Protocol - Logging a DNF, then finding it next time

Rckhnd

This is the concern, I logged a DNF, then found it on a later trip.

So, would the proper thing be to delete the previous DNF or leave it even after logging later as having been found.

I did this once already, then started seeing all the negative sentiments about those who do not log DNFs.

I found one today that I couldn't find weeks ago, but thought it better to find out what is the protocol, if any, about deleting the first log.

As far as my profile goes, If I have a DNF, I will not let it go until I find it unless it's been muggled or something. But it's hard to have that big blue face staring at me, taunting me... I want to eliminate them and replace them with the Golden Smiley.

...so what's up? Is it okay to delete the DNF log once it's been found?

Last week i was in the area of a cache (GCGQ51) that i knew had a long string of DNFs. So i went to check it out for myself. The area was quite nice and gave me a story to tell. So i logged my interesting DNF then logged a NA. It had been about 6 months since it was missing. Now the cache has been temporarily disabled to see if the CO replaces it. Heck the area was so nice i gave it a Favorite point. Even though it may be archived in a couple of weeks. If it is archived i may use the spot for my first cache.

I have modified a DNF once. In that case i was still the last one to log so i edited the DNF to include the more recent DNF.

I log all my DNF's when I make the first search for the cache. If I return again and don't find it, I still have the original DNF as my marker, unless the cache has been found after my first search. If it has, then I'll log another DNF for my next attempt(s).

I echo the above posts, the DNF's are important to the CO for keeping track of difficulty and possibly problems. If they keep an eye on their hides, this should give them a clue if something has gone amiss and gives them an opportunity to correct any problems before they get worse. My hides are fairly close to my home, and after a log that was out of the ordinary I checked on my hide and found it damaged from it's original set up. I was able to quickly fix the problem and restore the hide for the next cacher. :)

I also keep a list of my DNF's, check on them from time to time. If it has been found after my DNF log, I make it a point to give that one another go as soon as I can to change that sad face to a smiley. :) I call it my 'personal cache grudge list'. lol

As far as my profile goes, If I have a DNF, I will not let it go until I find it unless it's been muggled or something. But it's hard to have that big blue face staring at me, taunting me... I want to eliminate them and replace them with the Golden Smiley.

I used to feel that way, but I find that some of the DNFs I've had were not worth looking for in the first place.

Most of the time I like to go back and clear up a DNF, either when someone finds it, or if it was gone, the CO fixes it.

Sometimes the DNF is because the spot is not a great one, and the cache keeps disappearing, or the area is just a trash heap not worth looking through. I no longer let that big blue face taunt me. If my DNF was on a cache NWF, (Not worth finding) I just let it go.

I do not change my original DNF though when I do finally find one. Just give it a new log.

Leave the DNF and then log a find if you eventually find it. And log more DNFs if you try again and strike out. We've logged as many as 4 DNFs on the same cache each time we tried to find it (there were other finds between my attempts). In this case, we knew the CO and we could just imagine him snickering (good naturedly)at my failed attempts, because we try to write fun logs for the CO about our trials and tribulations. Especially after he gave us a hint and we still couldn't find the darned thing. All good fun!

Like BlueDeuce said, our DNF stories are often better than the finds.

So what about a DNF on a cache that was muggled and missing...I don't think its fair to have the DNF on my DNF list that I had no chance of finding..

But you looked and Did Not Find the cache - right?? So why would a DNF be wrong?? It isn't a demerit - just a statement of fact. Part of your caching history and the history of the cache.

So what about a DNF on a cache that was muggled and missing...I don't think its fair to have the DNF on my DNF list that I had no chance of finding..

Your looking at DNF as a negative stat and its not. Its not a hit on your caching ability. In fact a DNF holds all sorts of valuable information. If there is a long string of them on a cache it warns other cachers to not go for it. It tells the CO that they may need to check on the cache and make corrections. If there are allot of DNFs and you confirm it then you could log a NA and get the cache removed.