11-11-11 Suncatcher

CW88

I know it's still a long way away but I got photos of the sample coins and wanted to share them. I started working on these late one night a little after 10-10-10, and after a few days of working on the final touches decided to get the samples done. These wont come out till August/September (so people can get them in time for 11-11-11) but here is the background of the coin.

About the Coin

This coin is being made to celebrate 11-11-11, which also happens to be Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day/Armistice Day/Veterans Day). Remembrance Day is observed in Commonwealth countries on November 11th to recall the official end of World War I in 1918, where the major hostilities of WWI were formally ended “at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month” with the German signing of the Armistice. On this day the Commonwealth countries remember the members of their armed forces who have died on duty since WWI. The red poppy has also become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day, due to the poem In Flanders Fields. These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders during the war.

This coin will measure 2 inches in diameter, with translucent enamels over textured metal, and in the center of the coin will be a suncatcher poppy (see through coloured enamel). Around the back of the coin is part of the poem ‘In Flanders Fields’ by John McCrae. Also featured on the back are barbed wire spirals (representing the battles/trenches), and crosses surrounded by flowers (representing those who died). The other side of the coin is a compass rose style design surrounded by some of the most common cache type icons, as well as soldiers and 11-11-11… These will all be trackable on www.geocaching.com and will have a custom icon.

There will be 100 of these coins made (maybe more if they are popular) and around 4 different versions.

Still need to work on the final colours and finishes but here is a peek at on side of one of the versions - Once I recieve the samples I'll try and get some better pictures up.

111111goldedtsmll.jpg

I like the design and I would like a complete set looking at this side only.

I alwas wanted something with the Red Poppy although WW I is not a war fought by the Dutch.

But I do like the thought behind it and the red poppy itself as well.

Might I suggest a two tone where the heart of the flower is black-nickel?

Thanks for the comments so far.

My other versions were all black nickel but different colours - but from the sample photos they look a bit dark and not sure if it works they way I'd hoped.

Will have to wait and see what they look like when I get them. But I like the idea of the two tone having the poppy black. Might have to try and photoshop some of the photos to see how that would look.

Thats a great design!

Sun catchers seam to be the new thing in coins. Starting to see more and more coins with transparent sections. Only problem is none of them come with any way to hang them in a window to cache the sun and really shine. Unless anyone knows of a coin case that can be hung.

check with a jewler, possibly even a mega mart...there are coin holders for people who wish to display their coins on a necklace.

ILYK

Thanks for the comments so far.

My other versions were all black nickel but different colours - but from the sample photos they look a bit dark and not sure if it works they way I'd hoped.

Will have to wait and see what they look like when I get them. But I like the idea of the two tone having the poppy black. Might have to try and photoshop some of the photos to see how that would look.

the thing i have noticed with translucent enamels on black nickel is the colours look dark and muddy. that colours on the big, black nickel 10-year anniversary coin just don't have the same sparkle or luminousness as the gold version of the coin. the portugal tranquility on black nickel is muddy looking also.

lara

Once I sort the final finishes I'll set up reservations and then can contact people closer to when they are released.

Here's a look at some of the main colours I have tried out. Top is the Antique Gold - other 2 were on black nickel.

011-11-11%20sample%20colours%201smll.jpg

colours.jpg

I have also set up a facebook page here for people who use it to get updates on my coins.

I must agree with RSG: translucents on black nickel don't look good (imho).

If you would do the translucents on gold or silver/nickel, they look better. And then the black nickel on some parts of the coin (heart, rim, compass points).

Depends on if it is IHE translucent or soft enamel translucent. IHE is applied before the finish, so the metal underneath is the original metal base. With soft enamel, the finish is applied first and then the enamel applied. Those are the ones that look dark and muddy.

I must agree with RSG: translucents on black nickel don't look good (imho).

If you would do the translucents on gold or silver/nickel, they look better. And then the black nickel on some parts of the coin (heart, rim, compass points).

Depends on if it is IHE translucent or soft enamel translucent. IHE is applied before the finish, so the metal underneath is the original metal base. With soft enamel, the finish is applied first and then the enamel applied. Those are the ones that look dark and muddy.

ah ha! i need to try and remember this. :)

I'm not a big fan of the suncatcher coins but this one is pretty sharp looking.

I'll go against some of the black nickel opinions by saying I really like black nickel with translucents depending on the color/color combinations used. I find that black nickel can really make some trans "pop" :)

Nice job.

tsun

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

I know it's still a long way away but I got photos of the sample coins and wanted to share them. I started working on these late one night a little after 10-10-10, and after a few days of working on the final touches decided to get the samples done. These wont come out till August/September (so people can get them in time for 11-11-11) but here is the background of the coin.

Ooh Yeah! I want a set!!!

I'm not a big fan of the suncatcher coins but this one is pretty sharp looking.

I'll go against some of the black nickel opinions by saying I really like black nickel with translucents depending on the color/color combinations used. I find that black nickel can really make some trans "pop" :)

Nice job.

tsun

so you are talking about the IHE translucents?

rsg

And here are both sides of the coin. I think the back side needs a couple of changes (might change the yellow over the elevens,

and the CW88/2011 was meant to be down one level). Otherwise I think this version is looking pretty good.

2111111goldedt2.jpg

I very much like this version as it is! Can't decide f r sure if it is antique or not but I do like it.

I very much like this version as it is! Can't decide f r sure if it is antique or not but I do like it.

Thanks - This version is Antique Gold.

I think the yellow over the 11-11-11... looks a little cloudy, so may change it to the other yellow.

Will see how it looks in person though.

I can't photoshop but if you would darken only the heart of the flower and the arrows (+ letters for backside) of the compassrose?

Just tried it - it's not perfect but is this what you meant?

0111111goldedtsampleedt.jpg

I've also been making a temporary reservations sheet (marking down people who have said they are interested in one or a full set), and so far around 50 of the 100 coins have been marked as reserved. I'll set up an official reservations sheet once the final versions are worked out, but people who have mentioned they are interested on here will take priority.

Edited by CW88

I can't photoshop but if you would darken only the heart of the flower and the arrows (+ letters for backside) of the compassrose?

I've also been making a temporary reservations sheet (marking down people who have said they are interested in one or a full set), and so far around 50 of the 100 coins have been marked as reserved. I'll set up an official reservations sheet once the final versions are worked out, but people who have mentioned they are interested on here will take priority.

I liked it better before..., but anyway I like to have one, as you know :)

That's what I meant and it doesn't look as good as I thought. Thanks for your effort.

That's what I meant and it doesn't look as good as I thought. Thanks for your effort.

Better put me down for a set then, Thanks.

Very nice geocoin! I will definitely buy a couple when they're available.

I must say that I think your 100 coins will sell out very fast!

So far the reservations are up to 60 (if there are 4 coins in the set).

Will see what the colours are like when I get the samples, but may reduce the set to 3 coins as 2 of the colours were quite similar.

That would lower the coins on the reserved list to about 50 and hopefully that would allow more people to get them that want them.