Keg Cache?

stlhiker

My dad found a 10 gallon keg laying in a street and brought the thing home. So, now there's a big, silver metal keg sitting outside my back door. Anyway, are there any ideas on how to make a geocache out of this? Is that even a good idea?

Thanks for any feedback because I'm at a loss as what to do with this thing.

My dad found a 10 gallon keg laying in a street and brought the thing home. So, now there's a big, silver metal keg sitting outside my back door. Anyway, are there any ideas on how to make a geocache out of this? Is that even a good idea?

Unforunatly I don't have any good Ideas, but sound like a cache I would like to find!

It's highly likely that the keg contains engraving, stamping, or other markings as to the owner. Why not just try and find its owner instead of playing finders keepers?

It was sold by Anheuser Busch at a local store, the beer was drunk, and the keg abandon on the side of a road.

Unforunatly I don't have any good Ideas, but sound like a cache I would like to find!

I live just a few blocks from where there is a lot of student housing for the nearby university. There would be a lot of places to had a cache like that in plain site but it would probably get muggled pretty fast by a college student checking to see if it might not be empty.

As bflentje indicated, the keg belongs to someone. Whoever used it last probably had to pay a deposit to the store that "sold" it, and that store probably is charged by the beer distributor (any engraving on the keg is probably for the beer distributor).

Although it is "yours" now (finders keepers) and you can do with it what you want, you're better off turning it in for the deposit. Large caches are pretty cool to find but they have to be done right so they don't get muggled. I can't see a way of making it into a good waterproof geocache container.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

I'm a brewer. That side of me is coming out now. Posession of that keg doesn't mean you own it. breweries pay a couple hundred bucks a piece for those kegs. Please take it to your local store and return it. Would you want someone to find your GPS and keep it as theirs because they "found it on the side of the road"?

I didn't realize this was such a big deal so I'll return the keg soon.

I like your original idea. I have no advice to offer however. I dont know what's inside one of those but I think it would be fun cache . I wonder if you could cut a whole in the base and insert a waterproof container in it. Hiding it would be the next challenge. I'm sure you could get lots of suggestions for a good cache name.

I found a keg in a public open space one day. It's was in a fairly obscure location and I thought I might be able to make a cache out it. Unfortunately it was gone the next time I went past the same location.

It's highly likely that the keg contains engraving, stamping, or other markings as to the owner. Why not just try and find its owner instead of playing finders keepers?

It was sold by Anheuser Busch at a local store, the beer was drunk, and the keg abandon on the side of a road.

The bag full of money was abandoned on the side of the road. I guess that would make it yours too. Even though it was coated with purple ink.

I once found an abandoned Pizza Hut delivery car top, you know those things the drivers plop on the top of their car while delivering? I turned it in to the store and didn't even get a pizza. But I know I did the right thing.

I also once found a live blasting cap while caching. I very easily could have taken it home and played with it in the garage. But instead I turned it into the police, because that was the right thing to do.

Edited by bflentje

I didn't realize this was such a big deal so I'll return the keg soon.

It's not a big deal--it's just that many users of these forums like to make everything a big deal. :) Do what you want with it. If it's a Geocache and I come across it, I'll applaud you. If I don't, no harm done either.

The bag full of money was abandoned on the side of the road. I guess that would make it yours too. Even though it was coated with purple ink.

I once found an abandoned Pizza Hut delivery car top, you know those things the drivers plop on the top of their car while delivering? I turned it in to the store and didn't even get a pizza. But I know I did the right thing.

I also once found a live blasting cap while caching. I very easily could have taken it home and played with it in the garage. But instead I turned it into the police, because that was the right thing to do.

Were all the bills coated with purple ink?

In my line of work, I deal with kegs on a regular basis, seizing them from underage gophers intent on obtaining varying degrees of oblivion. When I seize one, I take the keg and the tap to a local retailer. (No, I don't get the deposit :lol: ) When I have inquired about tracing the purchase, I was told that it is possible to trace the purchase, if the decal is still affixed to the keg, but they cannot trace it's sale from the data permanently stamped onto the keg, as that only identifies which manufacturer/ brewer had the keg made.

From an ethics standpoint, I guess the question is, is it OK to keep something if you, or someone else, paid a deposit on that item. My personal view is that it is only OK to keep the item for a reasonable amount of time, to allow for it's use for it's intended purpose. While I think the idea of turning a keg into the world's largest blinkie is way kewl, my conscience would require that I turn it in.

"It's not a big deal--it's just that many users of these forums like to make everything a big deal. :) Do what you want with it. If it's a Geocache and I come across it, I'll applaud you. If I don't, no harm done either."

Whatever dude, I was just trying to do the right thing. While I'm not a Baylor grad (you'd think Christians would teach morals) I do know right from wrong. Perhaps a little bit of time spent in the confession box might help?

Besides, is a keg really family-friendly on this listing site? Maybe it's family-freindly in Europe. Devil's advocate is my favorite advocate.

