Cache icons move around on old Geocaching map

adaman797

Has anyone else noticed this? The cache icons displayed on the old Google Maps Geocaching maps move around each time you refresh. For example, one cache is displayed next to a road, then I move the map slightly, and the same cache is displayed on top of a building! This happens in Google Earth, I know, but I had not noticed this happening on the online Geocaching map.

This is directly related to the complaint that smiley's are going away on the maps too.

Several people have complained about this.

It started about two or three updates ago.

Interestingly, GS claims they can't reproduce the problem. With it being so easy to reproduce, well, I'll leave the next thought up to you.

It happens if you leave a map page open, two things seem to trip it, leaving the map page open, but don't touch it for a certain amount of time, seems to be between 10 to 30 minutes, or even if you don't leave it idle, it still seems to be a problem after a bit longer.

Reloading the page (not clicking the refresh map button, but actually using the browser reload) seems to fix the problem.

I think it was about a year ago or so there was a thread about cache icons moving about on the google map view of caches on the website, but if I recall someone here implied that it was something that was intentionally done by Groundspeak to discourage cachers from using that map to finds caches.

That was in Google Earth, Google Maps are typically accurate.

Has anyone else noticed this? The cache icons displayed on the old Google Maps Geocaching maps move around each time you refresh.

Yes, I've been noticing this regularly the past few days. Not sure how long it's been going on because I've been caching a lot more the past week than for several months previously. Caches which I know are on the trail show up off the trail. Some caches are just missing, and once lost it's hard to get them back. I don't have a sure way to reproduce it though.

Edward