I enjoy it) saying they were a cache maggot and enjoyed going around stealing caches because it made people like me so butthurt over it (apparently, someone calmly talking about something in a no big deal way is "butt hurt") and then proceeded to call me a....well, let's just say a derogatory word for gay people that somewhat rhymes with "rabbit" (you can figure it out).

I gave him no reaction he obviously wanted, blocked him, and moved on with my life. Unfortunately, it does happen. Sorry about yours going missing. Hopefully it won't happen again or if it does, it won't be for a long time.

rhymes with "rabbit" .

Speaking of rabbits... The other day I went to check on my cache and low and behold it was jacked. All that was left was the lock and lock. After replacing the container with a few trinkets I thought I'd go check out another cache that was nearby. Passing through a meadow I spotted out of the corner of my eye a little white rabbit. Now I know the park has an abundance of wild creatures but this little fella didn't belong. I walked right up to him and he didn't even flinch. Obviously someone had dumped their pet in the park. couldn't just leave him there, he'd be easy prey for dogs, cats, raccoons, birds of prey and hungry homeless people. So, I scooped him up and brought him home with me. Unfortunately I already have 4 cats and 3 dogs and just can't handle another pet right now so, if anyone is interested in adopting this little bunny, send me a message. Located in the Bronx, NY.

kittkerabbit.jpg

If I had this problem, I'd set up a new one with a trail camera hidden nearby and get proof of it and post the pictures for everyone to see. A thief is a theif. A cache today, your shed/garage tomorrow.

Not a bad idea. I saw some trail cameras on sale at Gander Mtn. the other day. Hmm...

If I had this problem, I'd set up a new one with a trail camera hidden nearby and get proof of it and post the pictures for everyone to see. A thief is a theif. A cache today, your shed/garage tomorrow.

Not a bad idea. I saw some trail cameras on sale at Gander Mtn. the other day. Hmm...

Until the thief takes your trail camera.

Until the thief takes your trail camera.

There are ways to deal with things like that. I have used about $20,000 worth of trail cameras in my graduate research and securing them was a big task. I lost 8 out of 62 over the course of my research.

However, oftentimes hiding trail cameras is a more effective deterrent. However, IMO, hiding trail cameras from people is more difficult than hiding a geocache.