Setting myself up for disappointment?

Rubbertoe

I snagged my first Travel Bug from a cache about 30 miles from here, and have already drug him around with me while camping this past weekend - and am planning to release him into one of my newly hidden caches within a couple of days.

Getting a bit excited about this new aspect of the hobby, for me, I decided to order a 4-pack of tags.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm gonna have fun with them after reading some of the stories in the forums here. People taking them without logging, people telling everyone your tag number so you get bogus miles and logs, and people just downright apparently stealing them.

Looks like TBs have a pretty limited lifespan. And it worries me more because I've already had one cache stolen, another one vandalized more than once... and other caches in the area have been stolen and trashed as well. And I've only placed like 5 or 6 I think.

I already dislike most humans... icon_biggrin.gif I'm hoping these 4 travel bugs don't give me 4 more reasons to validate my feelings.

You can bet your butt I'm gonna put detailed instructions on mine, so there will be no excuse that someone didn't understand what they were supposed to do. icon_razz.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:
You can bet your butt I'm gonna put detailed instructions on mine, so there will be no excuse that someone didn't understand what they were supposed to do.

You're expecting new yuppie cachers to keep an eye on their kids when caching? Kid pulls out "neat toy" (your traveller) and says "I want this!" while the parent is scribbling in the log. Parent says "Okay, just let me finish here." without looking up and seeing the kid waving the bug in the air.

Bugs going MIA are a fact of Geocaching life. If that really bothers you then you probably wouldn't be happy sending one out.

I've decided to expect that NONE of my Travel Bugs will reach their goal, or make it back home - so that way if they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

My bugs will have fairly simple goals - and like I said, I've got some laminated instruction cards I'm gonna attach with the tag... anything to give them a step up on their journey. icon_biggrin.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:
I've decided to expect that NONE of my Travel Bugs will reach their goal, or make it back home - so that way if they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised

Now if you'll adjust your expectations of your fellow humans accordingly, you may start to like more of them (us) icon_wink.gif

My one and only travel bug has gone MIA - kinda disappointing, but I did place it in a low density caching area. The current holders have indicated they plan to release it sometime... I hope they do.

As long as you're prepared for the fact that they may go missing, then you'll be OK. They can be a bit of fun, and it's always nice to get a notification out of the blue that it's moved to a new location.

Let's see, of my bugs:

1. The Poky Little Puppy. Made it from Florida all the way to Kansas, but then I asked the holder to mail it back to be because it was a one-of-a-kind item and I was worried it would go missing. It's now my "personal travel bug" and has logged over 8,000 miles.

2. Whistlin' Dixie. Started in Florida in November, still around, but hasn't moved since April, after not moving since January. icon_smile.gif

3. Jasons Excuse. Started in Florida in December. Some joker took it to NY and never logged it or placed it anywhere else. MIA, presumed lost.

4. Jasons Excuse II. Left Florida in April, recently showed up in Atlanta. 600 miles.

5. This is Your Life, Infosponge! After quickly making it from Florida to Michigan and it's first goal, it was taken by a kid who didn't know what to do with it and later lied about having it. Thank goodness it was just a postcard with a TB # on it. It made it 1000+ miles, and I'm going to make a new post card and re-start it soon.

6. Indy Keychain. Started in Indianapolis and headed for Florida. Made it about 100 miles and is now in limbo...in the hands of a cacher that went inactive. Been trying to get in touch with them to have it mailed back to me.

7. Tarpon Springs Key Chain. Started in Pennsylvania and headed for Florida. Was taken from a cache almost immediately and never logged back in November. Was missing and presumed gone until showing up last night 17 miles from where it started. The person who took it and didn't log it was hanging on to it to take it somewhere exotic, but that never happened.

8. Flat Stanley. Made it from Florida all the way to it's goal in Colorado, but then wound up in the hands of someone who didn't have a GPS. It was moved back to Georgia and kidnapped by some strange folks but released again and is now in Alabama. Logged almost 1900 miles, not counting the un-logged trip to Colorado and back.

So...my results have been mixed, but never boring. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

You're expecting new yuppie cachers to keep an eye on their kids when caching? Kid pulls out "neat toy" (your traveller) and says "I want this!" while the parent is scribbling in the log. Parent says "Okay, just let me finish here." without looking up and seeing the kid waving the bug in the air.

I'm not worried about Yuppie Spawn waving *my* travel bug around.