Garmin 76csx takes MicroSDHC?

chuckr30

I think the 76csx is the marine version of the 60csx. If it is then it should be able to take Micro SDHC as the 60csx now can as the the feature was added in a firmware update. I use a 4GB Kingston Micro SDHC in my 60csx without any problems. I have heard that it will support up to 16gb but there is not point going over 4GB as a single map cannot be larger than 4GB as the card is formatted as FAT and a single file therefore cannot exceed 4GB and all the maps are stored in a single .img file. The only way to be sure is to try it or try and find someone else with the same unit who has tried it. Good luck getting it to work. :)

Mako,

Are you sure about that? I bought my 76csx new in 2005. Was SDHC even around back then?

I don't believe it was around then but the 60csx was released in 2006 I believe and support for SDHC was added later in a firmware update. I believe the hardware is the same for SD or SDHC, it is just how it is interpreted/read by the device that is different meaning that support could be added with a firmware update. I do not know if it is the same for the 76csx but I would have thought that it would be. I can't find anything in the user manual for either GPS that says a maximum card size or specific type of card.

Edited by Mako-Shark

Ok. I have the most recent firmware I updated it today. So I will plug in the card and turn the unit on, and see what happens.

This involves removing the 128mb card that is in there. I hope nothing important is there. I don't care if I lose track logs, geocaches, or anything else.

Ok. I have the most recent firmware I updated it today. So I will plug in the card and turn the unit on, and see what happens.

This involves removing the 128mb card that is in there. I hope nothing important is there. I don't care if I lose track logs, geocaches, or anything else.

Don't worry about losing anything as on these units the only thing that is stored on the SD card is the maps and optionally a copy of the tracklogs although these can only be used with a computer and not on the GPS. The option to store a copy of the tracklog is designed so that you can have a complete record of all your tracks that is only limited by memory card size. I use this to just record everywhere I go so that I can look back at it on my computer. Hope the card works. The worst case scenario is that the GPS just doesn't recognise it so don't worry about damaging your GPS or anything.