Seeing how the United States was started with the plotting of rebellion in a bar, yes- it is family-friendly.

Wow. Gotta love this logic.

So that means you think that bars are children friendly too? This is what you're implying.

So children should be allowed in all bars?

I've seen bars I don't allow myself in even, and I'm far from a child.

"It's not a big deal--it's just that many users of these forums like to make everything a big deal. :) Do what you want with it. If it's a Geocache and I come across it, I'll applaud you. If I don't, no harm done either."

Whatever dude, I was just trying to do the right thing. While I'm not a Baylor grad (you'd think Christians would teach morals) I do know right from wrong. Perhaps a little bit of time spent in the confession box might help?

I am all for helping people do the right thing too. So lets make personal attacks off limits.

Were all the bills coated with purple ink?

HUGE eyeroll.

To be clear, I did not make it a big deal. There's making a big deal and then suggesting the right thing to do. I think a cache made out of a keg would be cool and worthy of a favorite point. So long as you're keg is on the up and up.

For those that do think it's a big deal.. We always hear many self righteous "explicit-permission" cachers (used very loosely for drama) raise the permission issue because it's the right thing to do. Where are you all today? :P:P:P

I'm curious what kind of keg this is, as I know of no commercially utilized kegs that hold 10 gallons.

A 1/4 keg is about 7-8 gallons, a 1/2 keg is about 15. Those are the standard sizes.

There is no way you could use a commercial keg as a cache as there is no reasonable opening into it. You could hammer out the bung, but then you just have a 2 inch hole into it. The valve stem needs specialized wrenches to remove and if you were to open it with some home made tool (assuming there is no pressure and stale beer in it to spray you), you would again have just a little access hole.

You could use a cutting wheel or a torch, but they leave nasty jagged edges.

The only thing I can think it might be is a Cornelius Keg. If it is, then it is not from a brewery, but from a 7-11 store. Even those are rarely used any more. They have been replaced by plastic containers for soda syrup. Nowadays they are used for kegging home made beer. I've heard of 10 gallon ones, but never seen one. Most are 5 gallon. 10 gallons of beer or syrup is pretty heavy to move around.

They would be usable as a cache though because the whole top removes pretty easily. I guarantee it would be stolen almost immediately, as they are pretty hard to come by. If I found it I would be sorely tempted to take it home, recondition it and use it in my home brewing operations.

I'm curious what kind of keg this is, as I know of no commercially utilized kegs that hold 10 gallons.

A 1/4 keg is about 7-8 gallons, a 1/2 keg is about 15. Those are the standard sizes.

There is no way you could use a commercial keg as a cache as there is no reasonable opening into it. You could hammer out the bung, but then you just have a 2 inch hole into it. The valve stem needs specialized wrenches to remove and if you were to open it with some home made tool (assuming there is no pressure and stale beer in it to spray you), you would again have just a little access hole.

It sounds like you've done a bit of "research" on the subject. I generally don't care for most keg beers, although have found a few exceptions, and prefer it from a bottle (like the Ommegang Hennephin I'm partaking in tonight).

I don't think I've ever seen a keg on the side of the road but had to wonder if it fell of the back of a truck bed.

I imagine one could come up with a way to use a keg for a cache container but it sound like it might be more trouble than it worth unless you could come up with the "perfect" location for it (I can't think of a good spot off the top of my head).

I am all for helping people do the right thing too. So lets make personal attacks off limits.

I'll stick with hoosier guy on this one. Say whatever you please about me--I'd still be amused and delighted to come across a keg cache. :D May the OP make a wise decision, whatever that may be.

Edited by BaylorGrad

Besides, is a keg really family-friendly on this listing site? Maybe it's family-freindly in Europe. Devil's advocate is my favorite advocate.

Seeing how the United States was started with the plotting of rebellion in a bar, yes- it is family-friendly.

As did Nazi Germany.

Godwin's Law. I win. Back to the doghouse you go!

Huh?

I always believed that the Revolutionary war was triggered by angry Englishmen who were upset at the colonists who were tainting King George's baby formula with French whiskey.

As did Nazi Germany.

Well, actually not. I was seriously pointing out a bit of little-known history in reference to your bit about plotting the US revolution in a bar. And there is no "doghouse" implied by Godwin's law.

It sounds like you've done a bit of "research" on the subject. I generally don't care for most keg beers, although have found a few exceptions, and prefer it from a bottle (like the Ommegang Hennephin I'm partaking in tonight).

"research" is a good word. I brew my own in my basement and have quite a few of the "corny" kegs. 5 gallon stainless steel containers, you've probably seen them outside stores years ago. They make perfect containers for homebrewed beer. Brewing my own lets me decide exactly how it will taste (or at least how the recipe tells me it will taste :rolleyes:, it does not always work out perfectly).

keg_system2.jpg

As did Nazi Germany.

