CITO Event - TREE PLANT?

Since when has a Tree Plant Activity become a CITO Event? There has been at least one CITO - Tree Plant Event published lately?

This is what is stated in the cache guidelines:

"The CITO event cache category was added to differentiate cleanup events from other types of event caches. Use this category when you are asking geocachers to show up on a particular day to pick up litter at a park, remove piles of junk near a popular waterfront, etc."

This is even stated in the section on "CITO Program".

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cito

There is no mention about Tree Plants in the guidelines for CITO Events.

Several years ago I tried to have a CITO Event which involved a Tree Plant but it was refused by the reviewer.

Edited by jleecollins

Hi jleecollins - CITO events can do any sort of work that the land manager requests. The "etc." covers that.

Here's recent Feedback thread on the topic, with response by a Lackey.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1367513-environmental-cache-type?ref=title

I'm sorry you had a CITO denied in the past.

Perhaps it was a communication problem? A common issue with CITO events generally is that the cache page is written to call cachers to some existing land manager organized event.

In a broader sense, CITO Events have evolved to include several volunteer type activities.

Although trash pick up is by and large the predominant format, I've seen more recent cases that go a bit outside that confined box lately.

Good luck if you decide trying to resubmit something similar, and thanks for pointing out yet another creative aspect of the sport.

Since when has a Tree Plant Activity become a CITO Event? There has been at least one CITO - Tree Plant Event published lately?

This is what is stated in the cache guidelines:

"The CITO event cache category was added to differentiate cleanup events from other types of event caches. Use this category when you are asking geocachers to show up on a particular day to pick up litter at a park, remove piles of junk near a popular waterfront, etc."

This is even stated in the section on "CITO Program".

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cito

There is no mention about Tree Plants in the guidelines for CITO Events.

Several years ago I tried to have a CITO Event which involved a Tree Plant but it was refused by the reviewer.

As the owner of the tree plant you are referring to http://coord.info/GC2MAEJ I'd like to add, we are cleaning up the environment. We are replacing the CO2 with oxygen. If you click on the link entitled CITO program that you posted it states "Cache In Trash Out is an ongoing environmental initiative supported by the worldwide geocaching community". I believe we are doing just that supporting the environment, this is the second year in a row and I intend to keep it going for many more.

I to am sad that your tree plant was rejected, you should consider trying it again its a very rewarding experience with a long lasting legacy.

I still do NOT think a Tree Plant is a CITO events. There is no mention in the guidelines about a tree plant or anything like it. A CITO event is a environment trash clean-up event. Your interpretation just does not cut it for me.

I have been involved with many Tree Plants activities with the Scout - it is a great weekend and lots of fun. We typically planting 1500 to 2000 trees each year.

Several years ago when I tried to have a Tree Plant as a CITO event, it was rejected by the reviewer, even though I mentioned in my notes that my event was modeled after an event in Southern Ontario by a well known geocachers. The reviewer went even as far to state that he probably should not have approved that event.

We did go on to have our event as a regular geocaching event, but we could not mention that a tree plant was involved.

I still do NOT think a Tree Plant is a CITO events. There is no mention in the guidelines about a tree plant or anything like it. A CITO event is a environment trash clean-up event. Your interpretation just does not cut it for me.

So don't go to it.

We did go on to have our event as a regular geocaching event, but we could not mention that a tree plant was involved.

Now THAT's some curious detail :lol:

Perfect place to post this type of topic. However, I still don't get why this is such a BIG DEAL? who cares how it's listed... CITO or not...does it really matter??? This is something good for the environment plain and simple. Things are forever evolving at geocaching.com How about you try listing your own tree planting CITO event again. Doesn't hurt to try and see what happens. Sounds to me like you now agree with the reviewer that rejected your CITO proposal in the first place. Why not be HAPPY that things have changed for the better of the communities that we geocache in.

In April of 2007, I hosted a Tree Planting CITO. If I recall correctly, there was actually some wording about tree planting in the CITO description somewhere on the GC.com site. I don't see it now anymore and I don't know why it would have been removed.

It's unfortunate that your tree planting CITO was turned down by a reviewer. Also unfortunate, is that you are bitter about other tree planting CITOs being listed. You obviously think it's a good idea since you tried it yourself. I would take the issue up with the reviewer and try listing one again, and appeal it if it is denied.

I, for one (and I know there are many others), am looking forward to plugging some more trees into the ground this April at the site of my own tree planting CITO 4 years ago at Snyders Flats :)

Edited by ElectroQTed

My only point in all of this, if we are going to count Tree Plants as CITO Events, lets get it specially put in the Guidelines. It is not there now. The only trash that I have even see taken out in any Tree Plants I have been involved in, is maybe the garbage after any meal we had with it.

I thought palmetto clarified that earlier when they stated that "etc" covers the Tree plant portion and anything else that benefits the environment. Does it really need to be so black & white for you?

Honestly, we worked hard at the last CITO Tree Plant event I attended (in the rain no less) and the good that we did for the environment is just as valuable as picking up garbage. I can assure you that any trash that was in that area was cleared out as well. The carbon footprint we all leave on this earth is trash.

Edited by Ara 'K"

Treknschmidt is not the only cacher in Ontario, Canada to put out a Tree Planting event.

I asked Groundspeak directly and recieved a positive feedback as well as direction to guide my event. ( http://coord.info/GC26X47 )

It works and it is awesome for an event. Trash is one way of helping the environment, but so it planting a tree.

Sad that your event got the can, but don't give up. Try again - cite GS and they'll never bug you.

Cheers and good luck!

I have been involved with many Tree Plants activities with the Scout - it is a great weekend and lots of fun. We typically planting 1500 to 2000 trees each year.

Was your Tree Plant CITO just for geocachers, or were you trying to create an event around the scouts' tree planting activities? That may have been why it was denied, whereas if it was only for geocachers it probably would have been approved.

I agree that maybe the guidelines should be updated to include ideas like tree planting.

I don't think that we need the guidelines to cover every single possibility. This statement I found in the CITO guidelines should do.

"You can organize a larger undertaking and accomplish much more with the help of other people. Contact a land manager or local organization and work with them to determine the needs of the community."

Have fun at your tree planting!