11-11-11 Suncatcher

CW88

I've decided on just having 3 coins in the set, which makes at least 60 coins on the reserved list.

Here are the colours for the full set just to give you an idea (1st one is the sample picture I've shown) and will probably have them all antique gold.

full%20set.jpg

And as this coin has quite a bit of meaning behind it and after getting some ideas from other people, I think I will also try to have this coin raise a bit of money for Help for Heroes - which is a charity that supports the wounded British Armed forces servicemen and women. So probably a little bit from each coin will go towards them, and am thinking of maybe having one or two special limited versions of the coin to auction on ebay (where money will be split between Help for Heroes and a remint of some of the coins).

I know it's still a long way away but I got photos of the sample coins and wanted to share them. I started working on these late one night a little after 10-10-10, and after a few days of working on the final touches decided to get the samples done. These wont come out till August/September (so people can get them in time for 11-11-11) but here is the background of the coin.

About the Coin

This coin is being made to celebrate 11-11-11, which also happens to be Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day/Armistice Day/Veterans Day). Remembrance Day is observed in Commonwealth countries on November 11th to recall the official end of World War I in 1918, where the major hostilities of WWI were formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" with the German signing of the Armistice. On this day the Commonwealth countries remember the members of their armed forces who have died on duty since WWI. The red poppy has also become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day, due to the poem In Flanders Fields. These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders during the war.

This coin will measure 2 inches in diameter, with translucent enamels over textured metal, and in the center of the coin will be a suncatcher poppy (see through coloured enamel). Around the back of the coin is part of the poem 'In Flanders Fields' by John McCrae. Also featured on the back are barbed wire spirals (representing the battles/trenches), and crosses surrounded by flowers (representing those who died). The other side of the coin is a compass rose style design surrounded by some of the most common cache type icons, as well as soldiers and 11-11-11… These will all be trackable on www.geocaching.com and will have a custom icon.

There will be 100 of these coins made (maybe more if they are popular) and around 4 different versions.

Still need to work on the final colours and finishes but here is a peek at on side of one of the versions - Once I recieve the samples I'll try and get some better pictures up.

111111goldedtsmll.jpg

Beautiful coin. Please put us on the reservation list, if there is one. Thanks.

We definitely will want a set of these. Very nicely done ;) From the response so far, I have a feeling that you are going to want to make more than just 60-100!

I do have a small suggestion. One the inner rim, on the reverse (I think it's the reverse), you have the word 'ELEVEN' twice, and the date '11-11-11' twice. It isn't a major thing, but I wonder if you might want to change one of the '11-11-11's to an 'ELEVEN'. This would make the words read out 'ELEVEN ELEVEN ELEVEN', which is, of course, what the date is, if read out. Just a thought.

Looking forward to these :anicute:

Around 75 of the 100 are on the reserved list now. And I'll definately try and get more than 100 done.

So far I've only been putting people down for one coin unless they've mentioned wanting the full set in their posts - so if you did want more than one leave another message and I'll correct the reservations sheet.

Around 75 of the 100 are on the reserved list now. And I'll definately try and get more than 100 done.

So far I've only been putting people down for one coin unless they've mentioned wanting the full set in their posts - so if you did want more than one leave another message and I'll correct the reservations sheet.

Just making sure you have me down for a set please.

Thats 88/100 now - unless people who have already posted wanted the full set (then it might be a closer to or over 100).

I'll have at least the 100 coins done around August/September, maybe a bit more if I can afford it. And then will try to get some more done after that.

Or I could set up some pre-sales to get extras made if people really want them, but will let everyone know more about that closer to when they come out.

All the 100 are now reserved (think it's actually a bit over). Will try and make a list to put on here for people to double check if they are on for the right number of coins.

I'll try and make sure all those who have reserved so far get the coins they wanted in the first lot that will be made.

Keep posting if you are interested and the amount you want and I'll add you to the next reservation list.

Here is the reservation list (doesn't include the people from facebook or the people who have emailed me).

If you posted on here and aren't on the list or are down for the wrong amount leave another message and I'll correct it.

Right now I have 108 coins reserved so the people who are down for 2 sets may have to be limited to one set for now.

suncatcher%20reservations.jpg

Edited by CW88

Here is a larger photo of the Red/Yellow version - I'll try and take some close up photos tomorrow to show a bit more of the details.

I'll keep this one as it is but the other 2 will have some small colour changes as well as changing to antique gold.

RYAG.jpg

The limited edition (auction only) version/s are still being worked on, and will keep those a secret for now.