Well, actually not. I was seriously pointing out a bit of little-known history in reference to your bit about plotting the US revolution in a bar. And there is no "doghouse" implied by Godwin's law.

Oh, but it's Saturday, so I win!!!

Edited by Sol seaker

"research" is a good word. I brew my own in my basement and have quite a few of the "corny" kegs. 5 gallon stainless steel containers, you've probably seen them outside stores years ago. They make perfect containers for homebrewed beer. Brewing my own lets me decide exactly how it will taste (or at least how the recipe tells me it will taste :rolleyes:, it does not always work out perfectly).

keg_system2.jpg

Friend request sent!

Actually, I homebrew also. About 15 years. I have many 2.5 gal and 5 gal cornys in my posession (all LEGALLY obtained). I have not ever seen a 10 gal. corny but would love one if it existed. I would guess that the keg in question is a 1/4 or 1/2 keg and the OP misstated the volume. No big deal. Volume doesn't enter into the issue. Many posters are correct. The keg is owned by the people who put the beer into it. The deposit is only collected to ensure that you bring it back when you are done enjoying the beer inside. I do applaud the OP for vowing to return the keg. It is the right thing to do. I also applaud the OP for handling many of the comments in this thread.

As for making a cache out of a legally obtained keg... a plasma cutter is the only way to go! Other methods not as efficient. A die grinder can be used to round over the edge once the whole has been cut.

NYPC: Had a bottle of Ommegang Abbey tonight. Always wonderful stuff!

keg_system2.jpg

Friend request sent!

Actually, I homebrew also. About 15 years. I have many 2.5 gal and 5 gal cornys in my posession (all LEGALLY obtained). I have not ever seen a 10 gal. corny but would love one if it existed. I would guess that the keg in question is a 1/4 or 1/2 keg and the OP misstated the volume. No big deal. Volume doesn't enter into the issue. Many posters are correct. The keg is owned by the people who put the beer into it. The deposit is only collected to ensure that you bring it back when you are done enjoying the beer inside. I do applaud the OP for vowing to return the keg. It is the right thing to do. I also applaud the OP for handling many of the comments in this thread.

As for making a cache out of a legally obtained keg... a plasma cutter is the only way to go! Other methods not as efficient. A die grinder can be used to round over the edge once the whole has been cut.

I do a little homebrewing too, but I stick with a carboy and bottles. I haven't upgraded to a keg yet, anyway, I guessed on the volume, it's a pretty big one though. My uncle does homebrewing too, but his keg is smaller than this.

Not sure if this'll work, but here's a picture of what it looks like: half_keg-3279.jpg

It'll be heading to a liquor store on Monday!

Haha!I'm a homebrewer as well, and also the president of our local homebrew club. We are the Gloucester County Homebrewers in NJ. 2 great hobbies. Go caching andcome home for a homebrew. We try to keep 4 on tap. I had a 10 gallon keg. They're great if you have room for them. I did not. I stick with 3's and 5's now. The 3 is great for mixed drinks.

I like all of their beers, but to keep this related to geocaching...

If you haven't done so, and get the chance, I'd recommend a visit to the Ommegang brewery for a nice geocaching weekend. When I was there I got to taste (and buy a bottle) the cave aged Hennepin. Apparently it's aged in the nearby Howe caverns where you'll also find an Earth cache.

The brewery is also very close to the town of Cooperstown where you can find a cache at the baseball hall of fame and one at doubleday field and another earthcache at the source of the Susquehanna river. There is also Glimmerglass park at the north end of the lake that has a bunch of caches along the trails in the park and a nice multi on a covered bridge.

As much as I am enjoying the homebrew discussion (I homebrew as well), it is off-topic so please take that discussion to another venue. Thanks.

STLhiker, did you figure out what kind of keg it is? I wonder if it's an old hoff stevens keg,rarely used anymore. That would work, but I'd think as stated earlier that someonewould steal it for scrap value.

MotorcycleMama, perhaps you'll notice that the OP is also talking about homebrewing with us..... Are you a moderator? You made it a point to not add any info to this topic, only chastise us for talking off topic? Perhaps you shouldn't have posted either. The rest of us at least added some valuable information to the original post.

Edited by twoodward15

As much as I am enjoying the homebrew discussion (I homebrew as well), it is off-topic so please take that discussion to another venue. Thanks.

STLhiker, did you figure out what kind of keg it is? I wonder if it's an old hoff stevens keg,rarely used anymore. That would work, but I'd think as stated earlier that someonewould steal it for scrap value.

MotorcycleMama, perhaps you'll notice that the OP is also talking about homebrewing with us..... Are you a moderator? You made it a point to not add any info to this topic, only chastise us for talking off topic? Perhaps you shouldn't have posted either. The rest of us at least added some valuable information to the original post.

You didn't notice this icon moderator.gif below the avatar?

Except that part where you go off on me for not demonstrating Christian morals.