Unpleasant Caches

Hampk

I had the (mis)fortune to find a cache this afternoon that had been carefully concealed behind one of those red bins into which dog walkers deposit their pets' deposits..

Now I know I didn't need to find this cache; in fact discretion might have been the best option, but I was wondering whether this wins the prise for the most unpleasant cache anyone's done - or can you beat it?!?

This is where an honest well written log can be worth their weight in gold in educating cache owners. I have found caches in locations where a cache could have been hidden in a more suitable location.

Sometimes a little education in a good log may get them to find a better location. Also a reminder about the diseases that can be caught from dog doo may make them think about a new location.

I spent a lot of time looking for one that ended up not being there (and was subsequently archived) that was behind one of those public loos that cost 20p to enter. In theory that shouldn't have mattered but I think generally people couldn't be bothered to pay the 20p when they could just go against the wall. You know, the wall with the cache in it. Blech.

I think te worst cache we ever did was hidden under the waste bin outside McDonalds in Burnley. It was very difficult to extract so we ended up lying full length on the ground poking the cache out from underneath the bin with a long stick in full view of the cars queuing up at the drive-by counter. We even had offers to help find what we had lost! And it was raining......

I would put a polite but frank needs maintenance log on the cache page. Or if you don't want to be so public, PM the owner.

Worst I have found was a nano in a phone box on a well known drug dealing corner. Aside from the used condoms and syringes in the area, I felt there was a risk to visitors just from undesirables who loiter in the area selling coke and the girls who solicit there too. You wouldn't want to be stopped by the police looking furtive in this particular spot!

I didn't even look for it, but I did contact the owner and highlight them my concerns. They only visited the area during the day when it was reasonably safe - they didn't know about the evening activities that took place there and appreciated being told.

I had the (mis)fortune to find a cache this afternoon that had been carefully concealed behind one of those red bins into which dog walkers deposit their pets' deposits..

Now I know I didn't need to find this cache; in fact discretion might have been the best option, but I was wondering whether this wins the prise for the most unpleasant cache anyone's done - or can you beat it?!?

I found one in the far corner of a station car park - a film pot buried under a pile of accumulated rubbish. The only reason I even bothered to look for it was because I'd made it out that far and I was wearing old clothes that didn't matter if they got dirty.

Another one (since archived) was something magnetic attached to a fence, low down. The trouble was the fence was about 100 yards long so the cache could have been just about anywhere, and the area was overgrown with brambles and nettles.

You can't beat a cache within a couple of yards of a dog poo bin, hidden behind one of those crinkly steel fences so that you have to bend down and slowly grope your way along, possibly on your knees ... on a boiling hot day so that the aroma is intense ...

And I think, why am I doing this?

Just yesterday we looked for a cache in a rural area, but did not find it. However, about 40 feet from GZ we found what appeared to be an area where large birds are slaughtered. It was an awful site, and my son and I decided to not tell the others what we had seen for fear my daughter would never get over the sight.

There were bloody and torn-apart carcasses, a pile of about 500 feathers, and some kind of contraption of which we're not even sure was related to what we saw.

I did log what I saw, to warn other families not to bring their kids there, but my log was deleted. I would certainly have preferred to know about this before deciding to take my family there to find the cache. Those logs are important.

I've read a log on a cache pages where a cacher has accidentally jabbed themselves with a used syringe. From some of the logs it seems like the area must be used by an addict every now and then. That's one smiley I won't be attempting to get :blink: I guess you have to be that little bit more vigilant with some caches.