The New Travel Bug "Copy" Tags

NanCycle

I had written this in the New Tb Design topic 2 weeks ago and there have been no comments, so I'm wondering if no one else has noticed, or if no one else cares--

I guess Groundspeak doesn't want us to use the "Copy" tag as a replacement for the original anymore. Is this a ploy to try to sell more TB's?

I was just putting together some new TBs and noticed that the one tag says "Do not keep me! I am a Travel Bug"

but the "Copy" tag says "Keep me! I am a COPY TAG."

If that's what they're going to do, I would just as soon have just one tag, because I'm certainly not going to put out a TB tag that invites the finder to keep it.

I don't need a piece of metal to write the name of the TB on for myself; all the info I need is easily available on the TB page.

To me, the "COPY" tag is just a piece of trash.

I'll stop here, because if I go on anymore, I'll start using bad words that the mods will have to edit.

I am not sure I understand your post. One TB tag goes with the travel bug that you place in caches. It has the tracking number on it so others can log the TB online.

The other tag is for YOU to keep, so you have a duplicate of the tag/number that is attached to the TB. It's for your records, a copy of the number. This is a good thing!

Edited by Max and 99

I understand the OP. I hadn't noticed that...

The Copy Tag is for use if the original TB disappears and the owner wants to send out a replacement. So, having the words "Keep me! I am a COPY TAG" on a tag, attached to a travelling travel bug is not ideal.

Another example of wording that may be misinterpreted, especially by a new cacher. <_<

MrsB

I understand the OP. I hadn't noticed that...

The Copy Tag is for use if the original TB disappears and the owner wants to send out a replacement. So, having the words "Keep me! I am a COPY TAG" on a tag, attached to a travelling travel bug is not ideal.

Another example of wording that may be misinterpreted, especially by a new cacher. <_<

MrsB

OK, I get it! You're talking about the second tag being used as a replacement tag ON a TB. Yep, I can see that someone might think they get to keep it, and that's not good!

Thank you for explaining, MrsB

I had written this in the New Tb Design topic 2 weeks ago and there have been no comments, so I'm wondering if no one else has noticed, or if no one else cares--

I noticed.

Seems to me that if Groundspeak doesn't want to provide a copy tag they should sell give the one tag and leave it at that.

I am not sure I understand your post. One TB tag goes with the travel bug that you place in caches. It has the tracking number on it so others can log the TB online.

The other tag is for YOU to keep, so you have a duplicate of the tag/number that is attached to the TB. It's for your records, a copy of the number. This is a good thing!

As I said, "I don't need a piece of metal to write the name of the TB on for myself; all the info I need is easily available on the TB page." All the Copy tags from the old TBs I have are stuffed in a baggie on a shelf and I never had to get them out to look up the numbers or anything else. The only time I ever got one out was to use it as a replacement for a tag that went missing.

So, it was a good thing, when the Copy tag was useful as a replacement for the original, but with this latest batch of TBs, because I'm certainly not going to attach a TB tag that invites the finder to keep it, IMO, the "COPY" tag is just a piece of trash. If that's what they're going to do, I would rather have just the one tag.

If GS thinks that I'm going to buy another set of tags when the original goes missing, they are wrong, wrong, wrong. But I won't use their Copy tag--I'll just make my own, that doesn't say "Keep me."

To me, the "COPY" tag is just a piece of trash.

The new copy tag has a place to write info. It's a durable memento which can go into a collection, as with any coin, and it stays there, unlost, regardless of how the actual traveler is doing. My cachekinz (and even the fancy Geocoins) have only slips of paper, which I wrote the info onto, where I could fit it. When the coins' stolen, I'll have that little square of cardboard in my collection. When I compare that to a TB Copy tag, guess which looks nicer?

If someone would please give me detailed instructions, I'll be happy to do it.

One easy way is to "upload image" to your Travel Bug page, and just about any TB page will do if you haven't activated the one you're referring to in your OP. Post a link to the TB page, so people can see the picture. Or to get fancier, click the picture while you're editing it on that image upload page, and you'll see the ".jpg" image is in the URL line of the web browser -- copy that URL, and then use the "Insert Image" feature of this forum.

I bought my most recent TB dogtags at the beginning of last year (2010). These were like a "Cachekinz" -- the text is painted onto aluminum. These have "Do not keep me" on BOTH tags. According to the OP, this has changed since. And here's why:

People read "Do not keep me", and were placing their TB with both tags on it. Just a hunch. If so, GC decided to clear up that confusion. :rolleyes:

Here's mine, the copy tag for Box Otter, an adventurous little guy who's now MIA after less than a year:

21fa0eae-70a6-4487-ab4e-4a82bb80680f.jpg

7bcc2cdf-1a53-491a-b4ad-696327a7c52a.jpg

OK, I found the new version: Shop Groundspeak. Click "View Larger Image". It's blurry, but you'll see it says "Keep me". Looks like Groundspeak is one step away from selling just one single tag per order (which is how every other TB dogtag-like thing sold by other companies arrives). Hmm, one tag instead of two... so the price will be... half of what it is now, right? :unsure:

When I release "Ghost of Box Otter", I'm not releasing the Copy Tag with it. I'll make some kind of laminated version of a dogtag (and have spares ready). The text "Do not keep me" isn't exactly working out for me anyway.

Edited by kunarion
On 1/22/2011 at 3:13 PM, NanCycle said:

c739d993-fdc5-49ba-be66-b953f5f68aaf.jpg

Thanks, Kunarion!

Sorry to bring back the dead, but I found this thread because I was amused by the mistake I made today, so I searched for "Keep me! I am a". The TO had taken a copy tag, added "DON'T" before "Keep me!", and scratched out "COPY TAG" and written "TRAVEL BUG", but all I saw at the time was "DON'T TRAVEL", so I thought the TB was meant to be left in the cache. It was only when I went to log the discovery and saw the picture the TO had posted that I figured out what had happened.