Transferring geocaching founds to another accoount

calatxols

We have a premium member team, Calatxols, (me and my two sons) for a little bit more that a year. Now they want to own they own team (Gerunda's Pinyolets, non-premium now)and the question is:

Due to the fact that all of us have found all the Calatxols found caches, is it possible to copy all that founds (in an automatic way) to the new team (Gerunda's Pinyolets) without loosing them from the original team (Calatxols)?

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Xavier

I doubt there is an automatic way. Unless the site admin has time to make the changes. But you could go and re log all your finds under the new team name. When can log the find just mention the situation and you shouldn't have a problem with COs deleting logs. But if you have a lot of finds that could take a while.

I am a native American English speaker but was never very good at it in school but i'll say this anyway.

"Due to the fact that all of us have found all the Calatxols found caches, is it possible to copy all the finds (in an automatic way) to the new team (Gerunda's Pinyolets) without loosing them from the original team (Calatxols)?"

I may be wrong there but i think the proper word is finds not founds. Don't know why but that just bugged me when i saw it. Like i said i'm not one to talk here but there it is. More times then not i use the wrong word or can't spell. lol

Edited by mpilchfamily

Just something to think about......

several years down the line will the boys want their own account, or be happy as a team forever? THIS is the time to get them their own account, before they accumulate even more finds and then have to do this procedure all over again.

I have 3 kids who geocache and have their own accounts. They are proud of the geocaching names they chose, and not every kid has been to the same caches, so it's a unique record of geocaches for each of them.

I do not know of an automatic way to duplicate finds.

No way to do it automatically, they're going to have to go through and log each one individually.

As above, they might want to have two separate accounts, even if they always cache together now, that might not always be the case. Your call, though, and theirs too of course

Hi,

first of all, thanks to all replys.

About the comment on GSAK, I'm using this software, but I don't know what to do to export the finds. Can you explain me what must I do or where can I find the information (maybe in the GSAK forums?), please?

Best regards

Xavier

You could do it fairly easily with GSAK and the fieldnotes option. A simple macro and you're good to go.

Hi again,

by the way, I think that I used the wrong word (founds) maybe because I have done a mental direct translation from my native language, Catalan. I've learned English by myself and sometimes (a lot of times!) I make spelling mistakes. Thanks for your comment.

Best regards from Girona, Catalonia.

Xavier

There's nothing wrong with your English :) I wish I could learn another language half as well on my own.

There is a GSAK macro that should do the job :

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7946&st=0entry51393

It looks like it tried to compensate for a bug with Groundspeak's time zone, but since Groundspeak has already fixed the bug, it might now make it worse. However, for Spain, it might not make much of a difference. To be safe, try it on a small set of caches (like, say, 5) first to see if it works.

Before running the macro, you may need to filter for only found caches in GSAK.

It's very late over here now (about 2 a.m.) and I'm too tired to try it out. But if you encounter any problem, let me know and I can fix the macro for you.

Take care.

Edited Create Fieldnotes File

Here's the edited file that will allow you to write logs for all of your found caches. The way the original file is setup, it filters out caches that already have logs for them. This way you children can write there own logs for each cache if they choose. You may want to filter like Chrysalides suggested so you can see how it works and to make sure it will work correctly for you.

Edited by bullygoat29

I was looking at that macro. It only creates field notes and not logs. You will then have to go to the field notes section of your profile then Click and log each cache. It does speed up the process but you still have to do each of the 843 caches individually. Sounds like something I would do while watching baseball.

I am thinking people should take note and create separate accounts the first time a child finds a cache.

You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Hi again,

I've finally done all the logs, after a couple of days. All your help has been very useful. The macro has been useful to write the logs and I finally have writen them one on one. But it's finally done.

Thanks a lot for your attention and best regards.

Calatxols